• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:48 AM

FWC has switched to a new brand of solar panels. I was just at the factory getting my new truck fitted and noticed how different they looked. Apparently they work when partially covered and have excellent output and are lighter in weight.

Anyone know the brand?

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:05 AM

Overland Solar

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

$370!

https://overlandsola...wer-gen-3-panel

#4 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

Wow, these look much lighter than our 160w panel factory installed on our 2016 Fleet... how does this look installed? love to see a photo and weight comparison...our panel is about 3" think off our roof and I believe is affected by the wind and occasionally causes "roof popping" ... anyway, it appears the profile is probably much thinner on roof...plus more sensitive to "partial or shaded light"...

Again, would love to see more details... thanks Vic for the product reference...

#5 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

I realize the FWC crew are the experts but I have friends that have had issues with flexible. One even lost his entire panel as he did not secure properly I guess... he swears he did. Also think, here in TX anyway, that some have had heat related issues? I know there is probably a weight savings but one 160W panel is not all that heavy considering the gear I take ;) Guess we will wait and see.

Edited by XJINTX, 04 June 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

http://www.wanderthe...e-5#entry195136

Information in the above post. They weight 7 pounds just the panel.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

That is how mine is mounted, camper installed on 05/04.  Took it out to the Coast this weekend, was sunny the first day, second day was morning fog/overcast all afternoon, panel was still charging my batteries and my two way refer kept the haagen dazs frozen!

http://www.wanderthe...e-5#entry195136

Information in the above post. They weight 7 pounds just the panel.

Edited by bwag, 04 June 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#8 pghjon

pghjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

I realize the FWC crew are the experts but I have friends that have had issues with flexible. One even lost his entire panel as he did not secure properly I guess... he swears he did. Also think, here in TX anyway, that some have had heat related issues? I know there is probably a weight savings but one 160W panel is not all that heavy considering the gear I take ;) Guess we will wait and see.

Mainly heat related issues with flexible panels occur when the panel is applied directly to a surface, not allowing it to breathe on the underside.

These panels are not applied directly to the roof.

They are also installed with some supports that make them more rigid than just a panel flapping in the wind.

The main benefit, besides weight, is the significant increase in output when the panel is partially shaded over the older Zamp panels.

Edited by pghjon, 05 June 2018 - 03:44 PM.

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:01 AM

This doesn't make much sense to me.  The panels heat up because they are black and in the sun (although only 80% as much as similar black thing would heat up as 20% of the incoming energy is being converted to electricity ^_^ ).  On the other hand, the roof is a huge sheet of aluminium that is nice and cool, because it is white and doesn't absorb much solar radiation.   My thinking is to heat sink these hot panels to this large very thermally conductive radiator by mounting them right on the roof.   This is the same approach taken for most thermal management problem, you have an object that overheats (say a CPU) you strap it to a large piece of aluminium to conduct the heat away and radiate it to the atmosphere (ie a heat sink).   The panels won't radiate much heat out the back side, as the roof is white and reflects it right back, but you can use the high thermal conductivity of the aluminium to your benefit. 

Now obviously this doesn't work if your solar panels are mounted to a super hot asphalt shingle roof, which is probably where the advice to leave an air space comes from. 

Mainly heat related issues with flexible panels occur when the panel is applied directly to a surface, not allowing it to breathe on the underside.

These panels are not applied directly to the roof.

They are also installed with some supports that make them more rigid than just a panel flapping in the wind.

The main benefit, besides weight, is the significant increase in output when the panel is partially shaded over the older Zamp panels.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:53 AM

+1 rando.

I had to stop thinking about this because it didn't make sense to me either.  White aluminum skin should be net cooler than very dark solar cells sitting on it.

I suspect the real reason for problems may involve work hardening due to gazillions of  repetive small excursions as the roof vibrates from the road and wind. Think paper clip bent back and forth a bunch. Each solar cell in a flexible solar panel is a thin sort of metal plane. I don't know the material characteristics of that sandwich but the encapsulating materials are relatively soft and compliant as compared to those on a rigid panel.

Just a thought.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users