• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

White Dog over at Expedition Portal created a post that documented some changes.  But what he had posted about his battery management is a good read.  So here is the link and youtube.  Cheers.

https://www.expediti...ization.197369/

And here is his quote saying...

...I was afraid I was going to have to start into a long description about why this isn't a very good approach. Fortunately, a few days ago, Andrew St. Pierre White at 4XOverland posted a video that describes the problem much better than I can (4XOverland Battery Discussion)....

Edited by pvstoy, 12 September 2018 - 07:15 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:06 AM

I think White Dog is being far too modest - I found the video hard to get though...

Agree the charger should suite the battery - I think that was the message. Though I wonder sometimes just how we all made it this far.

Have never driven to Cairo but I did drive home from our last trip. House batts were ~12V the morning (rested) before we broke camp, maybe a little under. Stock alternator charged, and powering the fridge en route, they were at 12.78 the morning after we got home. Couple days later they are at 12.76. For wet cell ACDelco (like the house batt in the video ?) I'm thinking they've been fully charged. Could be wrong tho.

One difference is the little "pipe" he's describes between the truck and house batts, I used large gauge, controlled with a marine switch. Not for everyone but then, nothing is.

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:13 AM

Agreed Klahanie.  White Dog did oversimplify, but some folks need that to get the point.  I also can charge my camper batteries from the alternator.  But then I don't think either of us drive Toyota's, and we both have fat wires running from alternator to camper.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:39 PM

I like the marine switch myself. I've actually had more occasions to use the camper to charge the truck batteries than the other way around. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Agreed Klahanie.  White Dog did oversimplify, but some folks need that to get the point.  I also can charge my camper batteries from the alternator.  But then I don't think either of us drive Toyota's, and we both have fat wires running from alternator to camper.

I must confess electrical issues are somewhat of a black box to me...

So having said that my question Vic can you explain the wiring from your alternator to your camper?

When I bought my new truck I had our local truck accessory dealer to install a 7 pin switch in the left front side of the bed which is what Hallmark did on our original installation. I have no idea what gauge wire they used or where they ran the wire to..

Any insight would be appreciated....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

Good video, good explanation for the layman.

Edited by Beach, 16 September 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

I must confess electrical issues are somewhat of a black box to me...

So having said that my question Vic can you explain the wiring from your alternator to your camper?

When I bought my new truck I had our local truck accessory dealer to install a 7 pin switch in the left front side of the bed which is what Hallmark did on our original installation. I have no idea what gauge wire they used or where they ran the wire to..

Any insight would be appreciated....

Sure.  There is a pretty detailed thread on my solar/alternator charging build up here

http://www.wanderthe...e-power-scotty/

But to answer your question, I ran #2 AWG welding cable from the alternator back to the camper.  It goes through 100A breakers at both ends, with Anderson Power Pole connectors at the camper/truck bed connection.  I needed 52 feet of this stuff, which isn't cheap.

I also added all kinds of monitoring capability in the cab, so I can see what's going on.  In this pic the switch is selected to measure the voltage at the truck battery, and the current flow from the alternator to the camper batteries.

Monitor - truck side

Edited by Vic Harder, 16 September 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:06 PM

Like Vic I ran 4 gauge welding wire from the alternator to the camper batteries with Anderson power pole connector at the camper interface..  80 amp breakers on each end.  And Blue seas 7622 battery separator at the camper battery.  I have the auto switch to "off" as with my solar it has not been necessary yet to use the trucks alternator to provide charge to the camper batteries.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

Like Vic I ran 4 gauge welding wire from the alternator to the camper batteries with Anderson power pole connector at the camper interface..  80 amp breakers on each end.  And Blue seas 7622 battery separator at the camper battery.  I have the auto switch to "off" as with my solar it has not been necessary yet to use the trucks alternator to provide charge to the camper batteries.

I've forgotten how much solar you have?  I have 265W on the roof, and 200w of portable (never used that yet).  I always let the solar "finish" the job as it has the best algorithm and understanding of what my batteries need, but will connect the 7622 from the cab of my truck while driving to let the alternator do the bulk charging.  

I have 250AH of battery, and rarely get below 85% SOC.  Installed a heater this summer and plan on doing some winter camping, so I may run the batteries down more, and they won't charge much from the sun up here in Alberta.

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

Vic I have the Victron 100/50 smart MPPT charger bought that first thinking I was going to wire in series, cheaper to keep it and use it than returning it.

Solar I have "3"  Overland 160 Watt Semi-flexible Sunpower Gen 3 panels on the roof.  480 watts wired in parallel.  The Hawk flat bed has a huge roof space to put three across between the roof vents.

https://overlandsola...map&ref=yotpo_8

Batteries have "2" of the original 2015 Fiamia 80 amphr that came with the camper. 

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, dual battery, parallel, dc chargers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users