#1 robcocquyt

robcocquyt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

Hi All,

Not sure if this should be in a new topic, but I thought I would post here in the meantime.   I bought a Hawk Shell last year and made some mods and am quite happy with the result.

What I have done:

-Removed all extra panels and carpet coverings.  I think I pulled out about 100 pounds of panels I didn't need.  i re-used some of them for trimming out my mods.

-Pulled stove forward about 8" to make it flush with the front of the propane storage compartment.   This gave me extra space in the battery cupboard and also added a handy nook behind the stove.   Most importantly, it made cooking on the stove more comfortable since the propane cupboard made me have to reach forward too much.

-I  built 6 full extension drawers.  The big ones are 20" deep.  The one under the sink is about 6", and the two near the bed are about 14" deep.  I much prefer drawers to cupboards.  I used 1/2" baltic birch ply to keep the weight down while still keeping them strong.

-i shortened the 4 compartment storage thingy and moved it from the couch side (where it was always in the way of my head) to just above the counter, where it is super handy.

-i cut about 2" off the front camper "bumpers" to allow the camper to slide forward....surprise surprise...another 2 inches.

-I added a water tank, accumulator, sink, inverter, outdoor faucet (for filling dog bowls and water jugs) and 100W solar panel.   I added a couch "platform" and will be adding a 14 degree back and two more cushions.  I also added an ARB cooler which i absolutely LOVE.

-i removed 2 out of the three plywood cross supports under the camper to lower the overall height on my dodge ram.

IMG-8590.JPG IMG-8589.JPG IMG-8591.JPG IMG-8592.JPG

Edited by robcocquyt, 06 February 2019 - 01:55 AM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

I'd pull your Jack's off. It will save about 80 lbs. but more importantly lessen the chance for damage to the camper. Someone backs into the rear Jack and pretty much guarantee damage to the camper frame.
Nice job on the mods. Also want to be careful with your water spigot getting hung up on branches if you do off roading.

Edited by longhorn1, 05 February 2019 - 11:24 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:47 AM

You did a really nice job on the interior.  Very interesting ideas.

#4 robcocquyt

robcocquyt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

I'd love to, but we often park (lift off) our camper and lower it to near the ground (supported) when we are in one spot for more than 3-4 days so we can zip around unburdened.  Our most aggressive off-roading (where I would be more worried about the legs) in usually without the camper.

I'd pull your Jack's off. It will save about 80 lbs. but more importantly lessen the chance for damage to the camper. Someone backs into the rear Jack and pretty much guarantee damage to the camper frame.
Nice job on the mods. Also want to be careful with your water spigot getting hung up on branches if you do off roading.

#5 robcocquyt

robcocquyt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:08 AM

Thanks.   It evolves on every trip.  I usually bring a screw gun and cordless saw for inspired moments!

You did a really nice job on the interior.  Very interesting ideas.

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:25 AM

I'd love to, but we often park (lift off) our camper and lower it to near the ground (supported) when we are in one spot for more than 3-4 days so we can zip around unburdened. Our most aggressive off-roading (where I would be more worried about the legs) in usually without the camper.

We drop the top and spend most of the days sightseeing with the camper in the truck. Never would I consider pulling the camper off, but that's me. We've been to some pretty rough places. Lifting a loaded camper off the truck is running on the edge. The bottom tub is stapled to the aluminum frame. We travel wash board roads, switch backs, and narrow bumpy shelf roads. Be careful. jd

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

There was a post on removing a loaded camper and using it off the truck. FWC advised against it. The bottom needs to be fully support. The biggest issue is lifting the heavy camper off the bed. As stated previously the wood tub is stapled to the frame. Ask yourself this question: What will I do if the bottom falls out on a trip? How will I get everything back in the truck bed? Each his own, but doing this has risks and probably isn't done or considered by the majority of FWC Owners.

Edited by longhorn1, 06 February 2019 - 01:19 PM.

#8 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

That is fantastic.  I cut my bumpers down as well. The camper looks more like it should with it shifted forward in the Tundra.

#9 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

Very well done.  I might have to consider doing something similar to my 2016 Hawk Shell.  I do love projects.  I have the side dinette in mine and don't like it a bit.  I usually leave it folded down in the bed position to use as a couch.

Where is your water pump?  Is that the water tank to the right of the ARB cooler?

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#10 robcocquyt

robcocquyt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Very well done.  I might have to consider doing something similar to my 2016 Hawk Shell.  I do love projects.  I have the side dinette in mine and don't like it a bit.  I usually leave it folded down in the bed position to use as a couch.

Where is your water pump?  Is that the water tank to the right of the ARB cooler?

Thanks, the water tank is just to the right of the ARB cooler.  The pump and the accumulator are under the cabinets.  I actually had to cut a hole in the bottom of one of the cabinets to just squeak the pump in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, mod, shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users