#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

—snip—
Well this sounds promising, any suggestions on where to buy Anderson connectors.
Thanks for the input.
Russ

PowerWerx carries much of the Anderson PowerPole products and are popular in the amateur radio community. Their ratcheting crimpers result in non deformed terminals that slide easily into the plastic parts. https://powerwerx.co...-power-products

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

Blue Sky

You image attached to your posting brings up a question I have long pondered.

How large a portal  cut in the side of the floorpak can one make without structural issues ?

The round hole is a very strong shape structuraly.  

David Graves

Ah, that's the $13,000 question.  Round is certainly better, but I cut a square hole to the rear of the wheel arch, staying an inch or more away from the edges of the plywood, boxed in from the outside, good for frying pans but probably too shallow for a battery, fine so far...

i-gHqj9PS-M.jpg

Round or oval is better. My sense is that these campers are pretty light, and the weight is distributed over the length of the bed (6.5 feet), so a hole the size of the ones used for the turnbuckle access are probably ok to add on each side, assuming you are not blasting down trails getting air. If the plywood were to fail, it would probably buckle inward along a line parallel to the floor at about the middle of the hole you cut.  Fixable but something bad is probably going to happen elsewhere in the structure too.

#13 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

It's only wood !  ; )

In reality....your 1 inch from plywood cut in the corner in the second image is still and long way from the back corner of the floorpak.

Am I seeing it correctly ?

The front and rear wall and corner with the sides are what seems to provide the rigiidty or "box strength"

Glad to see such improvisation...god for you.

David Graves   

#14 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

It's only wood !  ; )

In reality....your 1 inch from plywood cut in the corner in the second image is still and long way from the back corner of the floorpak.

Am I seeing it correctly ?

The front and rear wall and corner with the sides are what seems to provide the rigiidty or "box strength"

Glad to see such improvisation...god for you.

David Graves   

That's the furnace cabinet to the left of my square hole (and the turnbuckle access panel).  So yes I am away from the rear most panel of the camper. 

I was thinking, if you put two smaller batteries on each side, you have to run wires between them.  I guess you could put the wires tucked under the bed rail in front, or drill holes and run them under the bed. You also have to have your battery separator in there somewhere.  Maybe there is a waterproof version, or just put it under the hood.

#15 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

Putting in an access door so you would be able to access the battery without removing the camper would certainly be an easy option for someone with a shell model. I will add that anyone going with this relocation would be smart to put you battery(ies) into a marine type battery box to avoid acid coming into contact with a metal truck bed. A good battery tie down is essential too, as a loose battery banging around will do some serious welding and or fire and no way to get to it unless you remove the camper; not good.

#16 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

Not cutting any holes in my camper period, anyway there cabinets and sofa in the way. Would drill for the wires and use Anderson connectors.
Batteries will be in the the plastic battery box which will strapped to the mounting bracket. That will be bolted to the bed.

You made me think of something new. The cheesy strap will need to be revised. Must have strap that will not rot or have plastic buckle to break.
Thank you.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#17 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Realize I'm late to the party here, but I was just wondering how much internal space you're going to gain back, and what you plan to store there?  Cause this strikes me as an awful lot of work for not an awful lot of return.  Of course, that could just be my inner lazy bum speaking . . .

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

Russ, my older FWCs I had the battery in the bed. The campers were also bolted through the floor. I used the marine battery boxes with footman loops on the bed with just the nylon strap that came with it. Never had a problem. Now that I know about Anderson connections I would have used one of them. I even had the starter battery back there on the other side. I had sealed blue top battery's, but I would not have done that if I had lead acid batteries. Use proper wire grommets and wire loom and strap the wires down and watch where things move and rub.

You mentioned solar controller, if you have a model that you can add a tempature sensor that would be good. The controller depending on your model likes to see what the temperature is at the battery and adjust charging accordingly. Not a end game if you can't move it with the battery as the one FWC is putting in on a inside cabinit face don't have a probe to the battery.

Just think of it as wood and metal... everything can be modified to fit your wants and desires, just takes time and money.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:13 PM

I have been trying to think how we can use the dead space on either side of the camper in front of the wheel wells. It occurred to me that if we transfer our house batteries to this dead space we would essentially be gaining that same space inside.
Other than not being able to access the batteries with the camper on the truck what other cons do you see with this idea.
Thanks in advance.

Russ

I did this on my prior set up, a 2000 Tundra with the FWC Ranger.  The Ranger was pretty narrow so there was plenty of room to bolt the battery box to the bed.  It worked out fine but I eventually moved it back into the camper.  It did add considerable storage room under the bench.

Have your considered relocating the battery under the truck bed rails?

TLA7727_8_250.jpg

This looks like a good solution if one is available for your application. 

TorkLift HiddenPower Under Vehicle Battery Box

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#20 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

Realize I'm late to the party here, but I was just wondering how much internal space you're going to gain back, and what you plan to store there?  Cause this strikes me as an awful lot of work for not an awful lot of return.  Of course, that could just be my inner lazy bum speaking . . .

This is the conclusion I came to, as well as shifting the weight back forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users