• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

Yes I know an "Electric Bike " is not technically a Truck accessory,,,Except for many of us oldsters we don't like to have to break camp to go to the local store to pick up a few things and don't need or want to tow a vehicle.

Here is an alternative that is relatively affordable - "RAD Power Bikes" E-Bike" They offer a 14 day free trial and 1 year warranty. I have had mine 3 years in June 2021 over 2,450 miles with no problems. 

UPDATE April 2021

In Mid 2020 RAD added  the  "Rad Mission"a single-speed electric, pedal assist metro bike for city riders for $1,099.

RAD makes many models between about $1,000 - $1,599 depending on the model. I chose the "RADCity Step-thru"  as 99% of my riding was concrete and asphault. They make a model with 4 inch wide tires for street and offroad/sand the "RAD Rover" Tires on RAD City are 2.3 inches wide.

Few more pictures, Click on my Arvatar than "My Gallery". Scroll down to Electric Bike 2018 album.

I researched for about 6 months. Prices run $ 899 - $10,000 or more depending on what you are looking for: City cruiser or mountain. "Pedego" is the company you hear about the most. We rented from a local dealer in Carlsbad. "Pedego's" sell for about $ 3,400-$4000 through distributors. We decided on the "RAD" because it sells direct at $1,499 with a $200 discount if you buy two at the same time (which we did). Plus FREE SHIPPING......

And in our case NO sales Tax (June 2018). I subscribe to their Blog and as of April 2019 "Govmnt" has forced them to charges sales tax. Too bad .

Local service is provided by "Velofix" - a mobile bike shop that comes to your residence to set up your bike'.

You will also need to upgrade your bike rack to a platform model that supports at least 200 pounds.
We chose the Swagman Escapee $380 - $400 . E-Trailer has lower prices than the bike shops.
gallery_2684_1222_19458.jpg

Another option is a small "Mini-motorcycle carrier". September 27th replaced the Swagman with a custom Single Hauler- click on "Joe Hauler"  $350.00  for the E-Bike carrier.  See photo. More photos on page three. 
gallery_2684_1222_311014.jpg

Bike with battery weighs 63 pounds. Times 2 for two bikes. Power: 750 watt motor. 48 volt battery. 5-position pedal assist. Separate Throttle. computer. 25-50 mile range . Tons of fun and one still gets exercise. Electricity "flattens" out the hills.

When you review the website. Scroll down to the "review" video for the model you are interested in.

​Unfortunately there are lots of choices to consider. We decided if we weren't able to rent it we wouldn't consider buying that one.

Research

electric bike review

electricbikeaction.com. (EBA). I picked up the print version at "Barnes and Noble"
Under the "H-Torque Publications" nameplate they offer three bicycle magazines. Including EBA, "Mountain Bike Action" and "Road Bike Action". website add .com" to review the digital version.

Electric bikes come in 2, 3, and 4 wheel versions.

I'm age 76 and have been losing stamina. The electric bike will keep me in the activity much longer.

Update 11/20

Added the Lectric Bike . New for 2020 $899 for the folding model.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 09 April 2021 - 08:52 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:20 AM

I have been looking at those since Squatch 1st posted about them. I think it is a grand idea and is in my future :) None of us are getting any younger and I carry lotsa camera gear....

Looking forward to your opinion on yours :)

Edited by Happyjax, 29 June 2018 - 12:21 AM.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

Hi Happy,

So far I've ridden it "RAD City Step-thru" 42 miles since the 20th. I ride the San Luis Rey river bike trail in Oceanside. Asphalt 9 miles west to Oceanside Harbor at least 100 feet away from the cars.

Then around the Marina and sometimes the Strand, our local "Boardwalk" except there is no actual bike, scooter and walkers special area. We share with the cars. Speed limit 15 miles an hour. Most of the drivers are too busy looking at the "eye-candy" to be texting while driving so its actually safe to "share" the road with them.

Jim

#4 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

Congrats on the Rad Power Bike Jim. I bought one about four months ago and have over 600 miles on it already. These are a total blast to ride and I just love mine.

Mike

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

Wow Mike 600 miles, fantastic. Have you increased the governor top speed? I did that yesterday on mine. Max speed now 24.8 mph. (40km/h) Now I can catch and pass many though not all of the regular road bikes on flat asphault on San Luis Rey River bike trail (18 miles round trip).

Jim

#6 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:57 PM

Hello Jim, I just now saw your post asking about adjusting the governor.  No I haven't done that yet but I plan to. I've been preoccupied with other projects so speeding up the bike is low on the list. I ride it most everyday doing all the old guy stuff that I used to drive my truck for. I'm now at 830 miles and will ride to the movie theater tomorrow. Way to much fun to zoom past non power bikes, eat my electrons loser!

#7 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:47 AM

I've been fighting the E-bikes, but need to give up in a few years. 5,000 miles so far this year but I'm sure my bike riding days are slowly reducing...

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:05 PM

Jim,

I was at Bonneville last weekend for the World of Speed and found some competition for your bike. This bike is part of the George A Wyman Memorial Project. It is pedal powered with electric assist and a chain saw engine that starts a couple hundred feet down the track. It set a blistering pace of 42 mph in the 130 mph short course bracket.

The George A Wyman Memorial Project celebrates the first man to cross the country in a motorized vehicle. In 1903 he went from San Francisco to New York in 50 days on a bicycle equipped with a 200 cc engine. The George A. Wyman Memorial Project: The Project

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0117.jpg
  • IMG_0119.jpg

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

Hi Dick,

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the link.

42 mph is still faster than I want to be going if I fell off of it...which I have already done on mine.. Luckily at the time I was going 0 mph. How did I do that? I was on a slope on uneven ground and the motor didn't have enough torque to haul our combined weight - 308 pounds, up the grade. I put my left foot down to balance and the ground was about 6 inches below level. Inertia gets one every time. No damage as my fall was in slow motion and I had my bike helmet on.

I just turned 300 miles. Still transporting it to the Marina and riding it in the safe areas. Though now I have ventured out onto the roadway after finding a 25 mph 2 lane road that parallels the beach - Pacific Street. It eventually merges with the coast highway which I can take south all the way into Encinitas...Then the traffic gets heavy and I turn around and go back,  so far averaging 25 miles per trip.

Simi Mike,

Procedure to change the governor speed

The vague steps to change the govenor speed are in the "King-Meter" User guide, page 35. My issue was the procedure is unclear on the steps to get into the the "speed limit" area. Answer. 1). Turn the bike display on. 2) press the "up" and "down" arrows down at the same time. This takes you to the "wheel size setting" which on my model reads "26" (default tire size). 3) Press "mode" button once - which takes you to the "speed limit " display. The number "32" km/h (the default) displays on the model "City Step-thru". 32 is 20.8 mph. 4) press the up arrow till it says 40 km/h (24.8 mph). The fastest you can go without hacking into the program.5) Hold "mode" button down for 10 seconds to save the data and exit.

Maximum speed

I can't get the bike over 23 mph. Top speed is affected by wind resistance, tire preasure (mines 60psi)  and rider weight. If I could lose 35 pounds (ha,ha) and put on a fairing I might get up to 24.8. Though I can tell you 23 mph wearing bike shorts and a short sleeve shirt is pleanty fast if I ever fall off it. At my age I suppose I would break bones.

One last thing. If you have the RAD model "Rover" change the wheel size to 28" as the speedometer is off 2 mph. That info came from a RAD owner that has a "Rover" and "Step-thru" his wife rides (bike fits riders 4'-8" to 6'-3" height). He checked the speed against the portable "Garmin" GPS.

Lastly if you attend the SoCal rally in "Ocotillo Wells" later this month I will have it out there to see and ride ..."if you promise not to fall off it"   :blink:  :blink:

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 02 October 2018 - 08:27 PM.

Jim

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

Interesting topic.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

How far can you go on a single charge?

How long does it take to recharge the battery and can you do it with your truck or camper or do you have to plug into 110V?

Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users