43 replies to this topic

#21 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

Marty,

Pods8 describes similar, but I think COG ahead of the rear axle is better.

The CG issue is the hitch but I think it would be better to not have to disturb the bed/dinette while going in and out of the camper.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#22 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

The CG issue is the hitch but I think it would be better to not have to disturb the bed/dinette while going in and out of the camper.

Yeah, I concur. But for the Toyota and 1/2 ton guys, that much weight in the rear is an issue... Marty is talking about a big time investment for prototyping, he probably needs to look at building a camper for 80% of his customers.

Furthermore, I'd move to an 8' camper on my 6.75' bed, even w/ a 1 ton I don't really want my COG that far back...

So, regardless it's a compromise...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#23 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:55 AM

I bought my FWC used, so I have what I can afford, for now.

Given the truck manufacturers predilection toward larger cab sizes, a queen size bed (80" x 60") over the cab would probably look good. I can see that being a difficult engineering problem given the dynamic loading a newly wed couple might impart on such a bed.

A built in, adjustable air dam on the front of the camper; a wedge that could be adjusted up or down in, say 1/2 inch increments and tilted within about 15 degrees to fit the shape of the truck (when the top is lowered) and thus reduce air drag.

#24 masterplumber

masterplumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

Ok, this is completely out of the box but waht about a shell model with a double door that would give a clear opening of 49'' on the full size models - the inside front to back floor space would have to be 97'' on a long bed model. This would allow a guy to use the camper for work during the week & then throw in some modular boxxes on Friday afternoon & go camping. Maybe have an option for some fold down benches that are 6'6'' long mounted toward the front - thay can be used as a dinette during the day & as narrow twin beds at night.

The other thing that seems to need work on both the ATC & the FWC is the mounting system - not saying their bad - they just don't cut it if a guy really uses the truck on the trails as either the frames crack or the turn buckles come loose or both. I know the engineering would be tough but what about an optional subframe that in effect makes a 3 point mounting system to isolate the camper from the twists of the truck bed.

Doug

#25 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

The first mod I did on my camper was taking the table out and installing slide out tables into the kitchen cabinet.

The second mod was changing the sofa / bed setup. The original ATC setup takes up too much space when used as a bed. Now it is a little higher and closer to the side window, leaving a much wider space to the kitchen cabinet.

The next mod I'm working on is a system that will allow me to take the sofa out of the camper and attach it to the side of it. Then I want to use the slide out portion of the cab over bed and use it as a table. This way I would have a comfortable seating solution outside under the awning without increasing the weight or volume.

Another mod I'd like to see is an additional crib / bed for smaller children. On my previous camper I had this set up as a folding bed on top of the fridge. During the day it was kept on top of the cab over bed, at night it was set up over the fridge / sink.

A power outlet for 12v / 110V under the awning would be nice

The air dam for the space between cab and hangover was mentioned before.

A more aerodynamic design to reduce wind resistance and increase mileage would be appreciated.
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#26 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

Gentlemen (and there is a lady or two out there), can any of us imagine a lead engineer at General Motors seriously engaging customers about how GM could improve its cars and trucks? It is a privilege to witness a company making an honest effort to provide service to enthusiastic customers interested in the results. We are all doing something here that will bare fruit and hopefully make Marty’s company very successful.

There are many excellent ideas in this thread. Some are ingenious. I have seen pictures of work done on individuals' campers by members of the forum which can only be described properly as fine art. I wish I could have a camper made with fine woodwork inside, just because it is so pretty. In reality, this is not practical. After all, it is just a camper.

Let me put in my two cents, which is just my opinion and everyone else’s opinion is just as valid as mine. About the couch; the complaint or suggestion about the couch is oft repeated. Some say that FWC has a better solution with its more mechanical couch. I disagree. The simplicity of a piece of padded plywood is preferred. It weighs less, it works, and it will not break. I hope ATC will resist the temptation to resolve a problem where there is none, or at least continue to offer the simpler arrangement as standard. It is good that we have two lightweight camper builders, one catering to those wanting more luxuries and one dedicated to the concept of simplicity. In fact, I wish Marty would make a special model, the "HDT", after Henry David Thoreau. It would have a strong small following. _John D

#27 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Then I want to use the slide out portion of the cab over bed and use it as a table.

Not sure if you've bothered to take the slide out in/out of the camper but its not the easiest thing to maneuver the rotation to get it out the door on a regular basis type thing, I can see someone being rushed or such over time potentially tearing the sideliner. Perhaps you have it down already but I figured I'd point it out in case you hadn't noted that yet.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#28 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Not sure if you've bothered to take the slide out in/out of the camper but its not the easiest thing to maneuver the rotation to get it out the door on a regular basis type thing, I can see someone being rushed or such over time potentially tearing the sideliner. Perhaps you have it down already but I figured I'd point it out in case you hadn't noted that yet.

I also thought about this, the whole slide out might be too big to take out, and I don't really need such a big table. That's why I thought of cutting some portions out of the slide out. Using a slanted cut would allow me to drop the cutouts back in. The table doesn't have to be bigger than 2 x 4 ft, that should be sufficient for 2 adults and 2 kids.
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#29 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I also thought about this, the whole slide out might be too big to take out, and I don't really need such a big table. That's why I thought of cutting some portions out of the slide out. Using a slanted cut would allow me to drop the cutouts back in. The table doesn't have to be bigger than 2 x 4 ft, that should be sufficient for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I'd be worried about loosing the rigidity of the slide doing that. The front brace does most of the work but the plywood does some as well. Good luck and use some test pieces first. ;)

#30 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

I'd be worried about loosing the rigidity of the slide doing that. The front brace does most of the work but the plywood does some as well. Good luck and use some test pieces first. ;)

Hm, I usually go for the crash and burn approach. Some people learn through reading or listening, I learn through pain :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users