• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:27 AM

When figuring out the layout for our camper, I struggled with the entry ladder situation.   The side door on the flatbed is a little higher than the door on the slide in camper, and entry/exit from a FWC is already a little awkward due to the hobbit door.    I spent way too much time perseverating  on this, but eventually came up with a pretty good solution - half of a 'little giant' step ladder.   This provided, large, flat, grippy and stable stairs - perfect for backing out of the camper, after dark with two beverages in hand.   These have worked pretty well over the past couple of years, and I think a few others have adopted the idea:

Entry Ladder

Unlike some of my other ideas, this one worked pretty well first time, and hasn't needed a complete redesign.  But there was some room for improvement.  The first issue is the length of the ladder.  I have the 4-step model, and on flat ground it was a tad too short - not a huge deal, but this did give the steps a slight downward slope away from the camper.   On uneven ground this could be pretty significant slope (particularly with leveling blocks under the wheels) leading us to use a 2x4' under the feet to make it more level, and sometimes rocks and logs and whatever else was at hand.  This did not contribute towards my goal of a stable ladder, or help with the evening beverages.   So revision B of the ladder includes adjustable legs, short mode:

Adjustable Ladder Feet

Long mode:

Adjustable Ladder Feet

The tuning used in the ladder is an odd size (neither metric or imperial), but luckily the now removed 'safety rail' is the same size tubing as the legs.  I machined up two pegs for each leg, drilled a series of holes in the tubing from the rail, added a some M6 threaded knobs to hold the leg extension in place, and moved the rubber bumpers to the new legs.   This gives 6" of adjustability for each leg.  

The other issue was the attachment to the side of the camper.   The previous system fixed where the ladder was attached.   The new system uses a section of always-handy 80/20 bolted to the flatbed below the door.   I milled down some U channel to make J channel which grabs the top slot in the 80/20:
Ladder mounting bracket
Ladder mounting bracket

Now you can slide the ladder a couple of cm left or right for when my excellent parking job places a ladder foot right on top of a rock/root/wildflower.  

The whole thing folds flat and stores in the under tray drawer:
IMG 0182.JPG

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:42 AM

Wow, mine is not even close to that - maybe 5-6lbs.   It is all aluminium.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:47 AM

Hello Rando
I'd have to say that looks pretty sweet. I'm still not totally ok with my little step stool. I can not reach our windows w/o standing on the top of a two foot step ladder. How do you get to yours? I also like the way you attach, I have seen that extruded aluminum web site an the uses are only narrowed but your mind.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:00 AM

This is only half the original ladder - so it only works with the mount on the door.   I have never tried reaching the windows (FWC windows open and close from the inside) but I guess you could add an 80/20 rail on both sides of the flatbed so you could reach the windows. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:55 AM

Yep Rando mine open from the inside also, I was referring to the out side blackout / storm flap. On ours I think the windows are up a little higher. Aside from the 4x4 truck, taller side bed rails the cab is a little higher I think. I can sit on the couch with the top down and still have room over head. So outside from the ground those windows are up there.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:38 AM

The blackout / storm flaps open and close from the inside on FWC as well - which is why I have never considered how to get to my windows from the outside. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:42 AM

I have the 3 step Little Giant for my std slide in Hawk. I removed the safety hand rail and caster wheels on mine. Best steps in the world. Super sturdy, and the dogs can easily use them too.

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

Nice piece of work. As I was reading your posts I was wondering where/how you were going to store it then you show the pull out drawer. That is definitely one of the many benefits of a flat bed!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

Hijack warning!

Somewhere I read about ladders (not step ladders) that fold up into a compact -- long and thin -- shape for carrying on campers/rv's.  Can someone point me in the right direction for those?

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Like in this thread?
http://www.wanderthe...er-roof-access/

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users