17 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

We hope to be able to do some colder weather camping and I was thinking about how to maximize the thermal efficiency of our camper.

One of the things I realized is that there doesn't appear to be any insulation on/under the floor... so I decided to add some. First, I looked under the camper and realized that the underside of the rig has firing strips running the length of the camper. In my case they are 1 1/2" thick. I decided to install solid rigid foam board to fill the gaps between the runners and bought a sheet of Styrofoam insulation..

https://www.homedepo...ng-4C/100297916

I then measured the distance between the runners and ripped the board on my table saw..NOTE the distances between the runners were all different....Measure twice-cut once!

I attached the foam board to the bottom of the camper with the appropriate foam board adhesive by applying the foam to the board and then lowering the camper onto the precisely placed foam boards. I'm letting them sit overnight to bond completely and I should be good to go.

The whole project cost less than $30 and only took an hour. The foam board is impervious to moisture and should last as long as the camper. It provides us with an additional R-7.5 and probably weighs less than 5 pounds.

The foam board pieces sit flush with the runners so they don't affect the height of the camper.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0924.JPG
  • IMG_0926.JPG
  • IMG_0927.JPG
  • IMG_0928.JPG

Edited by smlobx, 06 October 2018 - 11:16 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

That should really help you stay toasty!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

Here's a not so great phone picture of the foam lying flush to the bottom of the runners...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0929.JPG

Eddie
KO4CPL

#4 Scott_H

Scott_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPark City, Utah

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

I was considering doing this for my Milner.  Would love to know if you are able to tell a difference with this mod? I was thinking of using some velcro or a more temporary way to keep in place when the camper is off of the truck.  Any thoughts on this?  Do you also use a rubber map between your truck bed and Everest?  Thanks! 

#5 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

I did this mod. I was able to tell a difference. The floor doesn't feel as cold as it did with the bare feet test...lol

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:26 AM

Eddie, great idea!

Our camper is sitting on the jacks, so a good time to add the rigid foam.

I stumbled upon this concept and it has worked great for us.

This sleeping bag pad from WalMart cut to fit.  We camped on the Alvord (OR) in a blizzard.  The inside of the camper was nice and toasty;  we could walk on the pad bare footed, that warm and comfortable.  I lifted the pad and the camper floor had to be near freezing temp.

Bill

Edited by Advmoto18, 05 December 2019 - 12:29 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:22 AM

I used the exact same foam board from Home Depot to fill in the spaces on my last two FWC flatbeds. However, I ordered them with only one 'runner' so we only had 3/4" to work with. (It kept my overall height lower.) Does it work? Don't know but definitely worth the 20 bucks or sure to know we did the best we could! :)

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:38 AM

I was wondering how that insulation got there...thanks Steve!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:56 PM

I was considering doing this for my Milner.  Would love to know if you are able to tell a difference with this mod? I was thinking of using some velcro or a more temporary way to keep in place when the camper is off of the truck.  Any thoughts on this?  Do you also use a rubber map between your truck bed and Everest?  Thanks! 

Hi Scott-

Yes we do use the rubber mat under our camper that Hallmark provided us but doubt that it adds any insulative qualities as the air gap provided by the campers runners allowed cold air to circulate under there.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#10 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:41 AM

It is my understanding that in current (new) Hallmarks there is some insulation in the floor. If I recall correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users