#31 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:57 AM

And with that, I feel my level of function has increased exponentially. My kids can put their feet on the floor again as I move the "aisle pile" to my new locked storage bins. Recover gear and other dirty bits are no longer in the truck OR in the camper. Not sure yet where I'll put the diesel heater or ARB Compressor, but with infinite mount points, the possibilities are endless! The entire thing can be stripped down or put together in about 5 minutes. I can access my turnbuckles without having to be a contortionist. 

I was truly impressed with the team at the SherpTek shop - fully dedicated to quality and genuinely excited about the build. It was really fun to work with them throughout the process.

Will have the family out at the FWC NorCal rally, MULE Open House, NWOR, or BCOR - come say hi and grab a beer! Would love to hear about your ideas and see your build.

00000IMG 00000 BURST20190512081947554 COVER
IMG 20190512 062855
IMG 20190511 223845
00000IMG 00000 BURST20190512082124117 COVER
IMG 20190512 070308
IMG 20190511 225654

Edited by thatsatechnique, 15 May 2019 - 03:58 AM.

-CHRIS

Instagram: @thatsatechnique

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

2014 FWC Hawk

#32 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:06 AM

I'm in Texas... I wonder how long they would need my truck and camper? It's an F250 with Hawk. I wonder if they can design and I just show for an install?

I can't say for sure, but they definitely have the Hawk dimensions down pat - we might have measured 100 times, haha.  The biggest trouble was the difference between Chevy CAD measurements and reality.  I bet if you work with them and are willing to take some measurements, it could happen!  Definitely worth reaching out and checking.

Worst case, it's a nice trip and not a bad place to hang out for a few days (but understandably a long drive).  The neighborhood they are in is really fun and super accessible.  Would love to see another FWC on one of these beds :)  Tell them you saw my Hawk and see what they can do - only difference should be the truck and your particular options for flank sides, boxes, etc. 

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#33 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

Wow that turned out nice !

Edited by klahanie, 16 May 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#34 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

I agree!
Beautiful and functional.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#35 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

Amazingly done and exactly what I hope to convert mine too next year! 

Excellent design and work!

Ballpark estimate, if you don't mind posting?

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#36 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Hoping to catch up with them at Overland Expo on Saturday!  That looks amazing and is what I'd like to have for my Tundra.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#37 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

I built something similar for my silverado and grandby a few years ago. When I was looking, SherpTek didn't really exist yet so just buckled down and made my own.

It's been an excellent solution, especially with the regular cab, for gear storage. I've found that the open sides aren't an issue, that area gets stuff I would have just chucked in the back of the truck anyway.. hi-lift, winch, camp chairs, firewood, wet snorkel gear, etc.

DSC00916.jpg
DSC01460.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#38 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

I built something similar for my silverado and grandby a few years ago. When I was looking, SherpTek didn't really exist yet so just buckled down and made my own.

It's been an excellent solution, especially with the regular cab, for gear storage. I've found that the open sides aren't an issue, that area gets stuff I would have just chucked in the back of the truck anyway.. hi-lift, winch, camp chairs, firewood, wet snorkel gear, etc.

Wow, nice work!  I agree - I think the sides being unsealed is a non-issue.  Nothing is going in there that is super sensitive or isn't otherwise packaged anyway, so I'm with you on that one.  Great looking setup :)

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#39 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

Amazingly done and exactly what I hope to convert mine too next year! 

Excellent design and work!

Ballpark estimate, if you don't mind posting?

I don't mind, but everything is based on bed size and options desired so take it with a grain of salt.  The bed itself is comparable to any off-the-shelf, common option you see these days...but it's obviously not an off-the-shelf product.  My base price for the bed (lights, cab guard, fuel box, etc.) was $6,400.  Of course, everything after that was customized - the decking, wheel wells, trims, add flank sides, add boxes, etc.  If you want something more specific, PM me and I'm sure I can get you close. 

My final price was a good bit more than that, but that was my own doing ;)  Like a kid in a candy store, haha.  I'm super impressed with the final result - the attention to detail and craftsmanship is 2nd to none.  

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#40 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

Thank you very much Chris, that is a bit less than I was expecting honestly.

This is freaking awesome, and I will likely being going the same route within a year or so!

Cheers!

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flatbed, fwc, build, custom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users