C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

Thanks Mark for the natures view.

What a fun back yard.

We live in an area that has "green space" behind the house and

get a lot of wildlife also. I stopped feeding the birds as they made too much of a mess

The field rats were attracted to the food the birds spilled out of the feeders.

I do make lots of different houses for them and also put out some stuffing fiber for their nests.

I do miss watching the Finches though.

On our walks around the area we see a large assortment of wildlife though.

Nature sure is fun.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:29 AM

Just noticed, you don't have any squirrel barriers on your feeders.  Must be nice.  Squirrels and field mice will empty my feeders in a day if I didn't block them.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

22° ice rink this morning. A lot of folks are out playing bumper cars............ah. winter

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

Just noticed, you don't have any squirrel barriers on your feeders.  Must be nice.  Squirrels and field mice will empty my feeders in a day if I didn't block them.

I have very active and frisky squirrels in my yard (see images below). But though they freely jump from tree to tree or tree to my roof and back, they are very reluctant to take the leap of faith from a branch to the feeders.  They seem to know that there's nothing rough or soft for their claws to cling to. 

I have my seed feeders hanging from long wires -- longer than even big western gray squirrels can reach.  So they spend most of their time foraging in the duff below the feeders for all the seed that sloppy or picky birds knock down.

One time I saw an innovative bold explorer of a gray squirrel lower himself down the wire from the branch above...but,thankfully, that behavior has not caught on -- yet.

Gray-Squirrels-4443-2.jpg   Gray-Squirrels-4459-2.jpg

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

. . .

I have my seed feeders hanging from long wires -- longer than even big western gray squirrels can reach . . .

Maybe I should try wire.  I currently use parachord and the little buggers will just repel down and climb back up it.  I have to put 2 liter soda bottles inline to keep them away.

My other problem is crows: they can also empty a bird feeder in no time.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#16 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Maybe I should try wire.  ...

I have one feeder hanging from fancy stainless steel wire -- thin and strong and it's been weatherproof over many years.  The other one is very low-tech: an opened-up wire clothes hanger ...and it works, too. :P

I don't think I have field mice in my yard, but there are ground squirrels and chipmunks.  They only go up the tree trunk to drink from the waterer -- they don't try to raid the feeders.

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:30 PM

I have very active and frisky squirrels in my yard (see images below). But though they freely jump from tree to tree or tree to my roof and back, they are very reluctant to take the leap of faith from a branch to the feeders.  They seem to know that there's nothing rough or soft for their claws to cling to. 

I have my seed feeders hanging from long wires -- longer than even big western gray squirrels can reach.  So they spend most of their time foraging in the duff below the feeders for all the seed that sloppy or picky birds knock down.

One time I saw an innovative bold explorer of a gray squirrel lower himself down the wire from the branch above...but,thankfully, that behavior has not caught on -- yet.

attachicon.gifGray-Squirrels-4443-2.jpg  attachicon.gifGray-Squirrels-4459-2.jpg

OMG, those two pics, in sequence, are hilarious.  Thanks!

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:42 PM

OMG, those two pics, in sequence, are hilarious.  Thanks!

:)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:45 AM

+2....  what a story can be told from pictures...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#20 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:59 AM

I shot those photos (through my sliding glass window) this summer but didn't post them here because I thought they might be too "PG-13" for WTW.  :o   :P   :rolleyes:

But if not...then here are two more from the same series.  (they probably belong in the Wildlife Photography forum, and not the "winter" forum, but oh well...):

Gray-Squirrels-4437-2.jpg   Gray-Squirrels-4439-2.jpg

It's how squirrels pass the time when they're not eating...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users