• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

Great stuff folks, thanks ! Am following, with interest.

Couple of thoughts from this thread... re no see um netting, we opted to simply hand sew a sheet of netting into the camper window mesh. easier than sewing/removing a velco frame but it is permanent and does reduce airflow quite noticeably.

re the trans lab hwy: not clear on the OPs bandwidth availability but ... ADVrider website has a number of trip reports/info - try search 'TLH'. As I understand it, most of it is now paved, and some say, can be long and monotonous. :mellow:

re Churchill falls controversy. not to be debbie downer, but I believe the resident Innu people have a different perspective. It does however, provide cheap generation for Hydro-Québec's power exports.

re: direction of travel. Mid summer may not matter but for shoulder I'd consider the seasonal weather. Lab City is quite a bit further north than Saint John. We hope to travel late summer- fall so will look at avg frost dates for eg. And then there's the lobster seasons to consider ...

Edited by klahanie, 08 April 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#22 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

We're headed up that way early Sept. and will get some fly fishing in, etc.  No real destinations other than PEI, NB, etc. and will definately monitor this thread!

Hey Kevin I just saw this post... somehow slipped past me. In NB we stayed at two places one was Deer Island ...short ferry over and Grand Manan island ...a bit longer ferry trip. Not sure the camp ground on the ledges is still open but it was real nice to be on the bluff looking at the water. The one on Deer island ... should you go there there is one site right before the entrance to the campground on the right. It is far away from all the other campers and has it's own beach. The sea food is great! I'll PM you about the video link you mentioned. I can do that but just go to the library to watch with their wifi,

Edited by buckland, 09 April 2019 - 12:45 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#23 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

We stayed on Deer Island about 15 years ago, I remember letting the high tide put out the campfire and listening to porpoises as we fell asleep.  Great place. 

We are heading back up there this July with the kid and kayaks, Stonington ME, then Deer Island and heading out to Grand Manan.  Never been to Grand Manan, are their puffins or do you need to take a tour boat?  

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

Well there are supposed to be and we saw lots of them at Meat cove in NS but when we hiked the cliffs in NB where they were supposed to be the fog pretty much blanked us out.... oh yeah... fog at night = fog horns..... bring ear plugs!

Edited by buckland, 09 April 2019 - 11:05 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#25 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hey Rob. Be sure to check out the entertainment at some of the local bars in Nfld. Always good for a laugh. There is some free camping along the cliffs near Cape St George and watch for the whales below. We changed our ferry to June 30th now ,maybe our paths will cross??? 

#26 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

Could happen. At this point though we are looking at leaving here around the 16th of July. I think we will do the trip counter clockwise ending up coming home through Quebec. A friend went last August and one of his photos of Saint John there was a FWC there. Go figure.

Edited by buckland, 09 April 2019 - 11:05 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#27 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:37 AM

We had a great puffin viewing experience at Elliston on the Bonovista Peninsula but boy, was it windy!

Attached Thumbnails

• Puffins #1.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#28 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

A long while back we made the loop..also counter clockwise.....great country.

I was lucky enough to score a BridgeTour on the Vomit Comet ferry while underway......

They related cutting smack thru a smaller vessel early in the ferrys service.

As I recall they had stern side thrusters on that ferry that were essentially outboard motors with GIANT diesels...V12s I recall.

Hold on!

David Graves

#29 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

Bonine.... incredibly good stuff. Crossed the Gulf of Alaska in nasty weather and 'maintained composure' ... not easy for me under those conditions! 

Henry David Thoreau

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

Bonine.... incredibly good stuff. Crossed the Gulf of Alaska in nasty weather and 'maintained composure' ... not easy for me under those conditions!

Check your local pharmacies for “Meclizine” it’s the non-brand name for Bonine and Dramamine. The last time I bought any, it was about 1/10th the price of the branded products. Something like $10 per 100, versus a $1 for each tablet for the small containers. Be careful, it can be nap time in a hurry with these products, especially if you have an adult beverage.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users