2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

To add information to the above post. Saline Warm Springs was included inside the boundary of Death Valley National Park in 1994. The National Park Service is proposing a management plan for Saline. The public is invited to comment on the proposal -

Saline Valley Warm Springs Management Plan EIS Death Valley National Park » Saline Valley Warm Springs Management Plan EIS » Document List

The National Park Service (NPS) invites you to review and comment on the Saline Valley Warm Springs Draft Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (draft plan/EIS). Because your feedback is essential to the development of the EIS, we are asking for your thoughtful review and comments during the 60-day comment period, concluding July 2, 2018.
The plan's purpose is to develop a management strategy for the Saline Valley Warm Springs area that will complement the Death Valley National Park General Management Plan (GMP). The draft plan/EIS is intended to provide a framework for: natural and cultural resources management; administration and operations; and managing visitor use at the warm springs area.

You are encouraged to comment on the draft plan/EIS through this website. Comments can be made by clicking on the "Open for Comment" link at the left side of this page and selecting the document and then clicking "Comment Now" button. You may also mail or hand-deliver your written comments to Superintendent Mike Reynolds, Death Valley National Park, P.O. Box 579, Death Valley, CA 92328.

A limited number of hard copy documents are available at park headquarters in addition to public libraries in Bishop, CA, Lone Pine, CA, Pahrump, NV, Ridgecrest, VA, and the Inyo County Free Library in Independence, CA.

The NPS will hold public meetings during the comment period near the park at the following locations:

•Sunday, May 27, 2018 from 1:00-2:00pm PT at the Saline Valley Warm Springs
•Tuesday, May 29, 2018 from 5:30-7:30pm PT at the Ridgecrest Historical Society, 230 West Ridgecrest Blvd, Ridgecrest, CA 93555
•Wednesday, May 30, 2018 from 5:30-7:30pm PT at the Inyo Council for the Arts, 137 South Main St, Bishop, CA 93514

In addition to the public meetings, the NPS will host a webinar on Thursday May 31 at 5:30pm PT. For more information and to register click on 'Meeting Notices.'

As vital contributors to the planning process, we hope you take the opportunity to provide feedback, and if possible, join us at the public meetings. Thank you.

Superintendent Mike Reynolds
Death Valley National Park
P.O. Box 579,
Death Valley, CA 92328

Document List:
https://parkplanning...projectID=39438

The link in the previous post is to the position paper that is being adopted by a group called  the Saline Preservation Association

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

Is anyone planning on attending any of the meetings?

I hope to make it to the Ridgecrest one.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Been down that road with BLM, they are gunna do what they want. Will discount what does not fall into their plans as not viable.
Their plan will be used to put more employees on staff to help make SVS a " better experience for the public" . There goes a fun place to visit, get there before this serene destination is gone!

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

Was in Lone Pine last week (we always go before the busy weekend!)

Talked to a local with knowledge,not gossip that a coupe of things planned

that sounds true are, 1 plan to cut down palms (not native?) 2,fence area to keep wild

burro's out.

As someone who have been going to Saline since 1971,yea i'm that old and remember

the trash heap that was around the springs, old busses, dead cars, people living for months at a time

and no pit toilets like today.

So i was ok with the "new rules"added over time.

Remove Palm trees? have always thought were native to desert we live in Palm Springs area and local

natives (Indian) always talk how they have always used palms in the past.

If i remember i thank there are palms in other area's of park not know for sure as we do not go to the 

developed spots.

Keep the burro's out? now i would think in recent times they are not native, remove them, metal fence's

are not native.

Be ok with removing gold fish from pond, think they are from Walmart! :P

Now for the real reason the storm is brewing, and that is social media and published hot spring

books has let the world in on  word of mouth info that was passed between people of a like mind.

Just my thoughts yours may differ!

Les,lqhiker

Edited by lqhikers, 29 May 2018 - 12:29 AM.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:15 AM

Someone should remind the NPS employees that, by definition, they, also, are not native to the area and should be careful to not do things that might cause them to be considered a destructive, invasive species to the area. :)

Paul
ps. I have not been there and do not particularly like hot springs, thus have no dog in the fight. Heck. I don’t even have a dog. :P
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Paul, better get a dog... life isn’t complete if you don’t have one... :P

I am haunted by waters

#8 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the palm trees at Scotty's Castle were planted and I've read that palms that have naturalized in other areas of the park are from seeds from those same trees. I'm in favor of just letting the palms live through their natural life cycle. I would be really upset if they removed the lawn. Although it seems pointless to submit my comments I feel like I can't complain if I don't. 

We're in the midst of opposing a new dam (Centennial ) 3 miles from my home. The developers have been treating it like it's a done deal but thanks to 1,000s of comment letters and public attendance at planning meetings, real issues are being brought to the public's attention. Not the rosy PR messages that the developers have been force feeding through the media. In the end the project may go forward but hopefully, we'll know what the real costs (economic,environmental,cultural,etc) will be. Call me a dreamer!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

Although it seems pointless to submit my comments I feel like I can't complain if I don't. 

The National Park Service is following the requirements of the National Environmental Protection Act known as NEPA. There are several steps in the process that individually must be put before the public for comment. This step is reviewing and commenting on the DRAFT Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement. After reviewing all the comments from the public and government, the NPS will issue a final plan. You cannot challenge a final EIS if you have not commented on the draft EIS. This gives you what is legally known as "standing". It is not pointless to summit comments, it is a legal necessity if you want to remain in the process. Most of the time it is organizations - advocacy groups, etc., that play a role in the whole process, but, from my experience, the agencies really appreciate comments from individuals familiar with the issues and who are not just parroting form letters.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Video of the meeting can be found here:

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD