• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:50 AM

Thankx to all for the info!

Damn. Even solar plug-n-play isn't as easy as screwing in a lightbulb. But I'm trying to get it as close as possible. I've contacted FWCJH asking if I should also provide plywood mount and quick connects for Victron stuff I've ordered, and what size if they don't. 

cken323: the info you passed on in "General" from the Victron manual is impossible, but thankx for sharing:

General 

● Mount vertically on a non-flammable substrate, with the power terminals facing downwards. Observe a minimum clearance of 10 cm under and above the product for optimal cooling. FWC can't do this in our cramped quarters, and I don't blame'em.

● Mount close to the battery, but never directly above the battery (in order to prevent damage due to  gassing of the battery.

But I'm used to impractical lawyer-ese. Hell, even FWC doesn't comply.

BBQ when any of  you visit Jackson Hole!

UPDATE: Denny of Jackson Hole FWC mounted the controller where the solar leads from roof and back wall came out. On my side dinette Fleet, it was in the cabinet by the sink. Other stuff wedged nicely just outside the chock full battery compartment, yet undercover. Those 2 new 6 volt gell batteries very, very tightly fill the battery compartment.

Edited by MountainSufi, 23 May 2019 - 12:50 AM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#12 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

Took a nice vacation down to Valley of the Gods, UT. Victron bluetooth guidance all the way. 160 watt panel & two 6 volt gel batteries. Running a CPAP @ night, sometimes with heater fan & 2 way fridge, I never got below 94% capacity in the morning. I have room for another 160 watt panel on top, but doubt I'll need it.

I love Victron bluetooth, & love Vic H. for recommending expensivo Victron, and love myself for for taking Vic's costlier advice.

You WANT Victron bluetooth. I suppose I should learn intricacies of power draws, amp hours, etc. But I don't seem to need it; simply reading the % power left gives me confidence and "currently" all I need.

Sweet warm dreams in our FWC's

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

Appreciate this thread as I just tore out my 2 AGM batteries and will replace with Rando's LiFePo4 battery. It's ready and I have been playing with the portable panel and the Victron 100 / 20 (bluetooth). For an electrical novice it has been a real learning exoerience and the iPhone Victron App is great for seeing what is happening. My Battery box is the standard Eagle 2011 size and the second was in a separate battery box (which will now be storage space) .

I too was concerned about placement. I have the same Blue Sea battery separator,  1 Victron controller, a shunt, and a terminal block. Getting the tight placement is tricky in a limited place. Just how bad is it to mount the controller (with lots of room around it) but horizontally? That is the only way I can get it in the box! 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:21 AM

Appreciate this thread as I just tore out my 2 AGM batteries and will replace with Rando's LiFePo4 battery. It's ready and I have been playing with the portable panel and the Victron 100 / 20 (bluetooth). For an electrical novice it has been a real learning exoerience and the iPhone Victron App is great for seeing what is happening. My Battery box is the standard Eagle 2011 size and the second was in a separate battery box (which will now be storage space) .

I too was concerned about placement. I have the same Blue Sea battery separator,  1 Victron controller, a shunt, and a terminal block. Getting the tight placement is tricky in a limited place. Just how bad is it to mount the controller (with lots of room around it) but horizontally? That is the only way I can get it in the box! 

Horizontal "should" be fine, but what does the manufacturer say about that?

#15 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

All they say is mount vertically... must be so the heat fins in back radiate upwards. I will try another spot to see if it will fit that way.

Henry David Thoreau

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Came up with a slide in mount for the battery box vertical mounting of the Victron. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8038.jpeg

Henry David Thoreau

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:32 AM

Nicely done.

#18 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

Took a nice vacation down to Valley of the Gods, UT. Victron bluetooth guidance all the way. 160 watt panel & two 6 volt gel batteries. Running a CPAP @ night, sometimes with heater fan & 2 way fridge, I never got below 94% capacity in the morning. I have room for another 160 watt panel on top, but doubt I'll need it.

I love Victron bluetooth, & love Vic H. for recommending expensivo Victron, and love myself for for taking Vic's costlier advice.

You WANT Victron bluetooth. I suppose I should learn intricacies of power draws, amp hours, etc. But I don't seem to need it; simply reading the % power left gives me confidence and "currently" all I need.

Sweet warm dreams in our FWC's

Speaking of % power used, at what point and using what metric do you decide to stop using the battery to prevent damage? I have the same setup, 160w panel, overland charge controller, victron solar and battery monitor and two 6 volt batteries that have about 223 amp hours each... for a total combines amp hours of 223.

So do you use the battery until 1/2 amp hours are used, voltage less than 12.2 or something like that?

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:40 PM

Speaking of % power used, at what point and using what metric do you decide to stop using the battery to prevent damage? I have the same setup, 160w panel, overland charge controller, victron solar and battery monitor and two 6 volt batteries that have about 223 amp hours each... for a total combines amp hours of 223.

So do you use the battery until 1/2 amp hours are used, voltage less than 12.2 or something like that?

Have you seen the graphs indicating expected battery cycles (charge-discharge-charge) and depth of discharge?  Basically, the less deep you go, the longer they live (this is true for FLA and AGM lead-acid batteries).

I aim for 60% as my "bottom" with my 250AH battery bank.  Have only hit that three times in 3 years, and only because I wanted to (testing).  At this rate, my batteries will last over 1000 cycles, so another 1000 years.   B)

Voltage isn't helpful as so much depends on the draw at the time.  AH used is a better measure by far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Victron, Solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users