• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:29 AM

So has any one got experience with emergency tire repair.  Two years ago I came across 6 co-eds in an Honda pick-up with 3 flat tires on the road to White Mountain in CA.  Then last year a guy was asking to buy anyone's spare tire that would fit in Big Bend NP.   I have a nice 50psi 12V compressor that works good.  And thinking of a plug tire repair kit.  I have 10 ply E rated tires that seem bullit proof.  Any experience or ideas?

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:57 AM

Hi carld
Here are two items that are quality products. If you are trying to seat a tire a separate tank would be needed, to provide the needed volume of air. I have this compressor and tried to seat a motorcycle tire for someone and no luck. It has been excellent for airing up my tires from 40 psi to 75 psi. Patches are better for the tire, but who can carry a tire machine to make the repair, I would recommend using the plug on a tire before you need it if you never have used one. ( use a junk tire :) ) also two jacks can be useful one under the frame then the second to raise the tire that way you don't have to raise the vehicle so high or deal with the wheel stuffed up in the wheel well. A 100% duty cycle is important in my opinion for an air compressor. Hope this helps.

Russ

https://www.amazon.c...la-571637933708

https://www.viaircor...ables/450p-auto

Edited by CougarCouple, 19 February 2019 - 03:59 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:26 AM

The kit is exactly what I was looking at.  The compressor is similar to the one I have.  Above 40 psi it get really hot, add some wet cloths on it . But 30 to 40 psi is good enought to go.  Saw a youtub viedo using a similar kit, you know if you are stuck and looking a a 100 mile towing survice plus the delay, I think I can give it a few tries, as long as I have the small compressor to do the rest. 

Edited by carld, 19 February 2019 - 04:27 AM.

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#4 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Back when I used to four wheel as a hobby, I often plugged tires.  I honestly lost count of how many times I needed to do so in order to get my vehicle back to my tow rig.  Once I drove a good portion of the Rubicon trail with a sidewall plugged with 13 plugs.

As far as street use, the rules of only using plugs in the tread area apply.  I've plugged tires in the approved area that have lasted without leaks for many months of daily use.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

What I carry:

A modified MV-50 12V compressor.

Tire plug kit (plugs, reamer, setting tool, glue).

The biggest tire patch I could find.

Appropriately sized inner tube.

Valve stem removal tool.

Extra valve stems!

Bottle jack for breaking the bead.

Two tire irons (large blade screwdrivers will work but you have to be careful).

A small jug of 'Slime'.

Plan on an all day job if you have to break the bead and fix the sidewall.  It takes a looooong time to reset the bead with the MV-50.

And practice in your driveway.  Way back beyond is no place to determine the tools you have won't do the job.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

I have a nice 50psi 12V compressor that works good. ..  I have 10 ply E rated tires that seem bullit proof.

But 30 to 40 psi is good enought to go.

Could you tell us what psi you are running your E tires at ?

Even "E"s can be punctured so a plug kit like linked is good to have, even for town. One tip - it can be easier to drive the awl and plug in if the tire is inflated. So for your home test, I suggest you deflate a tire, air it up some, plug it, then air up to normal pressure. I'd want to be sure the compressor was up to that.

EDIT and I'd add a few extra valve caps to the kit (keep from your old tires or take from your neighbour's car)

Edited by klahanie, 19 February 2019 - 07:05 PM.

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:00 PM

If the plug kit doesn't include patches and glue, get some, add them and add additional plugs. I always apply the glue even if the plugs are coated, just for extra insurance and it also helps lube the plug for easier install.

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

JaSAn how do you break the bead with a bottle jack?

Thanks Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:55 AM

I've been watching lots of Ronnie Dahl videos recently (Four Wheeling, Western Australia). They are well worth watching in my opinion. He has one on basic tire repair:

When I was at the NWOR last year there was a hands on tire repair clinic that was excellent. They covered everything from basic plugs, like in the video, to emergency side wall repairs to removing and reinstalling a tire in the field. I immediately went and bought a better quality kit after the workshop :)

#10 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:26 AM

I carry a good plug kit, some patches and a "Baja" patch which is an extra large patch. I also carry a straight and curved tires iron. You haven't lived until you have dis-mounted a tire with a couple of tire irons! I have broken the beads by lowering the drum/disc of the edge of the tire. You can re-seat the beads once repaired with staring fluid or a big ratchet strap around the tire. No a 5 minute job. Plan on a 1/2 day adventure.

CWDT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flat tire, emergency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users