• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 joemyself

joemyself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Been thinking about getting a Four Wheel Camper for my Tacoma. What kind of MPGs are you getting with your Tacoma + FWC? Also, do you ever feel like they're too underpowered with a loaded FWC? Would be helpful to include if you are stock or if you have bigger tires, heavier bumpers, etc that would also affect mileage.. Thanks! 

Edited by joemyself, 02 May 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#2 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Good question. You'll find a wide variety of answers. It really depends on how and where you drive, what you've done to your suspension, how much stuff you carry, and whether your FWC will be on full time or part time. As I recall, there was a good discussion about campers and mpg on the Expedition Portal, plus many related discussions here.

I have a 2016 Tacoma (SR5, V6, automatic, 4x4, access cab, stock except for e-rated stock size Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires, RideRite airbags, Rancho adjustable shocks/struts). I carry a 2016 Fleet (front dinette with typical kitchen, furnace, hot water, 200 watt flexible solar panels on roof; dry weight approx. 1320#). My camper is on the truck 5 months out of the year and 755 of the time I'm by myself. I try to pack as lightly and simply as possible (think backpacking with a truck/camper), but I estimate I'm still typically 500 lbs. over GVW. Airbags are typically inflated 45/25 lbs (left/right); tires 45/55 lbs (front/back), shocks are set 7 front and 8 rear. I adjust tires, airbags, shocks depending on road conditions, handling and how much weight I'm carrying. It took me a while to learn what combos work best in what conditions. If you search the WTW truck forum you'll find many lively discussions about suspension modifications and handling issues. I have 24,000 miles on this combo (only 8000 miles with adjustable shocks, which I find are essential for my needs).

I drive very conservatively and because of this, generally avoid high speed highways. The majority of miles are paved roads at 45-60 mph, but I log 2500-3500 miles per summer on high-speed  (well-graded) and low speed (wash board, pot-holed, rocky, sandy) FS and BLM roads. I occasionally travel on 4-wheel drive roads, but I don't seek them out. I consistently average 20+ mpg (19-22 mpg) across all conditions. In my experience, driving above 65 mph and/or driving into headwinds are mpg killers and can easily drop mpg's down into the 15-17 mph range. The truck can handle mountain passes (4-7+% grades), but I drop my speed to 40-50 mph, but I could push it to 55+ mph if I had to. If I'm conservative, my truck/camper combo easily carries the load and handles well. It drives best with ECT engaged and it doesn't seem to change my mpg. I often use the manual shifting mode to ascend/descend big mountain passes. If I'm holding up traffic, even one vehicle, I pull over or otherwise make it easy to be passed. I have the retired luxury of not being in a hurry but I know other folks sometimes are.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your research and decision!

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

Redfish has a good report.

My rig is similiar: a 2013 Tacoma (SR5, V6, automatic, 4x4, access cab, stock except for e-rated - LT265R75/16 HanKooks) . Our 2012 Eagle modified shell is mounted full time (bolted down). (For details click on the link under my signature). Truck just turned 51,000 miles. I check the lock nuts every month. Still tight after 5 years. We average 9,500 miles per year. 5,000 camping. 300 miles bad desert washboard mostly to the Saline Valley hot springs because at age 74 none of my old desert buddies do this activity any more.

Redfish is getting better overall milege because he drives slower. We camp 30 days per year. 14 in Death Valley, The rest of the time we remove the camping modules except for the Engel compressor fridege use the truck to haul my RC airplanes. On pavement I drive below 70mph. 

Mileges: In Calif I average 16.5 empty on the highway except in Oregon...18,5 mpg. Reason only one interstate highway. Rest of the roads 55mph. Going to Death Valley for a week...700 pounds overweight going North (uphill) 15.5 mpg. Going south 300 pounds lighter 17.5. Towing the Samurai 14,5. Around town 14.5 on 91 octane fuel (better performance and one mpg better mileage.)

GVWR Truck is 5500 with "P" series tires Load Range C. You will need "E" range tires with a camper. They are rated at 6,000 pounds each at 80 psi. We keep them at 35psi on highway and 30psi off-road. So about 3,000 pounds each or 12,000 pounds total. Camper and truck no driver, full tank of fuel weighs 5,500 pounds.

Our modified shell with no food, water, misc camping supplies weighs 1,100 pounds. The regular camper weighs about 300 pounds more. 

I bought the camper to go to the desert (14 days per year) .Solo camping. The wife goes with me to state parks and trips the other 14 days. If you do mostly developed camping (close to food stores) you don't need to haul everything.

Truck size

The Fleet or Eagle (used) are the same size between the wheel wells. The 7 inch difference is above truck bed rails. Its very tight for a couple. (Eagle is perfect Solo). If you can afford to replace the truck too. Buy a Full size truck and a Hawk. You will be very happy with that combination. 

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 02 May 2018 - 04:00 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#4 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

There is an mpg reports thread. It is for all trucks but you can search for tacoma and  find plenty, including mine:

http://www.wanderthe...397-mpg-report/

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

I am around 16 mpg with a heavily optioned Fleet flatbed on a 16 Tacoma V6 Double Cab 4x4.    This is primarily highway driving in the rockies - 65-75 mph, hilly terrain as well as dirt ams secondary roads.   Plenty of power (for a camper, not a sports car).    We back off to 50 - 55mph going up to Eisenhower Tunnel/ Vail Pass, but probably could push it harder, just don't see the point. 

You will need to do some suspension work to carry a Fleet on a Tacoma. 

Edited by rando, 02 May 2018 - 04:35 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 lactic

lactic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

I’m in a 2017 Tacoma dual cab with Fleet shell. Fox 2.0 coils in front and Fox adjustable remote shocks in rear. Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles. Stock leaf springs for now but will probably have new ones made up since that camper will stay on the majority of the time. Wildpeak AT3W in 285/70/17 so pushing some extra meat.

Did a full tank of strictly rolling highway miles for work and averaged 16mpg. My biggest grip is the 15G gas tank so I’ll be looking for options if I don’t upgrade to another platform first.

Also adding CBI aluminum bumper and winch next week which will probably cost me 1 mpg but will make me feel better about driving around the west at night (deer).
IMG_6546.JPG

#7 bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay and where my truck is parked

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

2013 DCLB with an Eagle, lifted with icons, front steel bumper and 255 75 17's. Averaging around 14-15mpg. Not great and has limited my Baja trips in the past when I did not prepare. underpowered in the mountains big time. 

#8 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

I’m in a 2017 Tacoma dual cab with Fleet shell. Fox 2.0 coils in front and Fox adjustable remote shocks in rear. Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles. Stock leaf springs for now but will probably have new ones made up since that camper will stay on the majority of the time. Wildpeak AT3W in 285/70/17 so pushing some extra meat.

Did a full tank of strictly rolling highway miles for work and averaged 16mpg. My biggest grip is the 15G gas tank so I’ll be looking for options if I don’t upgrade to another platform first.

Also adding CBI aluminum bumper and winch next week which will probably cost me 1 mpg but will make me feel better about driving around the west at night (deer).
attachicon.gifIMG_6546.JPG

I thought the tank size was the same as 2nd generation which is 21.1 gal and even that is small, especially driving rough roads where I find I get as little as 12 mpg in deep sand.

#9 lactic

lactic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

I thought the tank size was the same as 2nd generation which is 21.1 gal and even that is small, especially driving rough roads where I find I get as little as 12 mpg in deep sand.

I might be. I just know that when I run to the low fuel light, it takes between 15-16 to full. I have heard that you can actually go another 100 miles after the light comes on based on residual in the tank. Don’t know if I want to test that theory though!

#10 pghjon

pghjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

The gen 3 tacoma is 21.1 gallons. I've run it down to 0.5 gallons before filling up. 2016 access cab

Edited by pghjon, 02 May 2018 - 08:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg, mileage, fwc, tacoma, toyota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users