#21 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

My guess is 100W is enough for those loads. But I wonder about the flexible panels. Do you lay them on the ground? If you drape them over a chair, for example, will the panel bend over the chair, thus not all the cells will be at the same angle? I think that will affect the power output quite a bit. I like the light weight though.

I will be attaching it to my camper roof using a bonding agent as per U tube instructions. The do bend up to 280 degrees which makes it pretty flexible.

#22 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

You might check some of the other threads about the flex panels. They were mentioning that bonding to the roof means they get really hot and don't perform well. But I don't recall the details.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#23 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

You might check some of the other threads about the flex panels. They were mentioning that bonding to the roof means they get really hot and don't perform well. But I don't recall the details.

Thanks for the reminder.....meant to check up on that.

#24 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

+2 Spend time resesearching solar roof mounting. A direct bond is theorized to cause heat damage/failure. Air flow underneath seems necessary. Also direct bonding greatly complicates removal & replacement if needed. Check out past threads.

Edited by Stokeme, 21 January 2019 - 08:12 PM.

#25 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

+2 Spend time resesearching solar roof mounting. A direct bond is theorized to cause heat damage/failure. Air flow underneath seems necessary. Also direct bonding greatly complicates removal & replacement if needed. Check out past threads.

Yes...Thanks...I agree. Try and find a system to elevate the panel a tad. Renogy has one ...4 pieces... though its for their hard ones. Will have to check and see if the flex would work with it.

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B01LWASUU1

#26 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:18 AM

Finally picked the 100 watt with full hookups from Renogy for $ 281.00. They wanted $ 489.00 for the 160 Watt. figured I can add on later if I need to.

#27 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:15 AM

U could try coroplast it’s open enough to do the job?

#28 travelingdan

travelingdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:36 AM

This guy knows his stuff. His name is Scott.

https://bosswatt.com/

#29 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

Ok, everything installed and charging well. One more question. I have my camper battery directly hooked up to my truck battery with a mechanical solenoid between the two. While on the road can I leave the Solar panel and the truck alternator charging the camper battery assuming the Renogy Adventurer controller will do its job or should I separate the two. I assume all is ok, but want to make sure.

Thanks guys     

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

Ok, everything installed and charging well. One more question. I have my camper battery directly hooked up to my truck battery with a mechanical solenoid between the two. While on the road can I leave the Solar panel and the truck alternator charging the camper battery assuming the Renogy Adventurer controller will do its job or should I separate the two. I assume all is ok, but want to make sure.

Thanks guys     

The solar controller has no impact on what the alternator is doing to your camper batteries.  With a separator in the circuit, nothing terrible should occur.  That said, you can't tell without monitoring how (in)effectively the batteries are being charged.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users