• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Hello ... not a WTW area but some have done this trip. I have done PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. This summer a three week trip loop (see map hi-lighted). Northern Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine to home western Massachusetts. Seafood heaven.  

If anyone has done this or similar loop would appreciate the experienced knowledge. I use iOverlander and similar for "dispersed" or free camping. 

Attached Thumbnails

• CA.jpg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Rob - We have been to the Maritimes three times and plan to return in 2020.  In 2017 we did a trip similar to the one you are planning, but did it clockwise rather than counter clockwise.  We are fond of Canadian Provincial Parks and split our time between them and dispersed camping.  The farther north you are, the easier it is to find dispersed sites.  We often ask the locals where they camp.  I would be happy to share the slide show/video that I made of our trip if you are interested, and also would be glad to answer any specific questions that you may have.  I can almost guarantee that you will have a great trip. - Rich   

Attached Thumbnails

• Camper on Beach #3.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#3 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

Oooops!  My mistake, we did the trip counter clockwise and you are doing it clockwise.  Sorry.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

We went to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick a couple of years ago and all it did was to wet our appetite for more!
We are planning on a very similar loop in 2021 except we’ll be entering Canada West of your itenerary.
One thing I’m trying to figure out is what is the best time to go..i’d Like to be able to see the icebergs but want to avoid the bugs as much as possible.

Missing Link when was your trip? That’s some serious ice in that picture!

Edited by smlobx, 04 April 2019 - 09:14 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

Rich, nice shot on the beach (what one?)...looks a tad chilly... what months? We did an 10 day trip to New Brunswick last summer staying on Grand Mana island and Deer Island both sites on the water. We have done Nova scotia twice (best place Meat cove up north) . I'd love t see the photos/slideshow. Is it online? IF not PDF? We live in the boonies ...no internet choices except tethering to our cell phone 2 bar. So not much data. 

The road in Quebec to Labrador looks like a lot of fun. Really looking forward to it. I am sure to come up with more questions as time draws closer. We plan to go mid July into August. Thanks again 

Rob

Here are a couple shots

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6059.jpeg
  • IMG_6026.jpeg
  • IMG_3374.jpeg
  • IMG_3285.jpeg

Henry David Thoreau

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

Know the seasons of bugs. April sea ice is there and the bergs flow in May. That is on the cusp of black fly and no-see-ums. Mosquitos join them as it warms up in summer. 

Be sure to bring no ses um head nets and I suggest buying the screen material to velcro over the regular camper screens ( believe me no see ums are insidious). Also check if you are doing ferry from Labrador to Newfoundland in April it might not be running yet. There is a site that posts the opening of the sea ice for the ferry start.

https://www.penbaypi...ing-gnats/13917

https://newfoundsand....com/seasons/#8

Edited by buckland, 04 April 2019 - 09:37 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#7 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

Rob - They had experienced a particularly cold winter.  That photo was taken on June 12th at a Lions Club campground in Fogo City on Fogo island.  It cost $10.00 per night and the pic was taken of our campsite.  I have the slideshow on YouTube.  If I send you a link, will you be able to access it?  If memory serves me, the road from Baie-Comeau (on the St. Lawrence River) north to the beginning of the Trans Labrador Hwy. is about 600 km. of good gravel (some paved) and the trans Lab. Hwy from Labrador City to Red Bay is another 1,000 km. of good gravel (some paved).  All the details are easy to find on the internet, including how to pick up a free satellite phone for the Trans Lab.  My wife and I concur on Meat cove.  We camped up on the bluff there in 2003 and were smitten with it.  SMBLOX - we were pretty much run out of Labrador in 2003 due to the black flies (that trip was in July) but were very lucky this last trip.  Encountered more mosquitos and black flies in Maine than in NL or Lab.  We bought full bug suits before the trip but thankfully, did not need them.  Here are a few more pics.  The ferry had a difficult time landing to pick up and drop off passengers due to the ice. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Fishing Village #2.jpg
  • Ferry in Pack Ice #1.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#8 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:31 AM

We will be leaving home on June 21st to catch the ferry to Argentia on the 23rd. Working our way across and up to make our way home through Labrador. Figuring about a 4 week trip. Sounds like we might be hitting prime bug season !! We spent 18 nights in Nfld late Aug early Sept last year . Planned on spending more time and driving home through Labrador but due to a medical emergency at home we cut it short. Link, we also camped at the Lions park on Fogo but we ended up moving up behind the Lions hall because of the wind that night. We were the only ones there . WE can't wait to get back and finish our trip but I wonder if we might be going a bit early?? What do you think Link? 

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:08 AM

My wife and I have been been roaming The North Maine Woods with canoe for 30 years...just me longer. We are as accustomed to the 3 flying devils (actually 4.... green heads! ) as we will ever be. Drinking coffee through a head net just changes the favor. We also have a screen house that we set up if we are staying a few days in a spot. 

That is a very cool idea about loaning out satellite phones....will want to hear more about that as so far haven't seen that in print. We went on a wing and a prayer in the upper Yukon....I would have felt better with an emergency phone. 

We were in Meat cove way back so I am sure it is more popular. Did you have to maker a reservation ahead?

Thanks for the photos .... gets the excitement up even more!

Edited by buckland, 05 April 2019 - 11:09 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

We're headed up that way early Sept. and will get some fly fishing in, etc.  No real destinations other than PEI, NB, etc. and will definately monitor this thread!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users