• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

From my understanding, the ecoboost is a beast for towing and hauling but MPG's suck under load. 

I have a 14 SC 6.5 bed with 5.0 motor and its amazing.. With camper on still gets 16-18 mpg.. its for sale by the way.. 66k and cheaper than the above mentioned f150

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#52 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:11 AM

IMO I'd spend $5k to $8k more and get a 3/4 ton with a diesel that will have way more power and provide better mileage when under load.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#53 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

IMO I'd spend $5k to $8k more and get a 3/4 ton with a diesel that will have way more power and provide better mileage when under load.

Some argue that one can buy a lot of fuel with $8000 .... but yea, performance and safety sometimes overules the need to save money.

I love my Duramax 3500. 

#54 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:56 PM

Just my .02. I have a 1st gen 2005 tundra. It works. Sure I am probably over GVWR but don't care. It stops 100x better than my Landcruiser, accelerates 1000x better and is 10000x more comfortable. I have airbags, and Alcan springs setup for the weight.

The folks here can offer some valuable advice, but also some advice that can prevent you from just following common sense.

#55 wandern

wandern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:08 AM

A half ton will carry a Hawk or Grandby just fine (although Ford and Chevrolet generally have much higher payload capacities than Toyota), but a 3/4 or 1 ton will carry the camper like it isn't even there.  The difference in brakes alone really must be experienced to be understood.  If carrying the camper is an occasional thing, and the truck is going to be a daily driver and grocery getter, a Silverado 1500 or F150 would be fine- and you get great gas mileage (22-25mpg depending on whether you have 2wd or 4wd) when the camper isn't loaded (Tundras get gas mileage as bad a gas HD truck).  If you're going to be carrying the camper regularly or using the truck for other heavy payload hauling / towing tasks, save yourself the trouble and expense of buying two trucks, and get the HD truck off the bat.  Note that Ram 3/4 ton trucks have coil springs and lower payload than Chevy/GMC/Ford (which in single rear wheel configuration are basically identical to their 1 ton bretheren except for overload leaf springs).

#56 captaindorky

captaindorky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:32 AM

I'm lurking around and feel inclined to post.

I was at the Overland Expo last weekend in Flagstaff.  This is the second year in a row my wife and I have attended and we are getting VERY close to kissing our corporate jobs good bye and living in a FWC full time (with 2 cats).

The vehicle conversation seems to be endless.  We have looked at the Hawk as being what we are looking for in a camper.  That being said, understanding the right tray and truck can be a little difficult.  General consensus seems to be Norweld for the tray?

As for the truck - it sure sounds like the lines have blurred between gas and diesel along with payload capacity.  I am looking at a full ton truck.  Ram 3500 Diesel or a Ford F-350 Gasser.  I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons, but I keep leaning towards the Ford.  I don't plan on doing any crazy offroad stuff but we want to get away from it all and have the capability to do so. 

One last question - in general there seems to be avoidance to a longbed and a camper.  What am I missing here?  General maneuverability?

Appreciate all input.  This site is excellent!

CD

#57 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

^ Welcome aboard CD !

I don't plan on doing any crazy offroad stuff but we want to get away from it all and have the capability to do so.

One last question - in general there seems to be avoidance to a longbed and a camper.  What am I missing here?  General maneuverability?

Long bed, short bed is another Betty / Veronica question, but one with more difference than hair colour ^_^

We have a supercab with the equivalent of a 9' box. Call it the length of a CCLB. So I'm missing it too (missing out too ?)... Biggest thing is the worry of turning it around. "crazy offroad" is off the table anyway. Smaller will fit in more places, for sure. Whether you'd go to those places, I couldn't say, everyone's situation and experience is a bit different.

Here's one thread, more or less, about the subject.

http://www.wanderthe...th-constraints/

Edited by klahanie, 24 May 2019 - 05:31 AM.

#58 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

I'm lurking around and feel inclined to post.

I was at the Overland Expo last weekend in Flagstaff.  This is the second year in a row my wife and I have attended and we are getting VERY close to kissing our corporate jobs good bye and living in a FWC full time (with 2 cats).

The vehicle conversation seems to be endless.  We have looked at the Hawk as being what we are looking for in a camper.  That being said, understanding the right tray and truck can be a little difficult.  General consensus seems to be Norweld for the tray?

As for the truck - it sure sounds like the lines have blurred between gas and diesel along with payload capacity.  I am looking at a full ton truck.  Ram 3500 Diesel or a Ford F-350 Gasser.  I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons, but I keep leaning towards the Ford.  I don't plan on doing any crazy offroad stuff but we want to get away from it all and have the capability to do so. 

Appreciate all input.  This site is excellent!

CD

Congratulations on your decision to get out of the corporate rat race!
I am officially retiring today!!!

As far as the discussion of short bed vs. long bed is concerned I think it boils down to a couple of points:

1. The length of your camper- I personally believe that the floor of the camper should be fully supported although some people don’t share this concern, so a Hawk should be on a short bed and a Grandby on a long bed... I have a Hallmark Everest (8.5’) and it’s on a long bed.

2. Maneuverability. The longer the wheel base the more difficulty you’ll potential have on tight turns off-road.

3. Everyday driving. Once again a short bed truck will be easier to get around town, everything else being equal. For me it’s not a big deal as I don’t ever intend to drive into downtown LA or NYC with it.

Good luck in your research!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#59 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:50 AM

I started out looking for a 6BT powered ClubCab short-bed 4WD, preferably with a manual trans. Those are Unicorns. What I found in good condition, in our price range, was a long bed with an Auto. I don't regret the extra length. I have other vehicles for the tight trails & routes. Although I did take this truck w/ the old 6.5' camper to the Funnel Lake (Coyote Flats) over-look and very probably should not have.

We are very anti-move stuff around. We want to put something in the truck or camper and not have to move it to do other things. We don't pack light, but we don't pack heavy either. If something in the truck isn't getting used it gets jettisoned. No point in carrying it unless an emergency aid type of object. That takes some space to store those things. Shoes are the worst, figure out where they're going to live in the camper where you're not walking on them. What drove us to this 9.5' camper is the need for an indoor toilet & shower. The toilet we do with the PETT WagBags, neither of us want to deal with a black water tank or a cassette.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#60 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

My former truck, a ‘96 Dodge 1500 Club Cab shortbed was very maneuverable. It’s turning radius on a 139” wheelbase was amazing. My current truck is an ‘02 Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab (same as club) longbed and it’s nowhere near as nimble with its 157” wheelbase. But I really like having the long box and like others have remarked, I’ve given up any notion of rockcrawling. I’m still using a canopy for camping but some sort of camper is definitely in my future. The comfort and storage factors have really become more important to me. If I want to keep up with the “crazy crew” I’ll find something more appropriate. But I tend to be more carnage avoidance in my old age.

Edit: I believe that a “crew cab longbed (6’)” Tacoma has a similar wheelbase to my old Dodge full-size. I’d give up the overall size penalty for the additional bed space any day. YMMV

2nd edit: Re-read the original post. OP mentioned a Tundra, not a Tacoma. I guess I should put down the coffee and pick up the reading glasses.

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 25 May 2019 - 04:38 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: payload, truck choice, dependability, advice for new truck owners, vehicle choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users