#1 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

My general design criteria is light, low and minimal roof penetrations. The main concern of direct mount solar panels is heat. These panels are used in large roof top installs. Made in Southwest, sold to me by Continuous Resources in Utah. Great company. 

There is a single roof penetration. 

Attached Files

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Howdy

So, did you bed them in an adhesive?

What did the retailer suggest?

Thanks

David Graves

#3 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

They come with mastic. just peel the backing and lay them down. They are long so you have to measure carefully. They may not be trimmed at all since the vapor barrier might be cut. 

Attached Files

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#4 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

My 120W flex Solar cynergy panels (2) are mounted to an aluminum tube frame which is mounted to my Yakima tracks.
Frame weighs ~5 lbs. Panels are ~5 lbs. There is good air flow underneath panels. Heat has been a major concern as u mentioned. What is different about these panels, re heat? What do they weigh? Are these 12V? How secure is the mastic in travel w/wind & how do you remove them if needed?
I am good with my setup, hopefully for awhile, but these look very interesting for my son’s vintage Ambassador travel trailer.

Edited by Stokeme, 09 January 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

you can get the data sheet from Global or Continuous, I have it but its too big to post..... :(

They are 25 year warrantied, and operating range is up to 185f i believe. I spoke with Global before purchase and they told me that my application was perfect. 

The mastic is really strong. There is no sign of any separation. If there is I will sikaflex or something. If they fail the fix is to put another right on top per Global. since they are less that 1/8" thick I am not too worried about it. 

They are 12v.

maybe 3-4 lbs a piece est.

BTW I saw your setup and I liked it, just liked this better!!

Edited by Yubaman, 09 January 2019 - 08:16 PM.

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Interesting product line.  Looks reputable!  https://www.continuousresources.com/

Just to add to the conversation, the noted max temp is 185*F.  Nominal is 70*F.  Temp coefficient power loss is -.36% per *F.  So at 185*F you will suffer a 41.4% reduction in power output.  

Does it matter?  Probably not; however, I would still want to keep my panels as cool as possible.

#7 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

It shouldn't matter to me. I have 220ah of batteries and fairly light loads. I will report back on summer performance. 

Thanks for the link Vic. Matt at CR is great to work with. He made a little kit for me including a Victron 15a MPPT, and custom cables. Pricing is fine.

I also bought the Crown1 AGM 6vx2 batteries from him.  

Edited by Yubaman, 09 January 2019 - 10:17 PM.

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#8 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:32 AM

Wow, a 25 year warranty would inspire confidence & ~185F does seems adequate. Proprietary heat barrier? I will have to check these out.
Were you at the FWC Anza Borrego Rally in October? Did we chat?

#9 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:47 AM

i have fastened lightweight panels to the roof without airspace underneath and they failed. They were covered under warranty but what a mess to get them off. The potential problem is that that when your panels are in direct sunlight in the summer they are going to get very hot,,,very interested to hear how it works out!.

#10 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Wow, a 25 year warranty would inspire confidence & ~185F does seems adequate. Proprietary heat barrier? I will have to check these out.
Were you at the FWC Anza Borrego Rally in October? Did we chat?

Nope, wasn't me, I am new to FWC's

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flexible solar panels, solar, solar panels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users