#91 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

Hey Cory -

Your build looks like a lot of fun and  we appreciate the sharing. 

I picked up a damaged palomino bronco off craigslist for the jacks and some glow steps for a different build that I recently finished.  Story was a real heart breaker, where the previous owner hit the highway without clamping down the roof -  you can guess the rest.

I was planning to dump the camper after I removed the jacks and steps, but the problem is it's in really good condition and kinda new (2011 w/fridge, heater, sink, outside shower, etc) . . . 

I now feel the obligation to build the top and use it or sell it !

Here is my issue - The lift mechanism is in tact and the worm springs that go up and down in each corner to help lift the roof also work . . .  BUT - I don't have the square tubes that get pushed up by the worm springs and have limited ideas on how I should connect new tubes to the roof framing!  Do you have any photos or suggestions of how I should frame in the connection points?

Photos below (one of the actual camper that I got and one of the lift pole that came out of a brochure)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0838 (1).jpg
  • IMG_0842.jpg

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#92 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

Wow.....your post is timely. I keep reminding myself that I need to put the latches back on.

All the poles going up are is hollow tube welded at the bottom with a plug if I remember correctly. Just straight square tube to fit inside the vertical with a hole drilled in the top for a bolt to go through the sides of the roof wall.

Man....that rig is a beauty. Would love that one. Were you able to recover the roof at all?

#93 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

@ HughDog:

One of my customers lost the roof on his Palomino Bronco B1500 two weeks ago. He is 280 miles from so i have only one pic that show the bent tube and connection to the roof after the incident.

May be it helps

Manfred

36427418az.jpeg

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#94 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:53 PM

Hi Cory,

your rebuild takes out to be a real and sometimes dangerous adventure! 

The best wishes to you and your brave wife from my better half!

Looks like we have to meet in the near future to have some cold beer together!

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#95 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:16 AM

Sounds fantastic sir. Anytime your close, please let me know. I would love to come over there.... but 2 kids and a wife and single income lead to not being able right now. A dream is a cruise on the Rhine.

Really monster project...... almost an elephant.... these little things have all the work a big one has, just different lengths of wood.... buddy from church said I could sell this one and rebuild a bigger one. I smiled and said "maybe" out loud, but thought no chance. I just keep taking one bite at a time.

Much work done the last days. I'll update when I get a chance with my laptop.

#96 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Well brothers and sisters......we're off.....I didn't have time to get the laptop out and do a proper update....but, she's "campable"..... Here's a pic of her loaded. Hopefully it will show up.....I had problems in the beginning of this getting pictures to show. I'll update when I get back. I'm not even taking any electronics except my cellphone, they won't work anyway.....
Blessings to all.....see you next week!!!!

48457375011_414c3c9f53_z_d.jpg

Edited by corybrown50, 04 August 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#97 kmehr

kmehr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:13 AM

man it looks great!

Former- '83 Jayco Sportster 7 (fully rebuilt, sold) on 05 Dodge 2500 Cummins (sold)

Current: '23 Outfitter Juno 8.5 on '22 Ram 2500 Cummins

1970 Toyota FJ40

#98 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

Looking good.You sure have put a lot of work in your "new"camper.

Have a great time using it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#99 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

@ HughDog:

One of my customers lost the roof on his Palomino Bronco B1500 two weeks ago. He is 280 miles from so i have only one pic that show the bent tube and connection to the roof after the incident.

May be it helps

Manfred

36427418az.jpeg

Thanks Manfred!  Seems like roofs blasting off are more common than I would guess.  The lady that owned mine said it set sail and was on some highway in Cali - so I never had a chance to see how it all connected.  Thanks again for the pics.

#100 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

Wow.....your post is timely. I keep reminding myself that I need to put the latches back on.

All the poles going up are is hollow tube welded at the bottom with a plug if I remember correctly. Just straight square tube to fit inside the vertical with a hole drilled in the top for a bolt to go through the sides of the roof wall.

Man....that rig is a beauty. Would love that one. Were you able to recover the roof at all?

Thanks man -There are pieces of the canvas still attached to the top if that counts!

Hope your trip goes great!

BTW -There is a huge chance I may offload this one before I build the top (got too many other honey do's)  -  So If you know anyone that wants the pain - let me know!  I'll make them a WTW deal -

Edited by HughDog, 05 August 2019 - 05:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 92 Jayco Sportster, rebuild, slide in camper, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users