21 replies to this topic

#11 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe/Albuquerque Area, NM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:48 AM

2006 Tacoma Double Cab here, higher end suspension upgrades, raised up a couple inches and D off-road tires. I have a Swift on it all the time so far.

First trip with it, I drove normal on the interstate, 75-80. Drove well but Mileage was 14-15 and I thought, this is terrible.

Went out next time with heavier load of stuff, and stayed on highways (not interstate), going around 60 most of the time and got close to 20 MPG. Big difference. If I go 55, I can get back above 20.

#12 joemyself

joemyself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies I really appreciate the feedback. I'm really torn between keeping my Tacoma (which I've already put almost 14k into) and getting a Swift. Other option is to sell the Tacoma and get a full sized Ram 2500 with diesel and add a Hawk. I love the size of the Tacoma (for tight trails in the Sierra Nevada) but fear I'll get terrible gas mileage and that storage will be an issue. I like the Ram for its added power and space, but fear it's too big of a rig for the trails I like to do. They both have their pro's and cons and It's been one hell of a decision and I keep going back and forth. lol. Hoping to make a decision after I see some setups in person at Overland Expo. 

#13 pghjon

pghjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

my opinion ...

You should keep your truck small based on this "...but fear it's too big of a rig for the trails I like to do."

If a larger truck is going to stop you from doing what you enjoy doing, you are going to regret your decision even with more space.

It's far easier to shrink the amount of stuff you take with you than it is to shrink a larger vehicle.

Edited by pghjon, 05 May 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#14 JimBow

JimBow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

I get 16 mpg in my 2010 Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and Fleet. It doesn’t seem to matter what type of driving I’m doing. I always get about 16 mpg. I do have oversized e-rated BFG all terrain tires. I like the reliability of the Tacoma, especially with the 4 cylinder timing chain engine and a 5 manual transmission.

#15 joemyself

joemyself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:11 AM

my opinion ...

You should keep your truck small based on this "...but fear it's too big of a rig for the trails I like to do."

If a larger truck is going to stop you from doing what you enjoy doing, you are going to regret your decision even with more space.

It's far easier to shrink the amount of stuff you take with you than it is to shrink a larger vehicle.

Thanks for your advice, you've got a great point. I'm pretty sure this is what my decision will be: sell my short bed Tacoma and get an access cab long bed Tacoma. This would allow me to keep the midsize setup but have more room with a FWC Fleet. 

#16 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

I guess I'm playing the devils advocate when I say that I consistently get 15-17 mpg on varying road conditions with my f350 and grandby.  Believe me, I'm a huge toyota fan my 88' 4runner is my pride and joy but I've never had to modify anything with the ford or worry about weight.  It holds around 30 gallons of diesel so it has a huge range.  I've also never had to turn around due to a road being too rough or narrow, if that were the case I'd rather be hiking it anyways.  I also have two kids and two dogs so I need the extra space, some folks don't.  I hope you find the right set up.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#17 303Dizzy

303Dizzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

Drove from Denver to Bluff Utah area and back and averaged just under 16mpg.  I have a fleet shell with couch.   I have basic all season tires at 40psi.  I also added a afe air intake.  I feel like the power is alright.  I can climb the passes at 80 mph on the interstate.    

#18 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:50 AM

I get about 17 most of the time with 2011 Tacoma Access Cab and Fleet.  I run slightly taller E rated KO2 tires, Firestone air bags and upgraded shocks.  I find that the mileage drops off substantially at anything over 65 MPH.  I have a couple of spots that I like to fish that you just flat can not get into with a bigger truck because of the required turning radius, but 99% of the places I camp I could get to with any well equipped 4X4.  And there are some parking structures that I occasionally go into that would be really difficult without the slightly smaller size and turning ability.  And my biggest reason I can fit the camper, truck and car side by side in my garage, but could not with a wider truck.  I am 300 lbs over weight and do not feel underpowered at all.  I would love to get the mileage of my Prius, have it corner like my 911 did or run the quarter mile like a Shelby cobra, but after all it is a pickup camper and if that is your expectation it functions fine.

#19 joemyself

joemyself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:10 AM

I get about 17 most of the time with 2011 Tacoma Access Cab and Fleet.  I run slightly taller E rated KO2 tires, Firestone air bags and upgraded shocks.  I find that the mileage drops off substantially at anything over 65 MPH.  I have a couple of spots that I like to fish that you just flat can not get into with a bigger truck because of the required turning radius, but 99% of the places I camp I could get to with any well equipped 4X4.  And there are some parking structures that I occasionally go into that would be really difficult without the slightly smaller size and turning ability.  And my biggest reason I can fit the camper, truck and car side by side in my garage, but could not with a wider truck.  I am 300 lbs over weight and do not feel underpowered at all.  I would love to get the mileage of my Prius, have it corner like my 911 did or run the quarter mile like a Shelby cobra, but after all it is a pickup camper and if that is your expectation it functions fine.

Thanks for your info! It sounds like the sweet spot for these Tacoma's w/ campers is in the 55-65 mph range. Do you have an auto or manual transmission? Also what size are your tires?

#20 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

2017 DCSB with 6MT and FWC Swift full camper. 2 inch lift standard shocks and airbags. Stock tires. Getting about 15mpg average. Agreed the range bothers me just as much as the lackluster MPG. The only full size that will beat this would be F-150 ecoboost but almost any lift or tire/wheel increase will quickly put it back to this range. 

I brooded about this for months before buying this rig. The colorado diesel will beat it hands down but as you will see in the other forums it comes at a price. An older full size diesel will beat it too but will be rolling coal and modified.

It is just difficult to have an adventure vehicle get out of the mid teens. 

The Tacoma is no powerhouse and despite the cult following has nothing super special about it technically.

I ultimately just went with what was the most fun to drive and the Taco with manual transmission won hands down. There is a lot of chatter about he Orange Virus tune which apparently transforms the drive-ability and eeks out another 1.5 mpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg, mileage, fwc, tacoma, toyota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users