Photo
- - - - -

did I fry my water pump? Whats on your drive away checklist?

fwc water pump checklist

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

I have a new Swift camper and after this weekend's trip I left the water pump turned on which of course kicks on on demand.  I opened the freshwater drain and drove off for about 2 hours but cannot say how long it was running dry. The pump was still making a noise and hot to touch(but not severely). I turned it off. Should I do or check something before filling it up and trying to run it again? Are they designed to run dry for idiots like me?

I have been meaning to make a laminated drive away checklist and this pushed me over the edge. What do you have on yours before I make it?

1. 6 jacks closed

2. No canvas sticking out

3. Gray water drain capped

4. WATER PUMP OFF

5. Grab leveling blocks, hose, power cord if used

6. Close roof vent

7. Curtains open

8. Back door locked

9. Fridge latched

#2 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

What is the reason for 7. Curtains open?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

I would put about 10 gallons in the tank and turn on the pump and run water from your faucet. As a safe guard I wouldn't drain your tank until you get home.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:25 PM

What is the reason for 7. Curtains open?

Just the front and back curtains so I can see cars behind through the rearview. 

#5 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I have come close to leaving my step behind. This is the step I have to step into the camper.  I also use to have a rubber mat to wipe my feet on before entering the camper.  It was left at a campground in Arizona.  My camper has a latch on the real lift panel that needs latching once the camper top is closed.  I have forgot a number of times to latch it. Most mistakes are usually when leaving home because I don't tend to use my checklist when leaving. Also have sink drain (outside of camper) replaced.  I have even come close to forgetting my grey water bucket (last thing to go into the camper).

I also added "Campground Walkaround" and "Truck Walkaround" just so I take a little extra time to look around.

And I have curtains opened as wall.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:05 PM

Just put a few gallons in and give it a try. It might take a bit of time to prime. Maybe use city water to pressurize the lines and fill the HW tank. Hopefully, you’ll be ok.

I am haunted by waters

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:09 PM

No list yet but I'd put make sure propane is turned off to the list. I do two walkarounds. One before I leave and the one after I pull up a  bit.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

My check list is to slow down, check, double check and check again. I touch all of the problem areas.

I emulate helicopter pilots - they walk around and touch everything. 

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Hello frstnflt
The only way to be sure is add water and test. I think that these pumps are similar if not the same as ones we use at work. The pump part is serviceable. So if the motor works probably ok.
I like your list, and have been threatening to do same.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

Timely discussion.   We just got home last night and found we had only partially latched the top, which caused some of the canvas to billow out.  We were lucky, and nothing appears to be damaged.  The watermelon in the fridge had knocked the door open and all our food was on the floor too.  Then we realized we left our camp rug rolled up, sitting at our 7500' campsite, which requires enough serious wheeling, that I won't drive it at night.   Oh well, we have to go back for another trip of hiking and swimming!

Seriously, we had the same discussion last night about double checking before we drive off.  I think we must have been a little punchy after hiking in the sun yesterday.   Here's the list we made last night:

DEPARTURE CHECKLIST
Walk around truck, check all six latches, drain
Walk around camp.  Final All Clear
Double check refrigerator
Double check interior cabinets, and table
Turn off water pump
Turn off propane
Confirm fan lid is down
Stop for load check after 30 mins.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fwc, water pump, checklist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users