18 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

When its cold I want it to work. Mine worked great all weekend. So its not programmable. I don't mind.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

When its cold I want it to work. Mine worked great all weekend. So its not programmable. I don't mind.

This is spot on.  Mine digital Honeywell worked fine Thursday night and then quit working after that.  Oh well, live and learn, if the new one is off by a couple degrees because it's mechanical rather than digital its not the end of the world.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#13 HJota

HJota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

"The CT50K, for twice the price, allows operation down to 35 degrees versus the 50 degrees of the Dometic."   

I find the thermostat in my Eagle does not go low enough. Just before it shuts off i wake up because i am over heated. Even at the lowest setting. This CT50K might be the answer i am looking for.  That or move the existing thermostat to a higher location in the camper.

#14 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

I do not need programmable complexity. I want 35-40 low temp setting option at night. I may give this unit a go in either the vertical or horizontal configuration & Hope for the best.
https://www.amazon.c...11WPJYESY54FD35
I will definitely also look into the CT50K as it is a manual thermostat. No battery required.

Edited by Stokeme, 27 February 2020 - 03:23 AM.

#15 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

Purchased & just installed the CT50K. So far I think it is the answer, for my 2018 FWC furnace, to allow a temp setting below 50F. It is a manual unit needing no battery, which is a plus, but is non-programmable. I now have a good low temp option (below 50F) of 35F to 40F. Obviously it heats well above 50F if needed. Every digital unit I tried failed to perform.
It was slightly challenging to install as the FWC wall wire is a very stiff ~12awg wire. Maybe it’s so stiff as to prevent the wire from falling back into the wall & becoming irretrievable. The screw contacts in this thermostat though are quite tiny with no real entry point for a spade fastener. The wall wire is really too thick to attempt a wrap around with this tiny screw. I luckily had 2 tiny, open end, crimp ring terminals that were small enough to enable a fit with the screw in the contact point after a battle with the wire.

Edited by Stokeme, 27 February 2020 - 03:22 AM.

#16 Aussiedor

Aussiedor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

Currently we have a Honeywell TH1100DV1000/U in our FWC.  We've definitely had repair issues with our Dometic Furnace that came with the camper.  Now I'm trying to figure out if we are having problems with the Thermostat.  It seems to be having intermittent problems.  Our last trip the thermostat was keeping out furnace on longer than it should.  Anyway I went into setting mode and found that the "5" "function/mode" set on something other than "5".  Does anyone have experience with these settings?  I looked in the Manual obviously and found that the thermostat function "5" should be set on "5".  I'm not sure if this was the problem.  The other issue I'm having is the "Bandwidth" for temperature.  It's very narrow.  Only a few degrees.  Does anyone know of a thermostat that has an adjustable temperature bandwidth ?

#17 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:12 AM

Aussiedor ...

My 2018 Grandby Shell came with a very simple analog, manual therm, 50-90F, the slider was the on/off. I wanted a lower temp option than 50F. I tried 3 different very basic digital units. They all failed miserably causing the heater to cycle erratically. I inquired at a FWC rally & was told they stopped using a digital therm 2-3 years ago.
I went back to the original unit. It works consistently & adequately, but the temp slider setting is admittedly vague. I saw this thread about the Honeywell CT50K & wanted the 35F minimum. I installed it last Fall & it is working well. It is great to set a lower night time temp. It has a separate on/off switch. It is still vague but the Camper is so small it’s not really a meaningful issue to me. It’s simple, effective, & requires no batteries. I can not help with digital settings or bandwidth issues. You might consider a manual therm.

Edited by Stokeme, 28 February 2020 - 06:29 AM.

#18 wandern

wandern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

I've used the LuxPRO PSD010BF in several campers.  I like them better than the Honeywell (backlighting, buttons, and accuracy), and they've been very reliable.  Their minimum temperature setting is 40 deg F.

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B005FYNCJW

#19 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

What vintage FWC, what heater brand(s) was compatible? Looks like a nice simple unit. My “newer” FWC Atwood did not gel well with digital units from Honeywell or Emerson. I did not try LuxPro. Would really enjoy digital choices for therm temp setting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users