11 replies to this topic

#1 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:05 AM

Several months ago I walked into my local truck store to order some Firestone air bags.  The man said;  He  prefer Ride Rite air bags, besides they are made by the same comp.   Asked, why, are they better?  Said they have a bump stop built into the air bag, so if your bags go, you got some support there.  Adding again that he believed they where just a better bag.  

I don't recall anyone talking about the Ride Rites on this forum.  I may be wrong, but in need some feed back on this subject.

Truck---2017 tundra,4wh drive TRD and Towing package.

Camper---Four Wheel Camper, Standard Hawk with Refer. heater, stove, sink.

Also, what is best way to install on truck?

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:41 AM

I believe Ride Right is the Firestone brand  for pickups and smaller vehicles than semi's. Instructions with the bags are pretty comprehensive for a DIY install.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

I don't think ride rite bags have built in bump stops.   The ones for my 2016 Tacoma certainly don't.  However, I am not sure firestone sells anything besides their 'ride rite' branded air springs for the light truck market, so it is likely a moot point anyway. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

Several months ago I walked into my local truck store to order some Firestone air bags.  The man said;  He  prefer Ride Rite air bags, besides they are made by the same comp.   Asked, why, are they better?  Said they have a bump stop built into the air bag, so if your bags go, you got some support there.  Adding again that he believed they where just a better bag.  

I don't recall anyone talking about the Ride Rites on this forum.  I may be wrong, but in need some feed back on this subject.

Truck---2017 tundra,4wh drive TRD and Towing package.

Camper---Four Wheel Camper, Standard Hawk with Refer. heater, stove, sink.

Also, what is best way to install on truck?

There may have been some confusion over brands in your conversation with the man.  He may have been referring to Air Lift-brand bags.  We see on this Air Lift web page for the 2017 Tundra that Air Lift's "Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate" bags have an internal jounce bumper (bump stop).

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Thank you for your replies.   IF Old Crow is right, then which air bag is better, Air Lift or Firestone?

#6 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Just found a Dec. 2015 discussion that may answer my questions.   If anybody as updated info. would like to know.

#7 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

I have the airlift bags on my 2012 Tundra, and would recommend going with Firestone.

Airlift air bags do have an internal bump stop. They also have plastic end caps, which becomes the point of failure when the bag limits droop and you pull the metal thread inserts out of the end plate - ask me how I know.

The airlift bump stops are very harsh, way more than stock.

I would up adding a rear lift (Icon leaf spring pack) and Daystar cradles to eliminate the combination of damaging the bags under droop, and constantly hitting the harsh airlift bump stop.

I wish there was an option that used firestone bags and kept the stock bump stops. May just have to design some one of these days.

#8 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:49 PM

These are Firestone bags. I had mine installed by a off road specialty shop. Mine still have the factory bump stops. 

BRuDXim.jpg

#9 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:05 AM

If it's not too late, you might want to add Hellwig bigwig bags to your list of options.  They take 1/2 the air pressure for the same support which equates to better ride and have nearly double the travel.   The bigger the bags the better the ride.

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#10 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

I have the Firestone airbags on my 2014 Tundra, I think their is only one option from Firestone, and they do have the "Ride-Rite" name in their somewhere. I also have the Daystar cradles.

I also replaced my leaf pack with a full Dakar pack, and added an additional Dakar XL leaf into the pack. My leaf packs seem to carry the majority of the load, and the airbags are there to supplement for differing loads. I like the idea that in the event of an airbag failure in the middle of nowhere, i know my leaf packs will get me home

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Air bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users