• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

We are headed out to the Maze in Canyonlands next weekend, and expect to do 100 - 200 miles of rough dirt roads over 5 days of exploring.     I am not particularly worried about traction for this trip, but I have heard the roads in the Maze have been getting rougher, so it seems prudent to reduce air pressure at least for comfort.  

My question is how low do folks go, given the heavy loads that our trucks carry? 

For reference, I have 235/85R16 load range E BFG AT KO2's and normally run 55 psi in the rear and 48 psi in the front based on load inflation tables.   For previous trips (eg Death Valley) I have lowered the pressure to 45/40 front/rear, but this didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I am wondering if it would be safe/prudent to go lower.   On my pop-top Landcruiser, I would go down to about 25 - 30 psi for trips like the Needles/Elephant Hill and that seemed to improve slick rock traction and soften the ride. 

Thanks!

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

I had the same size tires on my Tacoma and carried a FWC Eagle on the back.  I typically went to 25 in rear and 20 in front and never had issues.  

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

Hay Rando
One thing I would mention is hard cornering slow or fast increases chances of rolling off the bead. Carry a strong ratchet strap to help reseat if this should happen.
Also starting fluid for reseating should one come off. YouTube that one, to learn how not to be taken lightly.

Russ

Edited by CougarCouple, 08 May 2018 - 03:42 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

I would look at the tire load tables and get the truck on some cat scales. With your load range E you could probably drop them quite a bit depending on weight

2014 FWC Hawk

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

After doing the research I should have done BEFORE starting a new thread, I found this:

http://www.wanderthe...-low-do-you-go/

Unfortunately it seems that opinions on how low to go are all over the place - from about 17 - 45 psi.   I may start at 40/45 for the fast washboard stuff (en route to Hans Flat ranger station) and then go lower for the slower stuff beyond there.   

The thing that confuses me is that on road the wisdom for keeping a certain tire pressure is to stop the tire flexing, heat building up, and the tire failing.   For much of the dirt road driving that many of us do, driving on generally decent but washboard roads, at 40 - 50 mph, it seems that you could have a lot of heat build up from airing down, as the whole point is to absorb some of the shock in the softer tires.   It seems like a catch 22. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

I would look at the tire load tables and get the truck on some cat scales. With your load range E you could probably drop them quite a bit depending on weight

That is the thing - the toyo tire load table is how I came up with the my 55/48 on road pressure.   I don't see how you can use these tables to calculate a minimum pressure, but maybe I am doing it wrong. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

I had the same size tires on my Tacoma and carried a FWC Eagle on the back.  I typically went to 25 in rear and 20 in front and never had issues.  

Good info.   Did you limit your top speed when aired down?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

The question I think you want answered is this:

"What tire pressures for my rig should I use if I go off-road where I plan to travel under these circumstances"

1) estimated 100-200 mile trip

2) washboard roads

3) no sand/mud expected

I think the key to your last question is paramount: You plan to drive at 40-50MPH and only want to soften the ride somewhat, right? As you note, when tires are run for any length of time, the sidewall suffers. That is greatly increased by the speed at which you drive on them. In addition, since you are on washboard roads, not muddy tracks or sandy tracks, under inflation heat build up on the sidewalls is increased I believe when you go that fast.

Where I am going with this is just that I don't think you can have it both ways on what may be a washboard surface as opposed to a more forgiving on at those speeds. 

The reality is you are going to get bounced around but you are trading a smooth ride for improper tire inflation based on the SPEED and the SURFACE of the road. Unless you plan on stopping many times on the journey where the tires could cool down, heat will build up and that isn't good for the tires.

Others have mentioned the risk of under inflation causing the tire to come off the bead/rim as well. Maybe it's just me, but I would approach what you have described at a much lower speed anyway. Furthermore, if some reduction in tire pressure is your goal to soften the ride why not try about five miles and see how it goes and if you wanted to, THAT is the time to reduce pressure by 10-15% to see if that helps. However, before I did that I would reduce my speed to 35-40 and see how the ride is then.

I know, its not an interstate highway so the ride should be expected to be not as smooth. You are trading SPEED for a comfortable RIDE at a possible cost of tire damage/potential dismounting.

Have you asked the mfger about running at that pressure on those tires and given them the conditions you outlined here?

Just sayin'......

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:35 PM

Definitely a good idea about an iterative approach - lower the tire pressure a little, see how it handles and check the tire temperature again.   Things also change once you get into the Park, and then we are talking about 5-20Mph speeds, so lower tire pressure is also safer and we could lower further. 

My experience has definitely been that there is an optimum (and also a worst) speed for washboard when your suspension system can cancel the oscillations, and you are well away from the resonant frequency that caused the corrugations.   So either faster or slower than the 'typical speed' that caused the washboard.    This often seems to be around 40mph.  I guess you could try and drive much slower than the resonant frequency, but given the distances, I am not sure driving slower would be a reasonable option.   I am not talking about 4wd roads here, but wide gravel roads with washboard, of which there a many of in Robbers Roost/The Maze area.

I guess you have more faith in CS reps for BFG than I do.    Their advice appears to be to fit the same size tires as OEM and follow the guidance on the data plate on your door jamb.   I guess I understand this given that they gain nothing but opening themselves up to liability by suggesting anything else. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:47 AM

FWIW with our 9100 lbs. CTD/Camper on 315/70R17 Yoko's I normally run 50 psi on pavement (max for this tire). I drop that to 40 psi on rough or washboard. If I had better shocks than the 5160's I wouldn't drop it at all. I've found that most washboard roads live up to the old cliche' of them being "4-40 roads", and I usually opt for the 40.

Desert racers run their tires at pavement pressures, not rock crawler pressures.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, Tire Pressure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users