8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hello,

Getting a FWC Raven delivered in a couple of months and I have a 2014 Ram 1500. I want to add airbags for support. Just wondering what other Ram owners have used? My local parts place is having trouble locating a suitable option.

Thanks in advance!

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:48 PM

I would check out Timber Grove. They are a small operation (maybe just 1 guy) but have great reviews on a ram 1500 forum I'm on.   I have Total Load Control but they've since gone out of business.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

Pacbrake and Airlift offer an airbag setup.

http://www.sdtrucksp...AiABEgIVp_D_BwE

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#4 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:04 AM

Hey Mike,

We also have a Ram 1500.  Regular Cab 2WD.   We added the Firestone Air bags with dual air lines for adjusting air pressure between the left and right side of the camper.  We also replaced the stock tires with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 10 ply Load Range E Tires.  The truck feels solid and I am still adjusting the air pressure to get the right balance.  I believe the Firestone model is their Ride Rite for the Ram 1500.  

Jon

FoxenTec

#5 vintageracer

vintageracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHillbilly Hollywood TN

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Look at Timbren as a none "Air Bag" alternative IF that interests you.

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

http://timbren.com/a...road-bumpstops/

Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!

#6 kkmbcamp

kkmbcamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

Mike - I put Air-rite air bags (5000lb) and their wireless one on board compressor. Had since March (2018). I love having the wireless onboard compressor. The air lines leak a little a small amount over a night of sitting. They are the press in type fittings. I have read of others having similar issues. It hasn’t bugged me much because it’s small and the compressor tops off the pressure when starting the truck. 2015 Ram 15000.

#7 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:02 AM

I made a rambling, self-serving, and partially incoherent thread a few weeks ago about my experience with both Firestone Ride Rites as well as Air Lift 5000s for our 2008 Ram 1500.

The first kit, the Ride Rites, had parts that were fabricated by a buffoon and wouldn't fit. So I went with the Air Lift 5000s and also bought their Wireless Air compressor kit. I got the right kit for the truck, per their website. Went to install it and the brackets did not fit on the frame. Spent several days of sporadic email communication with the company asking for them to explain whether they had sold me the wrong kit or if they had fabricated it incorrectly. Allegedly, their engineer got around to looking at my photos, and then they told me that it just didn't fit the truck and that I should switch to their lesser product that mounts on the leaf springs, carries a lower rating, and is only recommended for occasional use. No effort to arrange for the return of the kit, give me a slight refund on the compressor kit, or even to help cover the cost of their lesser kit. Just "the kit we say fits your truck doesn't fit it, so we will just say sorry about all your wasted time and too bad, buy our other product". So because of a now short time constraint due to the 2.5 weeks of wasted time on the first two kits, I had to go back to the Ride Rites, which I knew would fit at least if they sent me a kit that was made properly. Which they did, and they installed just fine. 

So I would recommend staying away from Air Lift products. The compressor kit has worked fine for the 1.5 weeks it has been installed, but I wasn't big on their handling of their air bags not fitting what they market it to fit and the waste of time it caused me. I would put money on it that they never advise consumers that their kit does not fit the 2008 Ram 1500.

The Ride Rites work just fine as long as they don't let the buffoon do the metal bending on the brackets. We have not load tested the bags yet.

#8 gullrock

gullrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:34 AM

Hey Mike ,

Im packing 2007 Hawk on a 2016 half ton Ram with factory installed four corner air bag suspension .So far so good .   There are four different height levels and will drop low enough to allow backing camper into garage with an 8 ft header. 

Maybe dodge has an after market system you can install.

Just an idea but very happy with mine.

-Gullrock

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:31 AM

Hey Mike ,

Im packing 2007 Hawk on a 2016 half ton Ram with factory installed four corner air bag suspension .So far so good .   There are four different height levels and will drop low enough to allow backing camper into garage with an 8 ft header. 

Maybe dodge has an after market system you can install.

Just an idea but very happy with mine.

-Gullrock

Have you weighed the loaded truck with camper? What is your rated payload on the placard? I'm curious because I tested a Ram 1500 crew cab Ecodiesel with 4-corner air suspension and the system worked up to around 1500 lbs payload at which point the off-road modes would not work. At a somewhat higher payload the system went into protection mode and wouldn't work at all. Difficult to keep loaded payload below 1500 pounds with most truck campers. 

Edited by Bigfoot, 19 September 2018 - 05:32 AM.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Raven, Ram 1500, Airbags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users