20 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 October 2018 - 03:00 PM

A couple of thoughts... a new 1 ton is roughly $1000 more than a 3/4 ton, and resale is typically much better down the line. Payload values are higher as well.

If you want to retain the tailgate for locking security and a back porch, talk to Alaskan.

I am haunted by waters

#12 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

Conversely, with an 8 foot bed, you can fit a 10 foot Alaskan, with the additional 2 feet on the tailgate, as seen in pictures on the Alaskan site.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:04 PM

Okay, this is more or less on this subject! In 2005, I bought a new Granby and mounted it on my '99 1/2 ton 4x4 F150 extended cab with a 6.5 bed-tail gate down.  I really did not like the ride and reversed dump look, so I went through the usual progression of heavy duty hilwig springs, air bags etc., and nothing really worked or fixed the problem. I finally went down to the local Susanville ford dealer for help and I was in luck because one of the mechanics had recently transferred over to Susanville from one of the central valley dealers and suggested that I call a blacksmith over in Red Bluff (Moore's Blacksmith Shop) that specialized in beefing up  1/2 tons into 3/4 tons by adding a new 3/4 ton type suspension and other modifications. Anyway I had it done and it was the best $500.00 bucks I ever spent and all I do is have them tighten up the bolts   during my annual maint. check.  No problems ever since then. Lesson learned, " I should have bought a F250 with a 8' bed or bought the next pop-up type down in size! Don't know how much that helps!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 25 October 2018 - 06:09 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:15 PM

We are looking at the 6.5 foot cab over.  Our plan is to get a GMC Sierra 1500 regular cab.

PackRat, what do you think about the difference between an 8' and a 7'?  After all of the input, we've decided to go with a 3/4 ton pickup... makes a lot more sense!  Now, our question is 6 3/4' bed or an 8' bed.  The cost difference between the 7' and 8' Alaskan is marginal, so it comes down to which truck bed to get.  Any more thoughts?

We're looking at a Ford Super Duty (3/4 ton)... It comes with either a 6 3/4' or an 8'...

Are you still wanting a regular cab ? Myself, I wouldn't buy a reg cab with short box, too many limitations for resale.

Reg cab long box would work great for an 8' or 8.5' and still be a good all rounder size (ime). Have you been inside a newer Alaskan to gauge how it might suit ? With these longer camper lengths there is space to alter the size of dinette and cabinet storage.

If you are now considering extended or crew cab then your comfort with overall truck length comes into play.

#15 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

I personally wish I had never bought a 1/2 ton with 6.5 bed because of the low payload. If I had to do it all over again it would be at least a 3/4 ton with 8 ft. bed then I would get a vintage 10 ft. Alaskan  :thumb:

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#16 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

Are you still wanting a regular cab ? Myself, I wouldn't buy a reg cab with short box, too many limitations for resale.

Reg cab long box would work great for an 8' or 8.5' and still be a good all rounder size (ime). Have you been inside a newer Alaskan to gauge how it might suit ? With these longer camper lengths there is space to alter the size of dinette and cabinet storage.

If you are now considering extended or crew cab then your comfort with overall truck length comes into play.

Food for thought...  Thanks!

#17 HarveyHolroyd

HarveyHolroyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

I recently purchased an new Alaskan 8.5 cabover on a 2105 f-350 crewcab 6.5 foot bed with the tailgate down. I think this represents the best compromise between wheelbase, cab and camper space.I went with the diesel and have plenty of power and payload.

Cheers

2015 Ford F350 6.5' bed diesel 4x4 crew cab, 2018 Alaskan 8.5' ext. Cabover

#18 noteven

noteven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlberta summer & western USA winter.

Posted 27 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

I run a 2006 3500 Dodge 8 ft bed 4wd quad cab (small rear doors) owned since 2008 and a new to me 1974 vintage 10’ CO.

The long truck takes a bit of parking management in cities. Everywhere else is fine.

The rear cab area with doors is great for camper work.

Next step may be a flatbed with storage under the camper wings.

Have you looked at a flatbed Alaskan? Lots of advantages. Side entry, rear dinette to enjoy the scenery, frees rear of unit to trailer or carry stuff on the camper rig.
1974 Alaskan 10’ CO

#19 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:09 PM

Lots of things in play here....

1) do you want/need seating for four people in the cab?

2) do you want/need an 8' bed?

3) will you be using this as a daily driver in cities?

I will admit my F-250  Lariat 4x4 (fold down rear seat accessed by folding pass seat down) with an 8' bed is not easy to get around parking lots  and takes a LOT of room to do a U-turn. However, once you get out of town that isn't an issue. Once you get into your camping areas, the 4x4 may/can be very helpful. The 8' bed now makes hauling an 8' Alaskan (or a 10') a piece of cake and you won't be over any weight limitations.

Having had an 8' NCO, the 48" wide dinette bunk just didn't cut it for me and the Mrs. After a detour into a Lance camper, I'm back now with an 8' CO Alaskan which gives us BOTH a nice, large sleeping space! I like the fact that the tailgate closes up and the truck bumper will take any rear-ending episodes, not the camper and I REALLY like the "rear porch" it affords you for muddy shoes, setting stuff on (my propane tank) and such. With just the two of us, the 8' is OK for roominess since they are all the same width between cabinetry anyway. 

Anyway you cut it, a 1/2 ton truck is tempting the hand of fate....I did it  with the first F-150 and Alaskan but it did not have a rear seat and was an 8' tub. That moves the center of gravity forward. A 1/2 ton with and extended cab and short tub leaves you with a center of gravity more to the rear and may seriously put you over on that axle.

Never send a boy to do a man's job.....

Go with at least a 3/4 ton for any Alaskan and go with an 8' bed and then the 8' or 10' CO or NCO are a piece of cake as long as you have enough engine/transmission gearing to haul it!

Go take a look at the pics posted by Alaskan owners to see what they are using for a camper/truck combination....small truck and big Alaskans are not well represented!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#20 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

So we finally made our decisions.  We had settled on an F250 SuperCab 4x4, but there was an F350 CrewCab 4x4 with a 6'8" bed for a great price.  We have that home now.   We've ordered the 7' Alaskan Cabover to go with it.  Really APPRECIATE all of the perspectives that were shared.  I'm real comfortable driving the F350 and it has the extra beef to safely carry the 7' cabover.  Looking forward to delivery of the Alaskan sometime next year!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users