111 replies to this topic

#1 bsam92

bsam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBend

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

My Fleet sticks on my Tacoma full time - so I keep the actual jacks in storage.  Has anyone come up with any creative alternate uses for their jack brackets?  I'm thinking bolt on storage boxes, fly rod holders, ski racks, fold down tables, anything that can be bolted on and avoid drilling more holes into the camper!

As ski season approaches this year I'm trying to think of some way to build a ski rack that I can bolt onto the jack brackets to avoid having to store my skis on the roof or inside, especially when ski camping and the top is popped.  

Interested in hearing any ideas! 

Longtime lurker - this is my first post so I feel I have to include a photo of my pup and I looking over Mt. Bachelor the other day, longing for it to look more like winter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Truck.jpg

#2 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

Bottle opener?

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:56 PM

My Fleet sticks on my Tacoma full time - so I keep the actual jacks in storage.  Has anyone come up with any creative alternate uses for their jack brackets?  I'm thinking bolt on storage boxes, fly rod holders, ski racks, fold down tables, anything that can be bolted on and avoid drilling more holes into the camper!

As ski season approaches this year I'm trying to think of some way to build a ski rack that I can bolt onto the jack brackets to avoid having to store my skis on the roof or inside, especially when ski camping and the top is popped.  

Interested in hearing any ideas! 

Longtime lurker - this is my first post so I feel I have to include a photo of my pup and I looking over Mt. Bachelor the other day, longing for it to look more like winter.

Ski rack..interesting never thought of that [not much weight]...just make certain anything you attach does not increase the width or hang below edge of the camper [if you go off road]; all my skis are 190 cm or less...will measure today.....but either side of our Hawk would block the propane door and interfere with entrance door or the right rear window...perhaps an off set rack on the right rear inboard of the truck bed.

Let us know how you solve the issue of freezing the water system on ski trips...I am still working on that..

Thanks...Phil

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

Bottle opener?

Ace,

I thought your Keystone Light came in cans?   :D

Phil

#5 bsam92

bsam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBend

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

Ski rack..interesting never thought of that [not much weight]...just make certain anything you attach does not increase the width or hang below edge of the camper [if you go off road]; all my skis are 190 cm or less...will measure today.....but either side of our Hawk would block the propane door and interfere with entrance door or the right rear window...perhaps an off set rack on the right rear inboard of the truck bed.

Let us know how you solve the issue of freezing the water system on ski trips...I am still working on that..

Thanks...Phil

Any reason not to increase the width?  Last night after a few beverages I decided to mess around with some scrap wood, cardboard and tape to play with the idea of a bolt on box on the side / potentially use some square tubing to just mount my existing ski rack horizontally to the side of the camper.  I've seen similar things done where people will mount their paddle boards / surf boards on the sides of their vans.

Ideally if I had a few thousand dollars to burn I could convert my Tacoma to a flat bed and all of my exterior storage issues would be solved...oh well maybe someday.

And the freezing water is easy for me, I've got a shell so no plumbing!   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0494.jpg

#6 bsam92

bsam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBend

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

I couldn't figure out how to post two pictures at once...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0495.jpg

Edited by bsam92, 23 September 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:36 PM

Don't I recall an identical reasonably recent thread on this topic?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:40 PM

Good question...about width...if you only attach the rack in winter when you most likely are not going "off road" where a wide load can get snagged or torn off..anything that goes beyond the camper size is counter to our use of my Tundra and Hawk.

A shell?  Damn that is cheating!  Our Hawk is the full-Monty....I have attempt a few 'fixes" to combat freezing temps not just for the plumbing but for the inside...trouble is if they fail and I bust a pipe, well that would prove my assumption was wrong.. :D

I concur with you idea of not putting any holes in the camper...also remember those steps can be load bearing.

Please keep posting as you progress..I would, and I believe you are, have my skis enclosed from the road grit.

Phil

Ps...Weight is also a consideration, but your concept should be light.

PPs...Also check the vehicle code where you plan to drive, some states [Ca] limit the addition [distance] of anything sticking out beyond the right side of the vehicle...think bicycles or peds....if considered a "load".

Edited by Wallowa, 23 September 2018 - 06:45 PM.

#9 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:28 PM

Several years ago I asked my local marine, stainless steel, welder to teach me how to weld stainless steel. He did and I built this exterior driver's side fold down table. 

gallery_2702_1229_17768.jpg

Folds flat against the camper and locks in the up position when traveling, and folds down when at camp. Had to always do that if I wanted to use the furnace as it blocked the furnace exhaust on the driver's side of the camper.  Used it only one Summer before a guy in another camper offered me more than I had invested in it (a lot more), after we saw that it would fit his camper.

If the drawings aren't good enough to explain it... From the stowed position, pull the locking pin out, push up on the table out of the inside drop slot, slide out and into the outside drop slot, then rotate the table into the down position. Cable holds the table securely in a flat position, no legs required, thus no problem with uneven terrain. Reverse the steps for stowing away.

Haven't got around to making another one, but , I think I will, maybe next year or the year after.

#10 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

mounted an awning to those brackets

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ski, jack bracket, storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users