#21 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:22 AM

I started with boards... then got rid of some of the boards and added the yellow stepped ramps from Camco.

Now i am moving towards carrying less and like to use a shovel to dig out rather than lift the other side. If you do need to lift the other side, wood, rocks, and shovel a little dirt or gravel on top if you need to.  

#22 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

I use these - the yellow stepped ramps from Camco.  If I need a third wheel lifted, I use a red plastic hi-lift jack plate I carry for jacking.

https://www.amazon.c...=leveler blocks

I also use the step blocks. I am going to add another step consisting of a 2x6 screwed to the bottom as they don't do well in sand or fine dirt.

Another thread on this subject!

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#23 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

I carry a big plastic storage container (tub) in the asile of my Fleet and take it out each day. It mostly contains a bunch of pieces of 1" thick pressure treated deck board. It's called 5/4 x 6. The pieces are 12", 18" and 24" long. I stack them up as needed and drive up onto them. This setup has worked fine, so far. Leveling to plus-or-minus a few inches is plenty good enough. The trick in driving up without shifting the stacks of boards is to put the truck in 4-wheel-drive-LOW. That way each wheel is actively climbing and I can go very slowly. A couple of the long boards have split, but I can still use them.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#24 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:37 AM

We bought Lynx Levelers recently and tried them out on a 12 day trip recently. I was pretty happy with them, but for severe terrain issued, you would need to get pretty elaborate with stacking and need more than one set. We were able to level our truck every time with them, but almost every site was close to level.

First time using them on asphalt with more than one block, they kept skidding along in front of the tire. We always keep 2-4 of those 20" square foam interlocking mats (people use them for home gym floors) on trips. Two of them wedge securely between the front of the camper and the front wall of the truck bed, so they basically take up a small amount of space that can't be used for anything else anyways. We always brought them along to make a door mat at the foot of our steps in case it is muddy. I put one under each stack of leveling blocks; when the truck tire contacts the blocks, it pushes them down into the soft mat and locks them into place.

#25 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

I posted this on the other thread....

2x6 Levelers.jpg

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#26 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Had the Lynx. Wasn't satisfied with the way they worked. Wood is cheap but heavy. Got the Camcos and have been very satisfied.

I have levels in my cab and usually just drive around the camp site a bit until camper is level. I am surprised how often that works. If there is a handy slanted rock, I will try to use that. If those fail, or I know that there is no way that they will work, then out come the Camcos.

Gregg

#27 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

We bought Lynx Levelers recently and tried them out on a 12 day trip recently. I was pretty happy with them, but for severe terrain issued, you would need to get pretty elaborate with stacking and need more than one set. We were able to level our truck every time with them, but almost every site was close to level.

First time using them on asphalt with more than one block, they kept skidding along in front of the tire. We always keep 2-4 of those 20" square foam interlocking mats (people use them for home gym floors) on trips. Two of them wedge securely between the front of the camper and the front wall of the truck bed, so they basically take up a small amount of space that can't be used for anything else anyways. We always brought them along to make a door mat at the foot of our steps in case it is muddy. I put one under each stack of leveling blocks; when the truck tire contacts the blocks, it pushes them down into the soft mat and locks them into place.

FWIW I always put the truck into 4WD Low Range when leveling onto blocks. Gives me more control over vehicle position and the blocks don't move when the fronts try to climb up onto them.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#28 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

FWIW I always put the truck into 4WD Low Range when leveling onto blocks. Gives me more control over vehicle position and the blocks don't move when the fronts try to climb up onto them.

+1

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#29 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:43 AM

That makes sense. In our situation the rear needed to come up quite a bit more than the fronts, and they were the ones giving us trouble because the stack was so steep.

#30 Towboater

Towboater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

TSC sells 1" thick rubber stall matts that I cut with a circular saw into 10" wide strips. They stack easily and don't slide around when rolling on them. U have 2 overcompensate on thickness since weight does compress them but not a big deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users