• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

One of our 'issues' with our camper (and campers in general) is that they are so comfortable that they tend to lure you inside, defeating the point of wandering in all these beautiful places.  In our last camper when we would have to unpack the stove, set up the table, find a level spot etc, it was very easy to just end up cooking inside.  In order to fight this urge to retreat to our indoor kitchen, one of the requirements of our current camper was the ability to cook outside.   When we first got our flatbed fleet in 2016, I did build a pull out kitchen drawer into the flatbed itself using 80/20 and 80/20 linear motion bearings.   This worked OK, but suffered from the dirt, dust and grit under the flatbed. 

So here is MarK II of the outdoor kitchen.  This time it is completely sealed when closed, and pulls out to a 26" x 16" bench with a partner stove and drawer for hoses/utensils etc.   Everything is made out of HDPE so you can hose it down to clean it, and the surfaces can be used as cutting boards.  

Open to cook:

IMG_1002.jpg

The drawer:

IMG_1005.jpg

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

Packed up:

IMG_1007.jpg

Closed:

IMG_1008.jpg

It mounts just like the rest of my under tray tool boxes.   It is also right next to the propane hatch, so it can be run off one of the 10lb tanks.   I use the 1lb bottles on the odd occasion that we have a picnic table so you can just carry the stove over to the table.  

Edited by rando, 25 August 2018 - 09:46 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

Very nice concept!  Thanks for sharing your invention. 

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#4 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:43 AM

That is great!!! We have our camper on a flat bed and I built a pull out kitchen drawer mounted just in front of the camper. Before we decided on this setup I was trying to design a pull out slide out kitchen coming out of the back of the camper, where the propane tank storage is on the side dinette models. I think there would be a market for an outdoor kitchen.

#5 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:08 AM

Love it! Looks professionally done. Totally agree outdoor cooking is the way to go. We camp to go outside in the first place. My old classic green coleman does the trick for now but would love to have something like this. Nice job!

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:24 AM

Nice setup Rando
Nothing like finding out how it should be,and making it so. Thanks for sharing what not to do!

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:10 AM

Wow, I am continually amazed at the creativity of our group... Rando, what a gem...

Hadn't thought about the "enjoying the outdoor experience" and not loosing it with the 4 wheel setup until you mentioned it above... for us we use a small backpack camp stove to brew coffee outside each morning and often use our small Weber bbq for many meals... use the inside burners maybe for breakfast... Lynn is the creative one as she plans most of our meals while out...they are usually simple and probably healthier than we eat when home... simple also as most of the day we out fly fishing--early to late afternoon or evening...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful invention ... don't be surprised if others may want to duplicate or ask about marketing it...great job!

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

I think we can all agree that food just taste better when cooked (and eaten) outdoors.
Even though we ordered our camper with a cooktop inside for the (hopefully) few times it will be raining we have yet to use it.
We had a Tee put in our propane line coming off the tanks and run a flexible hose to our Coleman stove. We love it!
Here's a picture with our old truck the first night we camped in it...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0911.jpg

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:01 PM

I still use my single burner backpacking stove.  Love cooking and being outside!

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:36 AM

Very nice setup!

Rather than tote extra propane bottles, I just remove one of the camper bottles from its compartment and use it to fuel our Partner Steel stove.

Unless raining, we cook outside regardless of temp.  As Eddie stated, food just tastes better!

Lynn preparing "Spaghetti alla Vongole'" with salad and Chianti Reserve at Point Sublime, North Rim, Grand Canyon.  Sourced clams at Whole Foods in Flagstaff, along with a lot of other good eats before heading north.

IMG_1703_copy-2.jpg

Edited by Advmoto18, 27 August 2018 - 12:39 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stove, Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users