• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#131 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 August 2021 - 08:20 PM

Manfred's redo with a 12v winch was pretty cool. I've contemplated doing it multiple times. For now, the winch works and it will stay for now. There should have been some decent pictures of the routing here in the rebuild.

#132 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 31 August 2021 - 09:34 AM

Hi guys,

once again:

@alan : sometimes the springs are bent or there is so much rust in the steel tubes that they can not run smoothly.

Other failures are broken wires and broken pulleys in the corners.

https://www.wanderth...8ft-renovation/

Good luck and feel free to ask whenever and whatever you want to...

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#133 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 August 2021 - 02:17 PM

Brother, 

That is so satisfying to watch. 

I never noticed that you have an awning......Which awning do you have? I been looking for one for the side and possibly the back. Hard to find something to use on a camper that has a lift roof. Any pics?

#134 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 09:00 PM

Hey Cory,

the Awning is an older Fiamma Awning that came with the camper. As you can see it is mounted to the roof.

Problem 1: You have to open it before you open the roof

Problem 2: The original plastic support brackets have been mounted to the lower edge of the camper as well as my airline tracks that i installed there to hang whatever stuff along the sides and to support the awning legs. This way if we open the awning it does not reach out very far and it sits pretty high on the rig. So it keeps us off the sun only around noon.

This is the awning problem on Truckcampers esp. Popup: if the awning is mounted below the window it sits too low, above the window there is most time not too much room for an awning. An awning will reduce the free view out of the side window.

A self supporting awning like a batwing or the Bundutec Bundu-half has a high risk for damage on the camper wall. Rory Willett is building his campers to use these awnings...but you know the Jayco frame. Ours is "double sized"...may be ,....

#135 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Manfed, 

I've been running with a 10'x10' pop up canopy that I set up on the passenger side and a tarp that I connect at the rear and run out that way. If I had an awning mounted on the outside that would eliminate at least the pop up and give me significantly more packing room inside. My friend that worked at the RV dealership locally has moved on to another job, so I don't have as much access to items that could be repurposed in a truck camper way. 

On another note, I must say that my 100 watt flexible solar panel that I put on the windshield has been amazing!!!! Keeps both batteries fully charged even on rainy days..... I'm very surprised how much difference LED lights make. I think I have a really good set up now with the propane fridge, propane heater (factory), outside grill, and LEDs. My only thing I am missing is water, but so far using 5 gal containers has been fine. 

These things are very compact and fun to travel, as long as I'm not bringing the whole family (wife, me, 8yo son, and 13yo daughter). Still trying to figure that one out. 

#136 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 10:50 PM

I am glad you like your Jayco.

Tarps and other stuff is a good choice for campers. If you leave them alone and a storm occurs it does not damage the camper like a fixed awning can do. And they mostly save weight.

LED-Bulbs are a big game changer. If you would change to a compressor fridge you may need a little more solar power. I have 200W on the roof but this is more than enough with our Engel-compressor fridge.

I installed a new 15 gal Water tank in our Jayco and never need it. OK, we are only two persons. I see the danger of getting microbes in the water tank. We use the tank only for washing and dish-washing. So you better stay with the containers. Easy and no expensive water pump to fail. A drop in pump is the best choice if you need one. Pull it out and it empty and can not fail due to freezing in winter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 92 Jayco Sportster, rebuild, slide in camper, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users