57 replies to this topic

#21 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

I've been using a Wave 3 since my 99 Grandby was new in 1999  to over 9000 ft. and near 0 degrees  in the Grandby, with it's only 3000 btu's when below freezing it will take some time to bring temp. up if it was shut off at night.  I've had zero problems with it.  Before the original maker sold it to CAMCO you could get the platinum pad replaced, but no longer, keep it away from dust etc. with the optional cover and it will serve you well.  I mounted mine below ice box and brought a copper gas line through the storage box to it teed off the line that would go to 3 way fridge.  Then seeing I had a rising heat problem with the plastic ice box door, I bolted two stainless steel  L channels with a ceramic cloth in between them to deflect the heat from the door.  You have to have air coming in and going out.  Leaving the turnbuckle door open about a 1/4 and then a corner of one of the top window a jar works fine.  I never leave it on when asleep just climb into good sleeping bag.  For faster warm up in morning I turn stove top burners on for a very few minutes and circulate with fan, and try not to directly breath the fumes. 

If below 7000'  I have supplemented it with a Mr. Heater Buddy it's 9000 btu's heat area up fast but uses up little tanks fast, and won't stay lit above about 7100 ft. Because of its Oxygen sensor shut off, which wave 3 does not have.  The wave 3 will get inside to about 50-55 degrees when it is 10 degrees outside, with aluminum foil bubble insulation over all the windows, and Arctic liner.  Any larger wave mounted here would start to cook the seat cushions across from it.  No noise, sips gas and just keeps truckin if kept clean.  Most of time above freezing, I only need it on half setting once temp. has come up to a comfortable level.  Or you can modulate it with the incoming air at turnbuckle door. BYW mice know how to get to that opening, so I make sure it is shut before hitting the sack... BTW ,  I see since CAMCO started making these, there are more complaints of the quality,  I just ordered a new one for a back up in the case my 14 yr. old one quits, so I will compare...Would be nice if they still would service them, as not only dirt but a load of dirty propane can poison the platinum pad.

imag0174-58000115.jpg?ts=1410917969

Edited by 180pilot, 17 September 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#22 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Has anyone used these while out on a skiing or ice fishing trip, coming back with wet gear, etc. Do they introduce a lot of condensation,  I'm concerned it will not help with drying out my boot liners and other wet gear after a day out in the snow.

#23 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

Has anyone used these while out on a skiing or ice fishing trip, coming back with wet gear, etc. Do they introduce a lot of condensation,  I'm concerned it will not help with drying out my boot liners and other wet gear after a day out in the snow.

I've never had a problem with condensation using mine (Wave 6).  That said, they do produce water, of course.

If it's cold out, like in a winter trip you mention, the incoming air -- the air required for venting purposes -- will be dry (low absolute humidity), so that helps.  If your boot liners were near the front of the heater -- receiving the direct radiant heat -- they would certainly get way above the dew point temperature, so they would dry.

I camp alone, so in my case there's only one moisture-producing creature in the camper -- maybe that's why I've never had much problem with humidity even when running my Wave 6 on medium (~4500 BTU).

Anyway, that's my experience.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#24 madhatt

madhatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

I've never had a problem with condensation using mine (Wave 6).  That said, they do produce water, of course.

If it's cold out, like in a winter trip you mention, the incoming air -- the air required for venting purposes -- will be dry (low absolute humidity), so that helps.  If your boot liners were near the front of the heater -- receiving the direct radiant heat -- they would certainly get way above the dew point temperature, so they would dry.

I camp alone, so in my case there's only one moisture-producing creature in the camper -- maybe that's why I've never had much problem with humidity even when running my Wave 6 on medium (~4500 BTU).

Anyway, that's my experience.

I see the Wave 6 on sale for $270, free shipping in the US. That price is almost too good to pass, it says that's 46% off regular. I may need to make a trip down to a mailbox in Washington to pick one of these things up. The price in Canada is about 2x that, yikes! I'm thinking the Wave 6 will be the best choice for full-on winter camping in a Grandby. It appears I can just tap into my fridge propane line.

#25 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

It appears I can just tap into my fridge propane line.

The propane plumbing in my 2005 FWC Hawk included a capped tee (that would have connected to a water heater if I had one).  I connected a rubber hose (one sold by a propane dealer) to the unused leg of the tee with appropriate fittings and put appropriate fittings (quick-connect and ball-valve) on the other end.  I used a rubber hose because my Wave is free-standing so that I can move/point it where I want to.

#26 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

I found that T last week in mine. I was thinking it was for the stock heater I don't have.  I was thinking I would use it for a wave. Where do I get the right fittings?  

#27 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

I found that T last week in mine. I was thinking it was for the stock heater I don't have.  I was thinking I would use it for a wave. Where do I get the right fittings?  

I'm the not best source for hardware advice -- not Mr. Handy. :P   But mine has flare fittings, so that's what I went with to mate with the existing.  I think I bought the fittings at a propane dealer, same place I bought the rubber hose...but they're available at hardware stores in general.  If you're still interested I can take pictures of mine -- tomorrow -- and post them.

#28 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:16 AM

I would like to see them. Would the wave 6 be physically too large for a Hawk? Where do you have yours mounted and how? Can you use it with the couch made into a bed? I like the heating ability of the Buddy at 9000 BTU but the 7000 foot elevation has me shut down on most mountain trips. Mine shuts off over 6800 or so. And I can't use it with the couch made into a bed unless I put it on the counter. 

#29 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:28 AM

I'm using the Wave 6 in a Hawk.  It's free-standing, I bought the optional legs -- it sits on the floor.  It's kinda big, but with just one guy -- me -- who has to maneuver around it it's OK.  It might be a problem for multi-person occupancy, could very well be a problem if you fold down the couch into a bed.

If I mounted a Wave on the wall (such as under the furnace or under the fridge) I'd mount it on something that can swing out so that it can point -- at least partially -- up the length of the camper, towards the front of the camper, rather than just beam its radiant energy across the short distance at the box under the couch.

Tomorrow morning I'll take pictures of how it sits in the camper when in use and try to take close-ups of the hardware.

#30 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

I'd love to see where you attached the propane connection as well. I've always thought about adding a wave heater but have not yet.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users