Photo

Ski carrier for truck bed camper (FWC Ranger 2)?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

Hello!

I just bought a 1993 Ranger 2 and plan to sue it for winter camping. There is obviously very little storage in a camper this size.

What solutions have others come up with to carry a few sets of skis, boots, and gear? Trailer hitch carrier? Ski box with gas lifter struts? Some rack system inside the camper?

For what its worth, I will be installing at least 100W of solar on the roof.

For example, I still have my yakima bars and ski box from my leer shell and am trying to figure out if I should sell them.

Thanks!

-Patrick

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0609.jpg
  • IMG_0611.jpg
  • IMG_0629.jpg

#2 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:45 AM

I have talked to so many people about this problem. None of us have the solution still. The makeshift method is to throw the skis in the camper, then when you park, throw the skis in the cab. It is not ideal.

The boxes on the roof are heavy and tough to get to in the poped position. Rear hitches can work better, but get in the way of the door. I have been contemplating a side carry on the outside of the camper with a rifle rack type of thing, but have yet to implement it. I am all ears for whoever gets to the solution figured out. PS, you are going to love the FWC as ski base camp :) check my youtube channel for ;)

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#3 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:12 AM

I have talked to so many people about this problem. None of us have the solution still. The makeshift method is to throw the skis in the camper, then when you park, throw the skis in the cab. It is not ideal.

The boxes on the roof are heavy and tough to get to in the poped position. Rear hitches can work better, but get in the way of the door. I have been contemplating a side carry on the outside of the camper with a rifle rack type of thing, but have yet to implement it. I am all ears for whoever gets to the solution figured out. PS, you are going to love the FWC as ski base camp :) check my youtube channel for ;)

Thanks for the reply, Tim. I have just recently been watching your videos and found many of them helpful. Seems like your conduit-based support replacement is a really good call. Also seems like that plus some gas lifters would be ideal for mounting a Yakima bars and ski box. I already have the Yakima stuff from a previous vehicle and am considering just going that route. Solar on the roof too.

I’ve owned three VW vans as ski mobiles before, my first one was a 1984 that I lived in Jackson Hole in the winter. A large Platinum Cat heater and Warm Window insulation were pretty good but I supplemented the heater with a 1000W 120V space heater. That’s what I get for growing up in Alaska... I am planning some trips to Tahoe and JHole this winter and will use a Olympian catalytic heater with a Mr Buddy heater as emergency supplement. We’ll see how it goes.

I am also thinking of trying a trailer hitch rack and just deal with it being in the way of the door. Who knows...

#4 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:30 PM

Rock and roll. 

its not my conduit heater, I stand on the shoulder of giants. others from this site have done it before me! 

looking forward to seeing your ski carry solution. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#5 nmhurley

nmhurley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

I put a ski rack the opposite direction at the back of the camper.  It has worked great for holding skis.  I keep it on there all year and use it to carry shovels and axes in the summer. 

MVIMG_20180331_175809 2.jpg

Edited by nmhurley, 17 September 2018 - 04:52 PM.

#6 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:13 PM

Here is a photo of a side-rack from today’s FWC post about their open house:

IMG_0677.JPG

#7 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

What about this Rhino Rack bracket bolted under the side overhang?

"The Pioneer Ski Carrier Bracket mounts a Rhino-Rack Ski Carrier (Small) at a 75 degree angle"

43159-Maxtrax-Angled-Holder-572-04_lrg.j

Or maybe a swing away...

swingaway-frame-ford-transit-ski-snowboa

IMG_20161211_115939898_HDR-01-L.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 06 October 2018 - 01:18 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#8 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

Man, that small Rhino Rack and bracket sure looks like a great option. $200 on etrailer.

Still trying to decide between various roof/hitch/side options for the total cargo load. I’m going to do a dry run at the local hill first before heading out to the Rockies proper this winter.

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

KISS - I transport my skis in the camper and just throw them under the truck when parked and not used.  If you are worried about theft, there are plenty of cable lock solutions for skis.  Boots and other gear replace summer stuff in the camper.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

I noticed that you don't have a roof ladder on the back of your truck and have your tailgate sticking out past your camper....BUT if those weren't the case you could mount some Quick Fist connectors to the vertical rails of the ladder and strap your skis onto those. Heck you may even be able to bolt these directly to the back of your camper....

This is an example of what I'm referring to:

https://www.amazon.c...L70_&dpSrc=srch

As you may know people use these to secure jack's, axes etc. to they're rigs so their pretty secure.

Edited by smlobx, 18 October 2018 - 08:11 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users