• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

Keep in mind something important: There's a huge amount of marketing that goes into the load rating. If you buy a truck with, say, a 2,000-pound load capacity, and put a 1,500-pound camper on it, it will not drive and handle correctly. The camper will still compress the springs, affecting the balance, headlamp orientation, fuel economy, and a bunch of other things. You'll still need to augment the suspension to ensure the truck maintains the ride stance it does without the camper. 

#32 overtheborder

overtheborder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho and Southern BC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

Thank you! Do you know the cargo allowed in your truck? And have you weighed your truck loaded up? Thanks again!

The payload for my truck is 2060-lb. I've not had it weighed loaded. But JHanson is correct that it needed some suspension aids. As I said I put new shocks and Timbrens. I was surprised how much affect the shocks made.

Edited by overtheborder, 05 January 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#33 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

I had a '03 Tundra that never had any mechanical issues the whole time I owned it. However, the brakes on it were horrible with any load. The rear sagged 2-3 inches with my Hawk on it so I added helper springs which leveled it out. Because the '03 was so dependable I purchased my current '14 Tundra and added Firestone ride rite bags which I probably didn't need for the Hawk but definitely helps whenever I'm hauling a yard of road base or similar material. I live in the foothills and most of my trips involve going over the summit to Nevada and handling or power has never been an issue on mountain roads. I've owned at least 6 Chevy trucks from 1/2 to 1 ton and it seemed like mechanical breakdowns and repair shops came hand in hand with owning a (any)truck. After moving to the foothills 15 years ago and commuting 100 miles per day for 8 years I really needed dependability. Knock on wood - my '14 Tundra has only been in the shop for an airbag recall and oil changes. 

I'm not saying Tundra's are the best - everybody will have their opinions on what they prefer, especially if they've  just chunked down $50-60K I would hope that they are loving their rig. Good luck on your decision!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#34 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

The payload for my truck is 2060-lb. I've not had it weighed loaded. But JHanson is correct that it needed some suspension aids. As I said I put new shocks and Timbrens. I was surprised how much affect the shocks made.

This is super helpful, thanks.
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

#35 kgree3

kgree3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

Looking for feedback on an F150 that i am interested in. The truck wont be my daily driver, so i dont want to trade in what i drive now for new truck. i have my eye on a 2014 4x4 with fx4 package in very good shape. Milage is 68k and they are asking $27,400. For the milage, is that high $. They do not seem interested in ANY kind of negotian on the price of the truck? Thoughts????? thanks

#36 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

Milage is 68k and they are asking $27,400. For the milage, is that high $. They do not seem interested in ANY kind of negotian on the price of the truck? Thoughts????? thanks

My thoughts: unless the vehicle is in stellar shape, with more than the FX4 package (like the full XLT plus the Cargo options, bigger gas tank, etc) this seems a bit high.  Not by much, but a bit. 

For reference, check out Carvana.com, Cars.com or Autotrader.com. 

I'm still in the process of finding a truck myself, and there are a number of 2015-2017 F150 with fewer miles that are about that price, some of which still have factory warranty remaining.   

Another consideration (for better or worse): Ford began building the F150 with aluminum in ~2015 (word is the switch doesn't include all 2015s, but most are aluminum).  The good news with aluminum is that it saves ~500# per truck.  Some bad news is...it's not as tough (maybe) and there's worry about corrosion issues between the bed and hardware used to mount some campers (the eye-bolts used for FWCs for example).  Both of these seem like minor concerns, so I'm focused on the 2015-2018 range.  Folks love the 36-gallon tank, 10-speed transmission, and seem to like both the V8 and the two EcoBoost motors (there are a few non-Ecoboost 6 cylinders that I don't know much about.)  The responses above are all really helpful.  

Hope this helps! 

alex

#37 kgree3

kgree3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:19 AM

Thank you Alex!

Very helpful! Im thinking this one isn't the one. I like the idea of the lighter bed in the 2015 and beyond. Where are you seeing the 2015-2017 F150 with fewer miles that are about that price, some of which still have factory warranty remaining.  Are these 4x4 with the fx4 package?

Good luck with your search alex and thank you again.

karen

#38 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:04 AM

I'm looking for a 6.5' bed, 4x4 with the xlt package, in the 2015-2018 range. I'm seeing a fair number via cars.com and autotrader.com. If you can get away with the 5.5' bed, there are even more. I should say this as well: the actual prices might nudge closer to $30k, but with lower miles and better features than the 2014 you mentioned. The fx4 package isn't super common, but the xlt package has some of what the fx4 has, such as the locking rear differential. Many folks on here have upgraded shocks and added leaf springs, and that might be a better route than the fx4 options. Also note that the allowable cargo ratings vary greatly with these trucks. As others have mentioned, the longer trucks (supercrew with 6.5' bed) might be best for higher cargo numbers, if that's a concern for you. Good luck searching!

#39 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:18 AM

To echo what everyone else said...get the F150.

I just sold my 2017 Tacoma with 52,000 miles and bought a new 2018 Ford XL Regular Cab 8 Foot Bed and 4x4 with the 3.3 motor for $26k.

On the drive down to pick up my Grandby I was getting 23-24mpg, and I’m getting 17-18 now with the camper on it (better than an unloaded Tundra!) and I couldn’t be happier.

I would have loved to get another Toyota but the Tundra is such a turd it doesn’t make any sense. More expensive than an F150, less payload, older, substantially worse MPG, less customization from factory, etc.

Danneskjold,

I've been wanting to hear from someone who went for the base F150 XL with the 3.3L motor and a Grandby.  I posted a topic on this but most replies were that I needed more truck, bigger engines.  You seem to be the only person on this forum I can find with this rig.  So, hows it working out?  Do you feel you need more truck, more power?  Mountains and hills? Hows the payload matching?  I'd feel better if I could spend less on the truck and the prices for the XL 3.3s are attractive and the brochure payloads seem adequate.  I want to hear from someone who has done this.  I hope you get this post. 

#40 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:11 AM

These F-150 posts have been robust and informative. I have one season with our 2017 F-150 standard cab/3.5/10 speed, optional locking 3.55 differential. Payload 2150 with Helwig bags and BFG/E tires. Custom ordered truck with tow package and 36 gal tank. Grandby dry 1500 lbs. Handling, acceleration, braking excellent. MPH 14-15 keeping at or slightly below highway speed limits. I purchased for Midwest fishing trips and camping. Trips towing a 3500 lb Ranger with the Grandby no problem plenty of truck. One trip to the Ozarks with hills and curves again no problem driving the combo. MPH towing the combo 10.3-10.7. As far as the 3.3 base XL with a lite Grandby with bags and E tires you should be fine. The ideal F-150 would include the HDP package. That will be my next truck down the line. 
63-DDCDAB-8-BA9-4-A8-C-B953-910-EC3448-F

4-A2-FEAAB-497-E-4107-920-F-CB79-A4-A1-F

38-E093-CD-C7-B4-4-FAB-A198-1-E5-E784406

Lots of different opinions on the right truck for lite weight campers. With the low profile of a FWC the F-150 is a sweet match. Pick a truck/camper combo that fits your needs and don’t look back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users