14 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:38 AM

To bring another item into the discussion when was the last time you had your brake fluid changed?
On our race cars we did it every other weekend and on many street performance cars they reccomend flushing your brake fluid every two years. I would think for our applications every three to five years would be fine but it is something you should take into consideration.

Good point!  I flush mine every two years at least.  Any discoloration is a sign of deterioration and should be investigated too.

#12 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

Great comments, thanks.  I do plan on changing the fluid, Nissan recommends every 30K.  I think I will stick with standard type rotors, now to decide on a brand and manufacturer.  Head spinning. :blink:

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#13 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

Water getting into a brake system is the biggest reason aside from excessive heat for brake fluid to be changed.  You don't want your calipers and brake system rusting out from the inside and not working.  If I lived in areas with high humidity or did excessive driving with brakes under water I would consider changing fluid more often.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

In the 4WD Toyota world OEM rotors and pads in particular are held in high regard. Enough so that sources for them outside of Toyota's mark-up have been found. I would suggest researching the Nissan forums to see if a similar sourcing exists.

Normal brake fluid is supposed to emulsify any moisture that gets into the system. Regular flushing then removes that moisture. It is a good overall system if the owner does their part. Road racers flush regularly because any moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid. They also do not buy the large containers of fluid unless bleeding a new, dry system. They buy small bottles and leave them sealed until needed. All of this is to keep the boiling point of the fluid as high as possible.

Along comes silicone brake fluid and some owners think "now I don't have to flush as often because it doesn't absorb moisture!" Nothing could be further from the truth. With silicone brake fluid the system should be flushed much more often.

Why? Water is denser than silicone brake fluid. Give it enough time and it will condense into all of the local low spots in the system, and then start to rust or corrode whatever parts it is contact with. How do I know this? My Early Bronco that came out of the Puget Sound area with silicone brake fluid in it taught me all about this. I've no clue how it rusted a 'bath-tub' ring in the low spots of the iron m/c's reservoir under the silicone fluid, but it did.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

Thom thanks for expanding on water and heat with brake fluid....

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mid Size, brakes, Nissan, frontier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users