• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

The first camper we built took 1800 man hours to build and many many cups of coffee. I am trying to build " That perfect Camper " agin. I am not wanting to change the shape of our camper. But the options or even the layout of the inside. What options should be standard or not even options at all. I am trying to build a camper that is basic and comfortable that can still be the way the customer wants it and possibal to build. I will accept any input that i can get on this matter. Keeping in mind that i am not trying to change our product to a higher priced camper. I am asking all of the wtw forum becouse you are the people that i go to work for every day. Or closer to home make it possibal for me to do the work that i enjoy. Thank you.

Marty Austin

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

It seems that some of the most popular modifications members have done have been to design a better couch or install a dinette instead of a couch. These may be a couple of options or design changes to consider.

#3 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

Kudos for posing such a question, marty

You'll get a myriad of answers, for sure!

Thinking back to my search....

I think someone would have a serious advantage if they were to build a "shell" model that could easily be customized...either in the factory...or later by the consumer. Probably the BIGGEST surprise for me in my search (other than seeing EVERY used model FLY out the door before I could act) was to find out that the shell model (at least the FWC is this way) at present *isn't* customizable with stock equipment...and that the infrastructure of said models isn't there to let someone make these decisions later. (elect, plumbing/drains/wiring/etc)

Like a computer...make these units "plug and play". Buy the sink/sink cabinet...uncover the porthole..bolt it in..hook up the drain..BAM..you are in biz...ditto with the stove..refrig..etc.

IMO...this would open up the purchase point of a NEW camper to folks with less $$$ on hand and would allow each owner to build their unit to suit...either upfront..or down the road (pun intended). I hear all the time "I have 6-8K to spend but I don't have 11K for a new unit"...so why not play into that market and get those folks on the road...especially in this economy? The "trickle-in" business after the sale for "options" would be serious stuff in this senario..IMO!

good luck in your quest.... and thanks again for posing the question.

mtn

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

"Modularity"

Couch module
Dinette module
Galley module
Furnace Module

Also (perhaps) get yourself associated with a university ME program and have them analyze the shell with FEA to uncover potential weaknesses or to enhance the structural design. You might save significant weight|cost...

#5 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

I think another great option would be to offer a "kit" or plans to build your own. I think that even a model with a little less material that would be cheaper to make and be lighter would have a market niche. You could call it the 2WD model. This economy has been rough on a lot of people, and finding a camper to fit my truck has been really difficult. I for one would be really interested if plans or a kit if it would be available. I am looking at simply surviving in my camper till the "good times" return. Does anyone have any ideas?
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I had thought dual benches in the front of the camper on both sides (40-48" long) that made a dinette and folded to make a bed that runs the width of the camper a bed down below would be nice (this for fullsize rigs that are wider, not the bobcat). Then make cabinets in the rear of the camper for sink/stove, etc. Maybe put some of the utilities under the benches to keep the weight a bit forward. Not sure it that made total sense?
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#7 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

After using the camper for 2 years. Here are some of my thoughts. These are some things I want to modify on my camper.

1. Like what Ted said, design a better couch or install a dinette instead of a couch.
2. Try using lighter material for the interior cabinets.
3. Better insulation.
4. An option to have a storage for Porta Potti.
5. External mounting points for Hi-Lift, shovel, axe, Jerry cans and etc.
6. A better ladder to reach the roof instead of the fold down steps.
7. It would be nice to be retro fit some of these features to the existing campers.
8. Would be nice to have an option to add a microwave, :D. Seriously.
9. A storage behind the couch on both side of the window.

Alex

#8 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Marty,

My camper (#1062) has been great. We've loved it. I look forward to eventually ordering a Cougar shell and building the inside myself...

Unless, that is, you beat me to it! So, here are my two cents...

One: build a dinette.

It became necessary for me to retrofit a dinette in after spending a couple days with my folks and their class C. I have NO regrets: the camper is bigger, brighter, and can comfortably hold more people.

Here's a link to what I did: [thread=1677]Panther 3/4 Dinette[/thread].
Bobg333's: [thread=1339]Dinette for Grandby[/thread].
DLN's: [thread=1302]Mini Dinette for the Eagle[/thread].

FWC's dinette, while nice, is too much compromise for a guy like me (i.e. has children). I'm sure it's comfortable, but the cost of this comfort was utility: it's a 2 person dinette with limited foot room, but I can comfortably get 3 adults at mine, 4 if we use a camp stool in the aisle.

What we can't do is sleep 2 adults "downstairs". That's OK, they sleep in the tent, but when it's cold and rainy during the day, having a nice table to sit around is great.

On to the next idea...

Two: galley change.

This is more a brainstorm idea. I'd like to see the galley along the front. Alaskan camper recently did something like this: here's a link.

If you then had seating across the camper, you could have large windows on each side and the dinette could become a bed for 2 adults...

Pods8 describes similar, but I think COG ahead of the rear axle is better.

So, let me close by saying good luck in your endeavor, and keep us posted!

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Cha Ching!!!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Kudos for posing such a question, marty

You'll get a myriad of answers, for sure!

Thinking back to my search....

I think someone would have a serious advantage if they were to build a "shell" model that could easily be customized...either in the factory...or later by the consumer. Probably the BIGGEST surprise for me in my search (other than seeing EVERY used model FLY out the door before I could act) was to find out that the shell model (at least the FWC is this way) at present *isn't* customizable with stock equipment...and that the infrastructure of said models isn't there to let someone make these decisions later. (elect, plumbing/drains/wiring/etc)

Like a computer...make these units "plug and play". Buy the sink/sink cabinet...uncover the porthole..bolt it in..hook up the drain..BAM..you are in biz...ditto with the stove..refrig..etc.

IMO...this would open up the purchase point of a NEW camper to folks with less $$$ on hand and would allow each owner to build their unit to suit...either upfront..or down the road (pun intended). I hear all the time "I have 6-8K to spend but I don't have 11K for a new unit"...so why not play into that market and get those folks on the road...especially in this economy? The "trickle-in" business after the sale for "options" would be serious stuff in this senario..IMO!

good luck in your quest.... and thanks again for posing the question.

mtn

Well said Mtn-high.....I am one of those folks with less $ to play with.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users