• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:54 PM

Wow $1,500...I thinlk I would look for a Honda generator. These days at almost age 75, my off-road adventures are on the dirt, wash-board "roads" in and out of the Saline Hot Springs for 7 nights twice per year.

This winter I might be going only to Aqua Caliente  to soak. there I can get an electric only site to charge the battery pack. Located in Anza-Borrego it is a San Diego County park. Water flows out of the rocks at 94*. A propane heater takes it up to 102*. Perfect soaking temperature.   and lots of safe places to ride the bike.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#22 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

When you purchase a RAD Power bike (radpowerbikes.com) your automatically put on a blog list.

This article covers the E-Bike Laws in locations around the world.

In the U.S. market, all of Rad Power Bikes’ models are built as a class 2 federally regulated ebike. This allows our bikes to have a 750W motor with a top speed allowance of 20 mph. Furthermore, it allows for not only pedal assist but also a throttle function. Class 2 ebikes do not need to be registered, insured, or licensed unless specified by a state or local government.

My "City Step-Thru" is a a Class 2 with pedal assist and throttle. I've noted the max speed for a class 2 bike is 20 mph which is also on a sticker on the bike. My top speed on level ground (asphalt) is 23.1 mph. Good to know. Interesting that a regular road bike is easily capable of exceeding 30 mph. which I observe all the time.

Oh and RAD just recently lowered the price $ 200 down to $1,599 for the white "Step-Thru" . Regular black frame is $1,499.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 February 2019 - 03:31 PM.

Jim

#23 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

Wow $1,500...I thinlk I would look for a Honda generator. These days at almost age 75, my off-road adventures are on the dirt, wash-board "roads" in and out of the Saline Hot Springs for 7 nights twice per year.

We'll have to keep our eye out for you in SV, Jim! I think an e bike would be great, but still thinking about recharging scenarios.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#24 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

Hi Andy,

I haven't decided if I will take it there because of the dust !! I do have a front receiver, so would swap the bike carrier ,,,though its not designed to take all the shaking of washboard roads and I don't have a front "bull" bar to lash it down properly.

I will probably just stick to campsites with regular roads in and out (Josha Tree, Anza-Borrego, etc.)

Happy soaking.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 February 2019 - 07:40 PM.

Jim

#25 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:45 PM

UpDate

Bike sells for $1,499 with a $200 discount if you buy 2. Plus FREE SHIPPING......

And in our case NO sales Tax (June 2018). I subscribe to their Blog and as of April 2019 "Govmnt" has forced them to  charges sales tax. Too bad . 

Jim

#26 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

Ediie (Smibox) in October 2018 asked how far you can go on a charge. 

Field Report 

The RAD Power Bikes  "City Step-Thru" is designed for Flat surfaces and low grades. It comes with a single geared motor and a 7 speed derailer. It's not designed for the terrain that I rode over Monday.

Last Monday I rode 36 miles of very hilly terrain. The second hill had the derailer in first gear. Pedal assist "4" and speed 1 mile per hour. Maybe a6- 7% grade. Two hills like that.  I almost had to get off and push it. At the 26 miles the the battery gauge was just dipping into the last bar when adding any assist beyond one for slight hills. 

When I returned to the truck gauge was moving back and forth from "4th" block to "5th".

Battery manual advises turning off the electricity when full time in the last "square". Riding a 63 pound bike without battery assist on anything but flat ground is very difficult for an oldster like me, so I made sure I had enough cushion to get back to the truck.

Took 8 hours to charge the battery

I'm still loving it as long as I ride it where it was designed to go. RAD makes other models with 3 speed motors and derailers for very hilly conditions.

Jim

#27 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Jim!
Good first hand information.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#28 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

Looking at getting a couple of Sur rons.

Attached Thumbnails

• 63cce2eb0f40e013a0718ba04d95ba82.jpg

Edited by Bombsight, 18 July 2019 - 06:33 PM.

#29 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

Medical Update

In mid-June I slipped, fell 4.5 feet landing on the top of my right arm just below the collar-bone. Luckily no broken bones. I did manage to relocate the tendon on the opposite side of the bone = excruciating pain.  Eventually started physical therapy. 3 months later my Doc "moved" the tendon back into its normal position = lots of pain for a short moment. Now in the 4th month everything is healing. I am embarrassed to describe how I fell...other then to say I was sober at the time !!

That injury had me looking at another method to transport the bike because Doc does not want me to lift it (63 pounds)  onto the carrier.

More photos in "my Gallery". Double left click on my Avatar to access the Gallery.

The followings pictures illustrate my solution.

The Joe Hauler     Mid-size cam-lock  model - 65" wide fits the 72" wide bike complete with an aluminum ramp. Weighs 34.5 pounds after removing the aluminum ramp.

gallery_2684_1222_311014.jpg

# 2 shows ramp mounted on the carrier.

gallery_2684_1222_269296.jpg

# 3 Ramp. Weighs 4.6 pounds. I remove while mounting the carrier to get the weight of the carrier under my lifting limit of 35 pounds.Then bolt it down after loading the bike.

gallery_2684_1222_526251.jpg

# 4 carrier mounted on the top receiver of the adapter. Now I don't drag through gutters.  For now I plan to keep the old double bike carrier as two people can lift the bike weight. I also put reflector tape on vertical bars to make it easier to see day and night.

gallery_2684_1222_446421.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 October 2019 - 03:07 PM.

Jim

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:06 AM

Jim, sorry about the arm. I’m allergic to things that hurt! Nice work on the ramp.

I am haunted by waters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users