Photo
- - - - -

Wire location in roof for pre-wired solar?

solar wiring roof

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 achiral

achiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

I purchased a used 2006 Grandby about a year ago, have done various updates and minor maintenance, and now would like to install solar.

The camper appears to be pre-wired based on this thread (two set of wires going up to the roof and build date is 2006):

http://www.wanderthe...006#entry164462

So there are wires, but there is no feedthrough/plug through the roof panel or any visual way to see where one could cut through the roof to access the wire ends.

I contacted 4WC with the build and delivery information (e.g. build date, original purchaser, serial number), but their customer service said that they are unable to find the records or documentation for this build.

I haven't seen any pictures of someone using these wires on Grandby, and reading these forums it sounds like there is some variability in wire placement, particularly on the first year after pre-wiring started.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to find the wires (without making cuts in the roof or headliner), or has anyone found the wires on a Grandby from this year?

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:05 PM

The wires on my 2014 Eagle shell we under the forward wooded piece that is screwed to the ceiling and serves as the point to push up the roof, after I remove it there was a junction box with 2 wires, The jct box had a hole, thru which I drill thru the roof. If you have not looked there, then try it. You may already know this from previous posts.

Good luck

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 achiral

achiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

The wires on my 2014 Eagle shell we under the forward wooded piece that is screwed to the ceiling and serves as the point to push up the roof, after I remove it there was a junction box with 2 wires, The jct box had a hole, thru which I drill thru the roof. If you have not looked there, then try it. You may already know this from previous posts.

Good luck

Thank you - I had not seen that before, but it would make sense from an access perspective. I'll take a look under the front lift board.

It sounded to me like the more recent campers were both better laid out and more consistent in wire routing for solar, so I'm a bit dubious that one of the earlier pre-wired campers will be the same. This is all based off of reading, so my perception may not be accurate.

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

Howdy

Good luck finding the solar wiring...it will be a red and black wire pair and the front roof push panel is a great place to look.

Also, there will be TWO strouded wire sets going up behind the front roof support panel if you have solar wire routed into the top.

One can see these when the roof is up...usually on the left side at the front.

David Graves

#5 achiral

achiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Howdy

Good luck finding the solar wiring...it will be a red and black wire pair and the front roof push panel is a great place to look.

Also, there will be TWO strouded wire sets going up behind the front roof support panel if you have solar wire routed into the top.

One can see these when the roof is up...usually on the left side at the front.

David Graves

There are two shrouded wire sets in the driver's side front corner going to the hinged lift panel, so it does appear to be pre-wired.

Hopefully the roof panel/lift board will gain access to the wire terminations.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

I don’t believe it will. I have a vague memory of a thread that discussed the solar pre-wire being very near the roof vent. Hopefully, someone will be able to provide better info.

I am haunted by waters

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

Look into one of these or equivalent tools. https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000FTADX0
Search for “wire tracing fox”Attach the transmitter to the solar wiring near the batteries and the receiver should hear the tone so that you can trace to the other end without taking down the ceiling fabric.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 achiral

achiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

Look into one of these or equivalent tools. https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000FTADX0
Search for “wire tracing fox”Attach the transmitter to the solar wiring near the batteries and the receiver should hear the tone so that you can trace to the other end without taking down the ceiling fabric.
Paul

I had been thinking of a field meter with DC or an antenna with AC or RF on the lines, but the aluminum structure could radically complicate detection.

I hadn't seen an audio transmitter/detector like this, but it seems like a far more robust method than electrical. Thank you very much for the idea.

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

ACHIRAL

Hi, you know the front push bar may be a bit misleading as I own a Hawk....about 16" shorter.

Regardless....the wires are almost certainly behind the push board or the vent fan shroud/trim.

Let us all know as inquiring minds want to know.....and help solve the mystery.

This forum is pretty old fashioned in that we all really do try and be helpful.....we are all neighbors here.

David Graves

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Send me an e-mail if you could with camper model, serial number, or original owners name.

Stan@fourwh.com

I'm buried right now and falling a bit behind.     :(

But I will see if I can find measurements for you when time allows.

If anyone can find them, it might be me.

:)

Stan

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, wiring, roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users