23 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your input so far. To clarify, I was thinking about being able to sit cross-legged in the upper bed (that’s over the truck cab) and use it for extra lounging space. It’s good to know that 4WC offers an extra height build—didn’t know that was an option.

It’s also been helpful to hear the different ways that people have worked out for using their space (ex.: alternating who sleeps in upper bed, etc.). Keep the comments coming. Thanks!

Interesting topic...we only travel with the two of us and read in bed [upper bed/'16 Hawk] before konking out...sitting up not needed for us lots of places to sit down below with side dinette...

Wonder how extra height is achieved?  Extra height to top or extended side panels?  Probably not significant wind drag issue either way but lifting front could take more umph...fore and aft panels would need changes I assume...

Good to get what you want; after really turning over the pros and cons..cuz you need to live with your choices...

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 19 November 2018 - 08:16 PM.

#12 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:54 AM

Here’s our experience in an 09 Hawk. I’m 6’ 3” so if I’m in the cab over bunk, I’m lying prone, left to right. If I want to sit up, I’m down in the dinette.

I sleep next to the bunk edge so it’s tight for my wife to crawl over me to get to the front of the bunk.

#13 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

I'm 6'2" and I usually prop a couple pillows against the vinyl section and kind of lean into it when watching movies. I definitely

can't sit straight up in the Hawk, but so far it has not been an issue. We have two dogs and we can all relax pretty comfortably on the Queen size bed while watching a movie or reading.

It really depends on where you see yourself traveling. So far we really haven't been limited due to the size of the Tundra and Hawk combination and we off-road and jam it into places it has no place going.

All other things being equal I'd opt for the full size truck and Hawk over the smaller truck and camper. I'm not familiar with the power of the F-150, but I imagine it should more than enough power to get you where you're going in comfort. I', all in on a full size truck myself, the increased interior room for comfort on long trips, the added power, payload, increased interior size of the camper...to me it's a no-brainer.

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your input so far. To clarify, I was thinking about being able to sit cross-legged in the upper bed (that’s over the truck cab) and use it for extra lounging space. It’s good to know that 4WC offers an extra height build—didn’t know that was an option.

It’s also been helpful to hear the different ways that people have worked out for using their space (ex.: alternating who sleeps in upper bed, etc.). Keep the comments coming. Thanks!

No point in buying an uncomfortable camper. The length of the overcab berth would be my first concern. If too short, or diagonal too groovy then buy the bigger one. If getting a roll over couch layout, the width of the lower bed would be a factor. Our Granby made up is 42" wide, barely enough but possible to sleep top down.

Another consideration is interior height, top down. For jumping in to use the porta potti, change clothes, make some lunch etc.

Be nice if you could test before buying.

fwiw  We run a large fullsize which, for our own reasons, is a good set up for us right now. But I have to say, every time I go to the store parking lot and see a Tacoma parked, I instantly see it's appeal for driving around the city. Furthermore, the narrower, shorter platform and matching camper would have been welcome many a time off highway; we've done a lot of road-edge pruning over the years and turning around would have been less worrying.

No pot stirring, just saying, each rig has it's merits. And each owner has her own wants and plans for use.

Good luck with the hunt !

#15 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:36 AM

Unrelated to height, but whichever you get, Fleet or hawk, I recommend getting the king bed option. In the hawk, sleeping front to back, rather than side to side, is great with two people. No crawling over the top of each other and more head and foot room compared to sleeping sideways. When pulled out, there isn't much room to stand, but you don't have to pull it out all the way. You have the option of using it in full, queen or king mode.

#16 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:53 PM

One of the first things I did was to put some closed cell pipe insulation on the push board over our heads. Those edges are sharp enough to cause a decent head wound on the 08 models.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#17 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

I had a Hawk shell on a Ram 1500 and now have a Swift on a Tacoma. It was not until reading this that I realized I can sit up in the Swift and not the Hawk. It has been nice on a couple occasions being able to host a few people "downstairs" while I'm up top with legs dangling and beer on the counter. I am not satisfied with the power of the Tacoma and the camper. The next step will be to trade to an F-150 but keep the Swift though it will need a small platform and jack extensions.  Best of both worlds also smaller campers look good on bigger trucks because there is little or no overhang off the sides of the bed. 

#18 caykend

caykend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:59 AM

Thought I’d post an update on our decision. We’ve ordered a Fleet and a new Ford Ranger which has a higher payload than the Tacoma. We feel the smaller vehicle will work better for us when the camper is off. We don’t expect delivery until late spring so it will be a while before we can let you know how it all works out.

#19 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

The issue is "bed-rail" height. With the Tacoma the top is higher because the "bed-rails" are lower than in a full-size truck. My buddy could not sit up in his '06 Kestral (Hawk) sitting on a 2013 Chevy 1500 while I can sit up in mine. Sitting up is important because we sleep "north-south" so its easier to get in and out of the bed.

"First-N-" You mention that you don't like the lack of power in your Tacoma so you must have the 3.5 motor. Our Tacoma with the 4.0 V6. Loaded for a week off road at 6100 pounds passes semi's on 2 way roads like a sports car. Looks like I will be keeping our 2013 for the rest of my driving life.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 24 December 2018 - 10:30 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#20 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:07 PM

The issue is "bed-rail" height. With the Tacoma the top is higher because the "bed-rails" are lower than in a full-size truck. My buddy could not sit up in his '06 Kestral (Hawk) sitting on a 2013 Chevy 1500 while I can sit up in mine. Sitting up is important because we sleep "north-south" so its easier to get in and out of the bed.

"First-N-" You mention that you don't like the lack of power in your Tacoma so you must have the 3.5 motor. Our Tacoma with the 4.0 V6. Loaded for a week off road at 6100 pounds passes semi's on 2 way roads like a sports car. Looks like I will be keeping our 2013 for the rest of my driving life.

yeah, I have not driven a 4.0 but the consensus seems to be that they are better at least lower down and the 3.5 was optimized to have power closer to redline which I just do not want to use. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations but it stinks and just not getting used to it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: head room, fleet, hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users