135 replies to this topic

#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

You are committed and really getting on with this rebuild. Nice to see and thanks again for documenting it here!

:)

Edited by ski3pin, 30 April 2019 - 02:29 PM.
forgot to add the smile

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

Hi Cory,

you made a really great progress on your rebuilt in such a short time!

Ours lasted exactly one year.... from Easter to Easter....

Ok, i we also had a lot of work on the Truck and renovated the house along with the camper.....

Tell the Truck she will go to the scrapyard and will be replaced by a nice Japanese Lady....this worked well on ours.. :D  :D

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#33 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

That's hilarious!!!

Maybe that will work. The Mrs. was questioning the work/value relationship with the truck last night.....

The pros are 2 owner truck, myself and a family friend. I know everything that has gone into her and know she is solid from tires up once this hurdle is overcome. New front end, new tires, new lines, new brakes.......more I can't remember

The cons.....she's a 98, not worth much outside of me to anyone else if I wanted to upgrade. And the money to upgrade would be offset even more by whatever I would have to do to a newer truck to get it to my standards. It seems like every vehicle I acquire needs a new front end, brakes, and tires minimum. We don't have much money to get something newer, a few thousand at the most.....no payments for me, we're debt free and plan to stay that way.

People around here think their trucks are made of gold or something....not much in the 2-3k range. Even at 5k you're still getting something that needs work.....

#34 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

No more work yet, I've got time to think things through.....

On the queen mattress upgrade, my plan is to take the current bed support system and reuse what is there by extending the N/S supports with 3/8' plywood to the full 60" needed for the queen mattress, then reinstall and build out from there... This will allow me to not have to completely "re-engineer" the system. There was 1/4" plywood over that support system, and 1/4 exterior below the support system with E/W 3/4" x 1.5" strapping under the "exterior" bottom plywood. I'm still worried about the weight up there, and looking for a way to beef this up. The only connection to the side walls of that strapping is screw/staples. I don't know well enough about the weight holding capabilities of wood. I'd like to plan it to hold 1000#.....me at 300# (rounding up), the Mrs. (not listing), the mattress topper at 50# (memory foam x 4"). Any thoughts on this one?

Also, I want to add a window ac unit, but not as a window unit. The easiest thought on this is to widen a bed access door to fit the window ac unit, as we will mostly be dismounting the camper when we camp, having useful access to the truck to get around. I know cold air sinks. With this unit being so small, would this still be an acceptable idea? 

Thank you all for you thoughts.....having many minds together on the redesign allows me a bit of outlet for the thought process.....

#35 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Well, I didn't want the posts to die....but no real work on the camper this week. I did work on the truck and the transmission ist tot....

Dead...

Unusable....

I put in a helicoil on the stripped hole and I must have done so crooked because it will not seal. 2+ months of work basically down the drain on the truck. So, I'm either looking for a new transmission to put in a 22yo truck with 230+k miles, or, looking for a "new to me" truck. Unfortunately, I am on a super limited budget and pickups here are crazy priced.....I've got a budget of $2500 MAX for a truck....FYI, there are people parting out my same truck locally for $1800......stupid.....

If anyone knows a good used truck within 100 miles of Cincinnati that fits the bill, please let me know. Doesn't need 4wd, but does need a back seat for the kids. I'd prefer an F150 with the 5.4L, as I can transfer my new parts from my current truck over. 

Looks like I need some grace and prayers.....big time.

#36 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Well Brothers and Sisters.....I'm back!!! The Beast is dead, the Beast is dead, Long live the Beast.....

We have a new "Beast" at the house. A "new to me" 01 f150 Lariat 4x4 Screw....needs some TLC. First step is a new front end. Already replaced the rear diff cover and new fluid. Went to change the oil and PO had JB Welded the drain plug in to stop it from leaking after they stripped the plug. Even took the time to paint the JB Weld black. Funny part was that it was just the plug that had been stripped....took the plug out, cleaned all the JB Weld off the pan to make sure it wasn't rusted underneath, ran a M14 1.50 tap and cleaned it out. Put in the $4.99 new plug, all good....crazy what people will rig together instead of doing it right. 

Once I get the new "Beast" in full road worthiness, it will be back to the camper rocking away.....So many projects to get together at once. I've moved from the Hare to the Tortoise. Slow and steady......

#37 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

Go on Cory!

We are following....  thumbs up!

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#38 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

take care of that truck and she’ll take care of you

#39 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

Got my package from RockAuto yesterday!!! New inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, shifter, hoses, tranny filter, seals, fluids.....fun fun fun!!! Unfortunately....looks like rain this weekend. I'd really like to get one thing finished. I sat down last Saturday and wrote out my lists of "To Does"......2 full pages of 13"x24" paper that the kids use to draw on....the list is more daunting than I thought before, but it is nice to have a list..... 

#40 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

OHHHH....the fun of buying a "new to me" truck.....

Well, I got the rear diff cover changed....she starting leaking out the front....

Got the front changed and needed new u-joints.....

Got the front end apart, tie rods and idler arm off....

Went to take the pitman arm off and it froze on.....hammer, hammer, hammer.....fluid everywhere!!!!

Ok, new steering gearbox. 

PHEW.....that's a lot of repair....well....all done

Let's take it for a drive....

WOW, handles great...no shakes, tracks straight with my driveway alignment....cool

Hey, what's that. I saw a light flash...hmmmmm....that's the battery light....hey, there it is again....off again.....there it is again.....aw man.... come on, give me a break....

Looks like a new alternator is in order too....

Well, after that...back to stick and nail on the camper!!! And, of course, it's raining  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 92 Jayco Sportster, rebuild, slide in camper, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users