74 replies to this topic

#11 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:40 AM

Hi Eddie,

The "RADPower Bike" will go 50 miles in "pedal Assist" mode and 25 miles "throttle" only per charge. ..probably for a rider around 190 pounds. There is a "Table" on page 19 of the owners manual that you can download from their website - www.radpowerbikes.com

to review.

Expected range at my weight 230 pounds 20 miles "throttle" only to 40 miles pedal assist.

The battery capacity Display is a rectangular box with "F" at left end and "E" at the right. Inside the box are 5 squares. So far after 440 miles on flat ground with a 8-10 mph headwind I'm averaging 16 miles per square. Most used so far are a "square and one quarter". Time to recharge about 45 minutes. Battery is charged after every use.

Ocotillo Wells Report

Once I lowed the air preasure down to 30 pounds I had no problem negotiating in the sand. This is not an Offroad bike though as the tires are too narrow - 2.3 inches. The RAD "Rover" has much wider tires and a 3 speed motor . The Rover is much better suited to offroad riding.

It was fun to ride around the camp at the rally and will definitely take it out there again.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#12 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:53 AM

Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#13 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

Interesting Radpower gave a chart for rider weight.

If I may, I'll add from my own experience with a different model on 4" fat tires that - in addition to rider weight - the battery range is also largely dependent on the terrain and to a much lesser extent, tire rolling resistance. Liberal use of the throttle on hills will suck juice. We usually run ~8-12 psi which is great for sand and also shock absorption off pavement. Airing up a bit makes pedaling noticeably easier and faster when on pavement (our tires are max 30 psi)

Jim, 45 mins charge time sounds very workable, though I realise duration is related to amount of draw down. How are you recharging when on the road ? We've used the camper inverter for day rides but I'm not sure how we'd do repeat, long recharges for 2 batteries if we stay camped in one spot.

#14 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:28 PM

Recharging off-road 

So far I haven't had to do that because It isn't ridden far enough to get into the 4th "square". Battery  "ReGen's" (regenerates) going downhill when the brakes are applied. 

I suppose if your off the grid for weeks at a time you would have to carry a generator to charge it.

Solar charging

RAD Power Bikes tech support (800)939-0310 xtension 2.

The technician says it draws 2 amps charging.through an inverter.

Recommended Inverter specs

350 watt Inverter

100-240 volts

50-60 cycles

Pure sine wave A/C

I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know what would happen if you don't use an inverter of the recommended size.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 05 December 2018 - 10:53 PM.

Jim

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

Recharging off-road 

So far I haven't had to do that because It isn't ridden far enough to get into the 4th "square". Battery  "ReGen's" (regenerates) going downhill when the brakes are applied. 

I suppose if your off the grid for weeks at a time you would have to carry a generator to charge it.

Solar charging

RAD Power Bikes tech support (800)939-0310 xtension 2.

The technician says it draws 2 amps charging.through an inverter.

Recommended Inverter specs

350 watt Inverter

100-240 volts

50-60 cycles

Pure sine wave A/C

I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know what would happen if you don't use an inverter of the recommended size.

That's a pretty small inverter.  I have one that big in my camper for charging batteries in various things that don't have DC adapters.  Bigger would be fine too.  The only important bit is the "Pure Sine Wave" bit.  Those cost more, and have a cleaner output than the cheaper types, for more sensitive electronics.

#16 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:06 AM

Thanks Vic,

I don't even know where to find one. Is that someting you would find at "camping world", Best By or Fry's electronics?

Could you suggest an inverter manufacture and model number that we could order through Amazon with a pure sine wave?

Jim

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:20 AM

I'm not sure how big an inverter you might want Jim.  If  you want to plug in power tools, hair dryers, microwaves... you need more juice.  If just this electric bike, then the 350W they suggested is fine.

Have a look at this review page. They link each one to Amazon

https://invertero.co...wave-inverters/

#18 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:57 AM

I checked your suggestiopn and came up with this one:

Samlex SSW-350-12A 350 Watts 12 Volts DC Pure Sine Wave Inverter for $97.72 tjhrough Amazon

Installing it.

I like the portable process where I plug it into a 10 amp wire or I suppose I could use 10 gauge wire and  "alligator" clips directly to the truck battery with an inline fuse. Is that possible?  or "crazy" .thinking?  :(  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:

Jim

#19 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:26 AM

Recharging off-road 

Thx for the reply. When I asked I wasn't sure if you were doing multiple trips between charges.

#20 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:19 AM

We have been looking for a way to charge our two ebikes while on a 3 month trip to Baja. We looked into portable, rechargable by solar, battery power packs. One was the Humless Go Mini 64:
https://www.humless....-series-64-kwh/
It turned out to only be enough to charge 1 bike from dead and cost about $850. It has a capacity of 640 Watts, and will need all of that to charge a 500 watt bike battery due to lost power by using an inverter. Solar panels are extra, but at least 200 watts will be needed. Humless has a new power supply comming up that is about half the size and weight and holds 1200 watts, but costs about $1500.00.

I used our Honda 2200i generator to charge both our bikes after a 2 hour bike ride and it took just over an hour an only used a pint or so of gas. The solar would be nice, but not sure about the cost-benefit ratio. Of course, with the generator you need to carry extra gas.

Edited by camper rich, 21 December 2018 - 05:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users