• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#11 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

... and IDK what the attachment points are like on the fails. Does FWC still use eyenuts on the camper ? or maybe now a fabricated loop (I think I've seen posted).

It's so often the case, in choosing not to provide many details - perhaps in the interest of brevity ? - the poster limits the usefulness of the report beyond the shock value of a pic.

#12 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

The OP (DavidGraves) asked me to post this pic of "a forged clevis style turnbuckle".

clevis style forged TB.jpg

I'll leave comment to him ...

#13 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Klahanie....

for posting the image of the forged, clevis style turnbuckles with lock nut that we use.

I think these came from Tractor Supply but can be found elsewhere.

They are the correct length to work with our Hawk in two different trucks.

The clevis style allows a thru bolt w/ lock nut  to secure to attachment eye bolts on truck and camper.

I tighten all four sequentially and equally and then lock the nut on the threaded portion....I added the lock nuts.

They can be checked visually and  a tap with any tool on the body of the turnbuckle gives you an idea of tension.

They are heavily galvanized.

The truck attachment point is a separate topic.

David Graves

#14 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

We have had our camper on full time for 1 year now, and appx. 20K km of travel. That includes a 6500+KM trek up to Tuk and back, along with multiple off-road (as in 4-Lo uphill-overhill-downhill rough terrain type stuff) and have not had any turnbuckle related issues at all. About a month after getting the camper home, I checked the turnbuckles and one was a little less-tight than the other,s probably just from settling in. I added a jam nut to each turnbuckle and since then they have remained totally tight. I check them on regular basis (this past weekend actually) and they are as snug as the day I installed the jam nuts.

#15 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Are the turnbuckles less strong if the hook/eye bolt are more extended?

I'm using SS turnbuckles that are almost all the way extended.

#16 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

We have had our camper on full time for 1 year now, and appx. 20K km of travel. That includes a 6500+KM trek up to Tuk and back, along with multiple off-road (as in 4-Lo uphill-overhill-downhill rough terrain type stuff) and have not had any turnbuckle related issues at all. About a month after getting the camper home, I checked the turnbuckles and one was a little less-tight than the other,s probably just from settling in. I added a jam nut to each turnbuckle and since then they have remained totally tight. I check them on regular basis (this past weekend actually) and they are as snug as the day I installed the jam nuts.

I have had the same experience as you. My Granby was installed and only taken off twice for a few weeks. Since then  after 25,000 miles knock on wood only a tiny bit loose on one after Big Bend and after some Colorado BLM excursions here otherwise even though I check at least once a week they are always tight.

I do however like your additional nut idea as a 2nd safety.

Also at this point I never take the camper off and I wonder if there is a more permenant bolting possible right to my frame through the bed eliminating the eyebolt and  threaded turnbuckle altogether.

Edited by patrkbukly, 21 January 2019 - 11:23 PM.

#17 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

I bolted my Eagle shell thru the floor of my 2009 Ford Ranger, it has been on for almost 3 years. It is my everyday driver, we are full time RVers and tow the ranger/Eagle combo behind our motorhome plus its been on numerous 4WD trips into places like Big Bend Ranch State Park. It hasn't moved a bit.

I will say after reading about the one that fell off, I'm thinking about adding a set of safety chains.

I had purchased it used, so I called FWC and they told me exactly how to mount the camper.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#18 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

I had this issue big time.  I checked them often offroad and it was like clockwork 2 were ALWAYS loose, usually 2 different ones,

I upgraded to some heavy duty forged units and added some jam nuts in between the hook and the center of the turnbuckle.

Not a single issue wince with 1000s of miles offroad and most of Moab.

Highly suggest upgrading to beefier turnbuckles and using jam nuts and enjoying the piece of mind.

my .02

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 22 January 2019 - 08:58 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#19 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:30 AM

As a long-time fan and two-time owner of FWC campers, I think their standard turnbuckle securing system is the worst feature of the company. They use hardware-store turnbuckles that were never meant for the kind of stresses to which the camper can be subjected. I replaced ours with forged steel versions after the incident recounted here.

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

Is this galvanized forged steel 5/6" turnbuckle that we are looking for? 

https://www.mcmaster...eel-turnbuckles

J, was wondering, as I read your incident report, I went to the link for the turnbuckle and it listed it as having a clevis pin on one end and a closed loop at the other. How do you attach this to the eye bolts?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Turnbuckles, open ended, aluminum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users