Photo

Alaskan converted into a travel trailer!

utility trailer cargo trailer 8ft NCO modified converted travel trailer mounted

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 myfootstepsfirm

myfootstepsfirm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

I started a similar thread about a year ago but have a bunch of new photos to share…so decided to do a fresh thread.

I love the bulletproof quality and the vintage aesthetic of Alaskan truck campers but I’m a travel trailer guy…so I decided to buy a 1960’s Alaskan and convert it into a travel trailer. 

I bought a 6’x8’ utility trailer at Tractor Supply and mount my 8ft NCO onto it. I boxed the bottom in with 3/4” square stock and skinned it in white aluminum. To finish the job, I mounted small cargo doors and vents that I scavenged at a local RV salvage yard.

I’ve had it out camping all last summer and it’s been awesome. It’s a bit of a curiosity so I get lots of questions and comments when I roll into a campground. 

Enjoy the pics and please feel free to ask questions!

Attached Thumbnails

• Alaskan utility trailer.JPG
  • Alaskan_rear copy.jpg
  • Alaskan_Vespa.JPG
  • Alaskan_Truck.jpg

Edited by myfootstepsfirm, 01 July 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#2 myfootstepsfirm

myfootstepsfirm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:33 PM

More pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• Alaskan Interior_Final.jpg
  • Alaskan_Interior_2.jpg
  • Alaskan_Stove.jpg

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Nicely done.

A trailer based camper has advantages for sure particularly for staying a few days in one location.

David Graves

#4 myfootstepsfirm

myfootstepsfirm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

David,

I'm mostly on the vintage scooters at camp...but the truck does come in handy for a larger grocery run or other errands. Having the truck freed up is an added convenience!

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

I very much like the concept.  But I do question the use of a light utility trailer.  The Tractor Supply site says the capacity of that 6x8 trailer is 1675 lbs. That's right around the advertised wet weight for the new 8 ft NCO Alaskans.  Empty weight of the trailer is listed as 725 lbs.  Axle is listed for 2400 lbs., and each tire is listed as good for 1100 lbs. Put your food, clothing, bedding, etc. in the trailer and you are definitely overweight.  I do wonder how the tires and axle are gonna hold up to that.  Wouldn't surprise me if you started having blow outs as you go down the road.

Sorry for being such a downer.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

David,

I'm mostly on the vintage scooters at camp...but the truck does come in handy for a larger grocery run or other errands. Having the truck freed up is an added convenience!

I am a certified Vespa mechanic from days of yore......worked for a large dealer in Washington DC.....meanwhile had lots of all other brands of touring M/Cs.....Vespas were an excellent design for their time.

David Graves

#7 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

I have an 8 ft. NCO sometimes on an M101-A1. Honestly, I like OP’s setup better. Looks made for it. I do agree with the other poster. I’d put a heavier axle on if I go this route. Either that or downsize the axle and tires on the M101. Lol, that thing is a monster!

Well done!

#8 myfootstepsfirm

myfootstepsfirm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

John,

I'm foggy on this bc it was over a year ago...so bear with me. 

I was also concerned about the weight of the Alaskan...and did not want to overload the utility trailer. I searched high and low on the Internet to nail down the exact weight of the Alaskan. The data was all over the board...I was seeing 800 lbs on the low side to 1,500 on the high side for a dry weight. 

I can't remember if it was on wanderthewest or expedition portal...but I found a post from a couple that had a late '60's 8ft NCO just like mine. They were worried about overloading their truck and they too could not pin down the exact weight. They went to a weigh station with the empty truck and had it weighed...then drove home, picked up the Alaskan and returned to the weigh station. Long story short, (as I vaguely remember) the Alaskan was 900-ish pounds.

In addition, I removed the cheap Chinese tires and replaced them with the most expensive Maxxis trailer tires I could buy. 

I’ve had the trailer out on two dozen or so excursions with no problems…including a 6 hour round trip weekend to Arivaca AZ. The road to the Arivaca campground was *literally* 10 miles of unpaved moon craters…worst road I’ve ever been on in my entire life and the travel trailer didi just fine.

So, I hear the concern as I had the same thought myself…but so far, so good. 

Edited by myfootstepsfirm, 04 July 2018 - 01:47 PM.

#9 myfootstepsfirm

myfootstepsfirm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

Huskyrunnr,

I think I've seen pics of your rig...mine looks more "polished" but your definitely looks more badass!  :D

#10 myfootstepsfirm

myfootstepsfirm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

David,

The only thing I obsess about more than vintage travel trailers is vintages Vespas. My 1962 VBB is the PERFECT camping bike! 

All the planets line up when I am camping in the Alaskan and riding the VBB...lol...

Attached Thumbnails

• B&W Vespa.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility trailer, cargo trailer, 8ft NCO, modified, converted, travel trailer, mounted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users