Photo
- - - - -

Am I crazy? Switching Tacoma's for a Fleet.

fwc tacoma fleet swift long bed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 joemyself

joemyself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:57 AM

I currently have a Toyota Tacoma double cab short bed that's been great for the last couple years. But now it's time for a camper. I really like the FWC Fleet but it's too long for my short bed. I know there is the Swift that would fit my truck but it's just too small for my liking and needs. Tell me if I'm crazy, but I'm considering selling my DCSB to get the same truck only an access cab with a long bed that will fit the Fleet. The bummer part is I've already put about $13k worth of upgrades into the truck and taking the parts off and putting on the new truck wouldn't be an option. I'd have to start from scratch unless I can find an already upgraded truck for sale. 

What do you all think? Fleet owners, is it worth it? Swift owners, do you ever wish you had the Fleet? Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

I guess it depends on how you plan on using your camper.   The swift is small, so if there are two of you and you are planning longer trips in colder seasons (when you would spend much more time inside), I imagine it would get quite cramped.   Personally,  I wasn't even interested in the Fleet until they came out with the flatbed models, which are far roomier.   I don't think putting a fleet in a short bed is really a good idea, given the weight and center of gravity.

Another consideration would be how often you are going to use the camper?  If it is going to be mounted full time, then switching to the right truck for the job seems like a good idea, and you start fresh to equip the truck specifically for the camper.   If this is something you take on and off, then you would need to take into consideration what else you use the truck for - which may impact the access cab/double cab, sb/lb decision. 

Finally, consider if the upgrades you already have will really work well with the camper.   You will want suspension/tires set up for a heavy load, and want to consider the total weight.   With a fleet on a Tacoma, you WILL be significantly over GVWR, so it is important to consider the weight of your other additions.   Adding steel bumpers/skids/sliders, winches, swingouts etc to an already overloaded truck can get you dangerously overloaded in a hurry. 

Finally if you are buying used, there are far more Fleets/Eagles out there than swifts. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Well stated by Rando.  Given the demand for Tacomas, you might do okay recovering the cost of the upgrades.  Determine what is your optimal camper, then determine the truck you need for the camper.  If you try to fit a camper to your existing truck, you might be dissatisfied in the future.  Lots of discussion on the forum about suspension upgrades especially for Tacomas.

Cheers

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Not crazy. If you want a camper, you'll need the truck to carry it. Having a camper and all the things that go with it is a different ballgame.

There's more than one guy out there driving a dually not because he really wanted a dually but because he needs it for his camper. That's at one end of the spectrum and he could go smaller camper and truck. You're at the other end, can't really go smaller with either item.

If you're even thinking new truck I suggest you consider well the whole package for what you want to do, want to carry, where you'll travel etc.

And take note of Rando's comment about being over GVWR. You really don't want any surprises or to bummed after spending new money.

#5 joemyself

joemyself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

Thanks everyone for helping me confirm my decision. The camper will be on the truck full time. I camp a lot with my girlfriend and it will also serve as a home for extended trips to Baja and Central America so I think the extra space of a Fleet will be very beneficial. 

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:16 AM

If it is often two of you, and you are planning extended trips, then you definitely want at least a Fleet.   If it is going to be on full time, have you considered the flatbed model?  These are way more spacious and better laid out than the slide-in and offer much more storage.  The downside is they are more expensive, and you need a flatbed - but if you are getting a truck specifically for this purpose it could be an opportunity to go the flatbed route. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 Sharx

Sharx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:32 AM

Having the exact Tacoma you are talking about I can give you my opinion.  I had an old '99 Tacoma I loved so that made my upgrade to my current '13 Access cab an easy decision.  I did not need a double cab for hauling extra people (a strong consideration for that model) and wanted a larger long bed since I knew I would want to haul stuff in the bed more.  I found the Access cab could actually fit 2 adults in back (for short trips) but having the long bed was ideal when needed.  There is alot of room behind the seats in an Access cab.  Having the strong V6 they put in is so much more than my old 4 banger too.  I did not buy the truck to eventually have a camper.  That idea came later.  Once I found the '15 Fleet (front dinette) I have, it was a perfect fit.  You still have part of it hanging off the back though, but taking off the front camper bumpers and replacing them with a smaller (or shorter width) bumpers moved it into the bed a couple more inches.  Mine is installed full time and I wish sometimes it was even roomier.  I checked out a Swift and thought I was glad I had my Fleet.  But that camper is right when you have to have it for a short bed.  I agree with what was said above that the amount you use the camper should determine what camper you get.  The more you want to, the larger you will want it.

As for changing Taco's, I would say you will have no problem selling the one you have since the used Taco mkt. is white-hot.  Don't trade it in at a dealer and get chapped, sell it privately.  For getting another long bed Access cab, I recommend doing what I have been doing for the last 3 vehicle purchases I have made.  Find a 1-2 year old (that someone else bought new) model with very low mileage on the internet, but try to find one that is on another dealer's lot, not Toyota's.  Mine was at a Ford dealer, used with only 5100 miles on it.  I saved well over $10k buying it this way.  Let the original owner take the "bath" on it.  I even found out 2 years after buying it, the blue book had it for $2k more than I paid.  The reason you can get a well checked out vehicle (dealer will not resell a used piece of crap on their lot) and save a bunch of money is that they do not want a Toyota truck on their lot with a bunch of Ford trucks selling next to it.  They want to get rid of it ASAP.  They chapped the original owner who traded it in so they have plenty of wiggle room to save you money.  After all, 5100 miles is practically brand new.  Then upgrade what you get to your liking (especially suspension and E tires).  My 2 cents...out.

Edited by Sharx, 08 May 2018 - 06:40 AM.

#8 Anchored nomad

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

Isn't the Swift only like 6" shorter than the Fleet?

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

I think it is almost a foot shorter.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

All great posts!

I have a 2015 FWC Hawk slide-in in my F-350.

But given the overall weight of the above package, the wife and I went looking for alternative vehicles when she decided to sell her MB GLA250.

What did she buy?  A 2107 Taco 4 door, long bed.  Why?  Because we might put a flatbed Fleet on it.  At that time we will sell the Hawk and the Super Duty.  why the 4 door Taco?  My two girls, Soli (aka SoSo) and Luna (aka LuLu) (both Black Labs) ride on the back seat.

Granted, the Taco will require about $3-4K in suspension and tire suspension/gearing upgrades to carry the flatbed/camper.  Not to mention or include front/rear bumpers and Warn winch.

How can you not like this setup?

Screenshot_2018-05-08_20.37.22.png

Edited by Advmoto18, 09 May 2018 - 12:38 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fwc, tacoma, fleet, swift, long bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users