• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

Does anybody know how much the rear seats weigh in the Toyota tundra double cab? I’m thinking of removing them for extra space, and less weight

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:26 AM

Does anybody know how much the rear seats weigh in the Toyota tundra double cab? I’m thinking of removing them for extra space, and less weight

I have a 2002 AC cab and removed the seat.I made a plywood backing and floor where the seat was.

I use the 3 drawer plastic file cabinets for storage.

One on each side facing out,for "his"/"her"clothes.They work great.

Don't know how much the seat weights but it feels like 60/70#.

It's a great place for storage.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

I have a 2002 AC cab and removed the seat.I made a plywood backing and floor where the seat was.

I use the 3 drawer plastic file cabinets for storage.

One on each side facing out,for "his"/"her"clothes.They work great.

Don't know how much the seat weights but it feels like 60/70#.

It's a great place for storage.

Frank

I would think at least 70 LBS for the rear seats, they are HEAVY

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:32 PM

I would think at least 70 LBS for the rear seats, they are HEAVY

We did this in our '05 Tundra AC...at least 70lbs with seat belt hardware...we use 7 Rubbermaid bins that are numbered; we have an inventory sheet for everything stored in truck and Hawk...where and what.

Recommend leaving rear window view unobstructed....we can see out the back door of the Hawk to view traffic behind us...plus we have slider windows in trk and Hawk..

#5 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

We did this in our '05 Tundra AC...at least 70lbs with seat belt hardware...we use 7 Rubbermaid bins that are numbered; we have an inventory sheet for everything stored in truck and Hawk...where and what.

Recommend leaving rear window view unobstructed....we can see out the back door of the Hawk to view traffic behind us...plus we have slider windows in trk and Hawk..

Exactly my thoughts, thanks, back seats removed yesterday, huge cavernous space now, only item in the way is the holder for the bottle jack, no big deal. That seat is tricky to remove by yourself though, I scratched the door frame of the truck a bit (not bad), next time the DW will assist!!

#6 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:00 AM

They weigh quite a bit. I removed mine, and recall it was a bit of an effort to hoist the seat assembly out. I replace my entire rear seat assembly with a combination dog bed platform (with storage underneath) and an upright cabinet storage against the back wall that I built myself. Way better use of the space back there for us.

Edited by trikebubble, 19 October 2018 - 12:02 AM.

#7 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:57 AM

I removed mine and put in a dog platform.
Plywood mounted to angle aluminum on a piano hinge.
Elevated about 8” off the floor, plenty of room for our 2 75 lb. labradors and storage underneath.
Tool box, hot water heater, dog ropes, first aid kit, jump starter with air compressor all underneath.
When the grandkids come we’ll have to rethink it but for now it’s great.

#8 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:15 AM

I just bought a 2006 Tundar AC and it had back seats replaced with a plywood version of back seats with 3/4 inch foam.  Before I had a 2002 Tundra AC with back bench seats.  I would guess they way about 40 lbs.  The advantage of the plywood version is that there is a lot more space.  I like to carry a folding bike with me and it fits easly with the plywood seats.  I salvaged the old seats out of my old 2002 just in case I want to sell it, but will keep the plywood version.  

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

I'm guessing my '14 Tundra seat was 60-70 lbs. I built in a lockable cabinet in it's place to store a 2ton floor jack, cordless impact, air compressor, and misc recovery gear. To me the weight savings is not a factor, but I like having my gear out of sight, organized and somewhat secure.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

I'm guessing my '14 Tundra seat was 60-70 lbs. I built in a lockable cabinet in it's place to store a 2ton floor jack, cordless impact, air compressor, and misc recovery gear. To me the weight savings is not a factor, but I like having my gear out of sight, organized and somewhat secure.

I hear you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users