25 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:16 AM

Use a stout enough landing jack and you really only need one up front. Easier to level, too.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:28 AM

Looking good Harold.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#13 Harold

Harold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:07 AM

About two months ago I was looking for telescoping landing legs for the back of the trailer. I seen these on Amazon and thought they would be perfect. Knucklehead me didn't read the entire listing and when they arrived is all I can say is they are for a low deck cargo trailer. In total about two feet long. I thought about sending them back but the return postage would be about as much as I paid. So yesterday I was over at Home depot and seen that punched square tubing that fits through the weld on sleeve for the other landing gear. Going to cut the landing pads off the short ones and weld to the longer ones. In all my mistake cost me an extra $36 and change for the longer legs.

Today I bought the steel angle iron for the camper hold downs. 2x3 and a quarter inch thick is some what overkill but better safe than sorry. All the bolts will be grade 5 or 8 with nylock nuts and large area washer inside.

And I have one little issue that has me puzzled. When the camper was sitting on the milk crates both doors opened and closed perfectly. Now that the camper is on the trailer the bottom door is catching on the bottom left corner and won't close. All I can think of is the camper isn't setting level on the trailers deck or could be twisting. Need to lift the camper and see if there is something beneath that is causing my problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• mt build 6.jpg
  • mt build 7.jpg
  • angle iron 1.jpg
  • angle iron 2.jpg

#14 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

With the door closed, look at the edge of the door and the edge of the door frame....there should be the same amount of the door frame exposed at the top and bottom.

Too much exposed at the top of the door and the upper section will bind on the slides making it difficult to raise and a real bear to lower evenly...but that appears to not be your problem unless your door is hanging on the frame or has been rehung out of position of something...check that first!

I think you are onto the issue with an uneven trailer bed, one that is slightly bowed DOWN in the middle.

Next, get a long straight edge to sit on the trailer deck and compare that to sitting it on the angled steel across the rear of the camper to see what is out of whack.

You should post some photos of the door/door frame and the straight edge on the trailer deck

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#15 Harold

Harold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

I will tell you I sure miss my drill press. Drilling all these holes with a 3/8 corded hand drill is son of a gun. Had to step away for a few and let the drill cool down. Got one of four angles done this morning and hope to get one more done before it gets to hot out.

Finished two of the four angle camper attachment angles. 

Attached Thumbnails

• angle iron 2.jpg
  • Alaskan hold downs.jpg
  • drilled Alaskan camper hold downs.jpg

Edited by Harold, 15 July 2019 - 06:45 PM.

#16 Harold

Harold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:43 PM

The M116A3 camper trailer conversion is complete. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. Heading out at the end of July for Bridgeport CA for a family camp out. 

Attached Thumbnails

• M116A3 camper trailer conversion.jpg
  • M116A3 camper trailer conversion 2.jpg
  • M116A3 camper trailer conversion 3.jpg
  • M116A3 camper trailer conversion 4.jpg

#17 Harold

Harold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:18 AM

Took the trailer out for the first test tow and it pulled flawlessly around town and up on the interstate.

Very pleased how it turned out and can't wait for all the adventures in the future.

Attached Thumbnails

• 84 Dodge Ramcharger.jpg

#18 Harold

Harold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

Last night I had the telescoping landing legs welded to the back of the trailer. Front to back leveling will be done by the tongue jack and side to side leveling by the two rear stabilizers. Needs to be level for the propane refrigerator to work correctly.

Attached Thumbnails

• landing leg.jpg
  • landing legs.jpg

#19 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

I get the front to back levelling but how do the two rear stabilizers work, I do not see any way to adjust. 

#20 Harold

Harold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

I get the front to back levelling but how do the two rear stabilizers work, I do not see any way to adjust. 

I use a highlift jack to adjust height then place the keeper pin in accordingly. 

Edited by Harold, 26 July 2019 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users