• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

After a lengthy research, we have decided to go over to the "hard side" and chose the Provan Tiger Bengal Camper.  Provan is the company name and is based in South Carolina.  Tiger is the line of campers.  Bengal is the camper model we ordered and is currently the only camper model available.

Why?  We want hard sides and a black tank with a bathroom. 

Why?  At the end of a mountain road in the Pioneer Mountains of Montana at a NF campground, a trailer arrived in the dark at 9pm and occupied a site near us.  They started their generator immediately after arriving.  At 9:30pm, they repeatedly tested their chain saw at full throttle but did not cut any wood.  When we asked them to turn off their generator at 10:15pm they said "no".  We can tell many more stories such as this one.  

Vault toilets are ok for us and we have used them in excess of 40 consecutive days but we are not going to start digging "cat holes" for trips reaching 75 days.  

Besides rude campers, hard sides will help when we encounter a lot of cold weather in our most valued trip, "The Fall Trip", which covers a lot of western country.   The Granby furnace and fabric walls handle cold reasonable well but we find ourselves moving south too frequently because enduring cold takes a lot of effort.  

What other choices did we consider?

Our first and only camper alternate to the Bengal Camper was a "clam shell" fiber glass truck camper from either Bigfoot or Northern Lite.  These are serious all-weather campers. 

Why not? 

We put in a lot of work figuring out how to "hold down" our less than 2000 pound loaded-and-wet truck camper and were not interested in making the effort for a 4000+ pound truck camper.  The truck camper industry is seriously negligent with almost all camper hold down systems (I have done the research).  Also, both Iowa and Minnesota require a truck camper over 10,000 pounds total weight to stop at weigh stations but not RV's with RV registration.  

Why Provan Tiger Bengal camper?

-  RV registration.

-  Camper is attached to the truck.

-  Two beds like our Granby, both have a couch which converts to a bed plus the over-the-cab bed.

-  Four wheel drive.

-  Has a black tank and bathroom.  

-  Hard side.

These qualities are only met by a Provan Tiger Bengal camper, no other camper.

What about the price?  

Our camper will cost less than a 4x4 Winnebago Revel which only has one bed, less storage, no black tank, and very poor window screens.  The Bengal will be more than a Granby flat bed camper but the Granby flat bed will still cost around $90,000 everything included and have a very high step-in height, no bathroom, and fabric walls.  

What about the height?

The Bengal camper will be two feet taller than our Granby or 10 feet tall.  Lets just say, we are not selling the Granby or the Ford F-150 (we love the truck).  

What about the width?

Our Granby is 83" wide to the outside of the jack brackets while the Bengal camper is 88".  The Bengal is among the narrowest campers with a black tank and less width than hard side truck campers with a black tank.

What about the Bengal camper quality?

Our Granby has the paper covered wood.  That is all that needs to be said.

How is Provan, the company, to work with?

Patience is a virtue (a very important virtue).

What options did we order on the Bengal camper?

A lot of deletes: no generator, no AC, no microwave, no TV, no radio, no antenna, no bathroom sink, no awning, no over-the-cab front windows (who wants to look at bug "splats" from the inside?).

A few additions:  large solar array, 400 watts with MPPT controller; larger battery pack, 300 amp-hour gross (but not the biggest possible which was 600 amp-hour gross); rear view camera; second power roof vent; propex 2800 furnace.

What truck did we mount the Bengal camper on?

Ford F-350 (1 ton) SRW gasoline regular cab 4x4 with base trim (hand crank windows since you never know when you will fall into a flash flood).  We gave up the extra space of an extended cab based on our very positive experience with our current regular cab long bed maneuverability. 

How will we deal with such a complex beast?

We are gaining a lot more complex camper than our current no refrig Granby and are hoping to gain a few neurons from learning new tasks instead of losing neurons from the frustration of system failures, such is called "the great adventure".

The Bengal camper will be completed in a little over two months, after our first trip of the year with our Granby.  And then commences "the great adventure".

Edited by iowahiker, 04 March 2019 - 01:00 AM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:02 PM

Congrats on your new set up and thank you for sharing your detailed thought process in making your decision. I bet you are excited! We look forward to pictures. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

That is awesome.  You have put some time into the process and thank you for sharing your findings here.

I do know what you mean about pit toilets.  Years ago I spent the night in a old stinky pit toilet with both ends opening up.  Those were hours of my life I wished I was home with the comforts of a real bathroom.  After that we bought a Casita Trailer with a nice bathroom.

But now we are back to a FWC, but it does have a cassette toilet.   

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Sounds like a great camper! Congrats!

I am haunted by waters

#5 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#6 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:16 AM

Good choice we ordered a 2012 bengal as you have, but ordered a chevy 1 ton work truck chassis.gas.

Ordering the work truck gave us manual windows, manual hubs, and most important manual transfer case,

no electrics to screw up.also ordered a large escape hatch over bed ( i think that item is standard now)

Enjoyed it while we had it but i seem to get bored fast so it went on to the next owner, sold it on the tiger owners

website.

Company was great to work with built and finished as agreed.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Les,lqhikers

#7 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

lqhikers,  We read about your camper and your camper was the starting point for our choices.  We are looking forward to doing more dispersed camping and camping near trailheads.  We have never developed a taste for the rougher roads so the sedate qualities of the Bengal should work if we can manage the taller rig.  

#8 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

Iowahiker, that was one thing we noticed with the taller rig, some narrow canyons

you had to be careful of and found quite a few trails that tree branch overhangs were a 

problem ended up carrying good sized pruning shears and hand saw!

one thing i might suggest is to ask if access to battery compartment is easy, i had to redo floor area as it was 

not easy to open compartment. even though we had sealed batt's i still wanted to be able to easily access them.

les,lqhikers

#9 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the post.  I've gone through a parallel thought process, but for a decision we'll likely make in 10 years or so.  I hope you'll stick around and provide some updates once you get a few trips in.  I know you cover a lot of ground so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the transition.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

Congratulation on your decision to purchase a Tiger. There are several of them touring the world.

When we were looking at which camper to get the Tiger was on our short list. The only reason we did not purchase one was that I already had a F-350 but need to use the truck without the camper occasionally.

There was a guy on Expo who was a retired diplomat (Diplostrat I believe) and generously allowed us to tour his rig. He has been camping literally over the entire world from Ecuador to Mongolia and points in between and he was very happy with their choice.

I’m sure you’ll have many enjoyable nights ahead. Please post pictures when you get it.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users