River_Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Idaho

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

USAA here also.

We provided the VIN to our Hawk and assured it was listed on the declarations page of the policy under the Tundra line item to show it was attached (carried by the truck). I also had to declare the camper value of 20k and this coverage was no extra cost to our annual policy. When it's off the truck it's covered under homeowner's.

#32 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

This is what they told me as well. On further investigation coverage max is set by the state you are in.
FYI max coverage in CA would be 7k.
I have found a great pop up coverage with Miller Insurance.

#33 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:01 PM

Hey TC friends, my current insurance provider USAA doesn't seem to have a clue what a truck camper is, how to insure it, and generally is terrible with my current hail damage claim here in Colorado.

USAA continues to ask for the vin, RV information, and refer to it as a roof top camper despite my corrections. USAA also doesn't seem to have a way to reference the camper in a claim, they keep asking if the damage was to my truck or my wife's car.

Any insurance companies you guy suggest that seem to understand what a TC is and how to cover it?

Having been with USAA for 38 years, and been down this path with my FWC Hawk, you need to call Policy Service and ask for an Underwriter.  Simply provide the VIN or S/N from the camper's placard and USAA will get you set up.

A slide in camper does not get a stand-alone policy with USAA.  It is covered to the limits of your auto policy.  If you desire a higher limit, you can get a rider.

A flatbed, bolt-on camper is covered differently with USAA.

An underwriter will get you straightened out. 

Edited by Advmoto18, 15 October 2018 - 11:04 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#34 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:32 PM

Having been with USAA for 38 years, and been down this path with my FWC Hawk, you need to call Policy Service and ask for an Underwriter. Simply provide the VIN or S/N from the camper's placard and USAA will get you set up.

A slide in camper does not get a stand-alone policy with USAA. It is covered to the limits of your auto policy. If you desire a higher limit, you can get a rider.

A flatbed, bolt-on camper is covered differently with USAA.

An underwriter will get you straightened out.

When I asked for a rider to cover more than 7k they wouldn't do it??

#35 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

When I asked for a rider to cover more than 7k they wouldn't do it??

Strange...

I had no issue.  You spoke to an underwriter?  A policy service rep can't help you with this, has to be an underwriter.

When I took delivery of my Hawk in 4/15, I called USAA and was told by the underwriter, the truck and camper would be covered to the limits of my auto policy.  They do not need the invoice for the truck since the VIN is recorded at time manufacture, but, the original invoice and receipt for the camper would be required if I had a claim, especially a claim involving total loss.  Since a total loss on the road and lack of documents in hand can be problematic, I recorded the camper invoice at the county courthouse.  If I'm on the road and have a total loss, it is simply a matter of performing a quick search of county records for a certified copy of the invoice.  The possible downside for some folks, this information is a public record.   

I have several USAA Insurance riders.  My understanding is the rider has to specify what you are covering.  It will not cover the camper itself, that can only be covered by the auto policy (with USAA).  The rider is for personal items/contents in the camper.  Anything installed in/on the camper (ie., solar equipment, frig, etc) is considered part of the camper.

If you didn't talk to an underwriter, give USAA a call again and connect with one.

Hope it works out for you.  I've never had an issue with USAA providing me with a policy/rider I desired.

#36 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for your input.
Yes when I spoke with USAA I was told the same. On further investigation this coverage is regulated by state. I'm in CA. What I found out was coverage would be treated as cargo under comprehensive. In CA the max is $7k. The FWC is worth much more than that so I called USAA to ask for a rider for better coverage. They declined to do this and pointed me to Progressive for RV/Camper insurance. Progressive insurance was not very effective or helpful with the pop-up and not permanently installed part of the setup.
Talking to some in my RV Club I found Miller Insurance. They knew exactly what I was talking about under $100/yr it also allows for personal effects and vacation insurance coverage...
Maybe it all depends who you get on the phone...lol

#37 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

Good news.

Yes,  state insurance commission's set the regulations for each state in-so-far-as underwriting is concerned.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Edited by Advmoto18, 16 October 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#38 River_Rat

River_Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Idaho

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

USAA actually owns progressive, they initially tried to steer me there but said since its "attached" to the truck its under the truck coverage

My son totaled his xterra last week and while on the phone I asked this question. They actually don't own progressive, but just recommended (use) them for things they don't insure like motorcycles & RV's. Kind of like an industry partner.

#39 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

My Cal insurance broker wants to see registration or title which California does not use for campers, then they wanted a pix of the boiler plate with the info on it, and FWC did not provide or it washed off. Gave them the Ser. number, but that was not good enough, very hard to belive its this hard to insure a camper, but thats California for you.

#40 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

We have a 2007 FWC Keystone. We live in California. My truck insurance is with State Farm. Making a phone call I was able to add it onto my policy at the value I paid for it. No problem.

I get a bill for my truck and it includes an endorsement for the camper.

Coverage is only good when it is on the truck otherwise it is covered by homeowners insurance.

California it seems to me is not the problem. ;-)

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 17 July 2019 - 10:25 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users