• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

Hi All : I've put my order in for a new ATC Panther Shell. One of the options I want is either an AT gas can holder or a Rotopax mounted on the rear. I don't have any experience with Rotopax, but I've read about some of you experiencing leaks along the seam or the can becoming warped or bowled. I like the low profile look of the Rotopax but I'm also wondering about how much of a problem it is to manipulate the CARB pour spout. What are your thoughts about these issues? Also, what size would you recommend? 

Thanks!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#2 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

I have two AT can holders mounted on the back of my Panther shell and we love them. Jeff & Marty did the install for us as part of our build. We mostly use them to transport extra water as opposed to fuel. When not in use for fuel/water stowage they make for handy towel racks, a place to hang a trash bag or a convenient shelf so I don't misplace my beer. :D

I ordered my Wavian cans from jerrycans.com. I also ordered an extra set of regular spouts, way easier than having to deal with the CARB compliant standard issue.

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 19 April 2019 - 07:51 PM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

We watch the weight of everything on our truck. Therefore, we went with the rotopax, Cons are that we're limited to three gallon containers - unless we wanted to stack; we don't. Also the heavy plastic can swells in the sun with fuel expansion. Traditional jerry cans give you 5 gallons.

Our extra gas is only insurance. In all these years we have never used the extra gas.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:42 PM

We also have 2 jerry can racks on our camper. We use the Scepter brand military cans and spout which avoids the problems of the carb compliant spouts. As Tuff Guy said, one advantage is that the racks can be used for both fuel or water (I guess this is true for Rotopax also). We also use them to carry ammo cans with an adapted strap that I made when not needed for fuel.

We use the fuel cans for insurance and to extend our range. They also can help mitigate the cost of expensive gas by filling up at cheaper gas spots and using it in areas where gas is expensive.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

When I got my Bobcat, Marty recommended Rotopax. My only complaint is they rub the paint under the container. Ski3pin made a shim system that prevents that, so maybe we can twist his arm into a photo, and source for the corner shim buttons.

My gas cans are 3 gallon, the water is 2 gallon.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:55 AM

We watch the weight of everything on our truck. Therefore, we went with the rotopax, Cons are that we're limited to three gallon containers - unless we wanted to stack; we don't. Also the heavy plastic can swells in the sun with fuel expansion. Traditional jerry cans give you 5 gallons.

Our extra gas is only insurance. In all these years we have never used the extra gas.

To you and Wandering Sagebrush - do you have any issues using the CARB compliant spout? When I spec'd my build, Marty recommended the AT can holder because he thought the Rotopax CARB spout was a pita. I've used the same jerry cans for years and use an old non compliant spout. Whether you can get fined for that is not an issue I'm wanting to debate on this thread thank you!

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:24 AM

Throw the CARB compliant spouts away, they suck! I ordered the regular spouts from Rotopax. If law requires you have them in the can, and you think you might get checked, keep them, but use a regular spout when pouring.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:37 AM

Throw the CARB compliant spouts away, they suck! I ordered the regular spouts from Rotopax. If law requires you have them in the can, and you think you might get checked, keep them, but use a regular spout when pouring.

Thanks - good to know that the regular spouts are available.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:55 AM

Thanks - good to know that the regular spouts are available.

There are several places that sell them. I couldn’t get into the RotopaX site, but here’s one...

https://www.motospor...T000H-X001-Y001

I am haunted by waters

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:50 AM

If you opt for the jerry can carrier then you can use this instead if water is more important than fuel:

https://www.frontrun...n-with-tap.html

front-runner-plastic-water-jerry-can-wit

Step up for their better, brass spigot, it's significantly better than the plastic spigot.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users