• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 gkendrick

gkendrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

We just picked up our new Ford Ranger (!) and will be having our FWC Fleet shell installed on it next week.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is putting a FWC on a new Ranger, since ours apparently may be one of the first in the USA.  Stay tuned as we move ahead with our shell build-out.

Our platform is a 2019 Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab, 6' bed, with FX4 package (including lots of skid plates) and towing package.  We'll be adding NERF bars/steps, and air bags and cradles once the aftermarket catches up.  The factory-provided LT tires (Hankook Dynapro ATM LT 265/65 17s) turned out to be only 6-ply and C-rated (grrrr), so we're replacing them with Falken Wildpeak E-rated tires.  

Initial driving impressions are very positive.  Smooth ride, solid, and the simple interior (XL) seems robust.  Terrain management system is impressive - essentially a cruise control for gnarly terrain.

I'll post some more photos once I figure out how to do that on this forum!

IMG_20190425_083353a.jpg

Edited by gkendrick, 04 May 2019 - 07:27 PM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Thank you for posting and welcome to WTW. I`'ll be curious how the parabolic leaf springs in the rear handle the weight. What is the payload capacity? Also, what is the maximum weight rating on the supplied Hankook LT tires?

Best of luck with your project.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

Welcome to the group

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 gkendrick

gkendrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

Yes, I'll be curious to see the leaf spring performance as well - I'm holding onto the option of adding some Hellwig helper springs once they become available, if we need them.  But the info we have thus far indicate the Ranger suspension should be able to handle the FWC shell OK. Time will tell.  Our Ranger's GVWR is 6,050 lbs and the door plate shows the payload capacity at 1,530 lbs.  A comparably-equipped Tacoma 4x4 has a payload of about 1,150 lbs, so we supposedly have about 400 lbs more capacity with the Ranger.

Our Fleet shell is coming in around 800 lbs, and I figure it should be in the 1,000-1,050 lb range by the time I'm done with my limited build-out.  So with passengers and gear we should be within the rated payload capacity.  Stay tuned on performance.

The factory Hankook LT tires are rated at 109T, with a maximum individual load of 2,270 lbs.  So I guess that, in theory, the Hankooks can handle a GVRW up to 9,000 lbs.  But they have a 6-ply rating including just a 2-ply sidewall, which I feel doesn't really cut it for hauling a FWC in off-road conditions, especially in aired-down situations.  

#5 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:41 AM

The "cruise control" feature for rough terrain is also in our Tacoma (called "crawl mode"). It's pretty amazing, especially in the lowest gear. It makes some strange noises which I believe is basically the anti-lock brakes going on and off, sometimes many times a second. I'm new to four wheel driving, but I'm amazed at what it can do by preventing wheel slippage. It seems like it's just a software thing with the anti-lock system, which is clever and I'm sure the manufacturers are enjoying selling the feature at little cost.

I'm almost wondering if a locking diff isn't really necessary, although we've used that too a couple times when we did NOT want to slip. There was one steep ridge where I was a skosh nervous about slipping, or stopping, and really wanted to make it up to the top where it wasn't white-knuckle driving any more. That's when the rear locking differential gave me some confidence. However, the truck seemed to go up like it was no big deal. If we'd slipped part way up and trended to one side or the other, or had to back down... well... hmmm... Anyway perhaps using the crawl mode is essentially the same effect on mitigating wheel slippage.

Sounds like you have a worthy vehicle.

By the way, we watched weight like a Hawk, er, Fleet, but somehow we put on several hundred pounds more than I estimated pre-delivery. We've been up to 700 lb overweight. The truck doesn't seem to care. I'm still not sure where the weight is coming from -- maybe more water than I thought, too much food, extras like compressor and too many clothes. We even took out some stuff we don't use, like the bed extender and pads, one of the propane canisters, etc. I like to weigh any time we pass a weigh station. 'Tis fun to track.

We had P tires that supposedly were plenty macho according to the numbers, but after puncturing a sidewall past Cerro Gordo on another tricky section, decided to get E tires. So far the E tires (BFG KO2) have performed well in terms of gas mileage and noise, which I thought would be worse. No problems wandering Mojave Preserve and Death Valley but our experience is limited with the new tires.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#6 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:43 AM

By the way, we have been very happy with the simple "Sumosprings". Even overloaded, the truck is stable, level, handles well on and off pavement. So easy to install -- took me 30 minutes and I'm a dufus.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

We just picked up our new Ford Ranger (!) and will be having our FWC Fleet shell installed on it next week.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is putting a FWC on a new Ranger, since ours apparently may be one of the first in the USA.  Stay tuned as we move ahead with our shell build-out.

Our platform is a 2019 Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab, 6' bed, with FX4 package (including lots of skid plates) and towing package.  We'll be adding NERF bars/steps, and air bags and cradles once the aftermarket catches up.  The factory-provided LT tires (Hankook Dynapro ATM LT 265/65 17s) turned out to be only 6-ply and C-rated (grrrr), so we're replacing them with Falken Wildpeak E-rated tires.  

Initial driving impressions are very positive.  Smooth ride, solid, and the simple interior (XL) seems robust.  Terrain management system is impressive - essentially a cruise control for gnarly terrain.

I'll post some more photos once I figure out how to do that on this forum!

attachicon.gifIMG_20190425_083353a.jpg

Welcome to the cult.

Thanks for posting the truck photo.

I am happy to see Ford come back with the Ranger.

Post more photos as you can.

Have fun with your new toy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Rich&Kim

Rich&Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Clemente, CA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:16 AM

The "cruise control" feature for rough terrain is also in our Tacoma (called "crawl mode"). It's pretty amazing, especially in the lowest gear. It makes some strange noises which I believe is basically the anti-lock brakes going on and off, sometimes many times a second. I'm new to four wheel driving, but I'm amazed at what it can do by preventing wheel slippage. It seems like it's just a software thing with the anti-lock system, which is clever and I'm sure the manufacturers are enjoying selling the feature at little cost.

I'm almost wondering if a locking diff isn't really necessary, although we've used that too a couple times when we did NOT want to slip. There was one steep ridge where I was a skosh nervous about slipping, or stopping, and really wanted to make it up to the top where it wasn't white-knuckle driving any more. That's when the rear locking differential gave me some confidence. However, the truck seemed to go up like it was no big deal. If we'd slipped part way up and trended to one side or the other, or had to back down... well... hmmm... Anyway perhaps using the crawl mode is essentially the same effect on mitigating wheel slippage.

Sounds like you have a worthy vehicle.

By the way, we watched weight like a Hawk, er, Fleet, but somehow we put on several hundred pounds more than I estimated pre-delivery. We've been up to 700 lb overweight. The truck doesn't seem to care. I'm still not sure where the weight is coming from -- maybe more water than I thought, too much food, extras like compressor and too many clothes. We even took out some stuff we don't use, like the bed extender and pads, one of the propane canisters, etc. I like to weigh any time we pass a weigh station. 'Tis fun to track.

We had P tires that supposedly were plenty macho according to the numbers, but after puncturing a sidewall past Cerro Gordo on another tricky section, decided to get E tires. So far the E tires (BFG KO2) have performed well in terms of gas mileage and noise, which I thought would be worse. No problems wandering Mojave Preserve and Death Valley but our experience is limited with the new tires.

The locking diff is a must. You really double your traction.

#9 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:41 AM

We are ordering a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 for our Fleet. It's currently on a 2005 Tacoma with 1750000 mi - time to send it out to pasture.

The Fleet needs to be lifted a couple of inches above the bed. Do you know what they will install? If not, can you please post when you find out?

On the Tacoma, we found that keeping the tailgate was very useful. It made for a nice small step at the top, above a plastic two-step Rubbermaid step. The tailgate also serves as a sturdy support for a 20 liter gas can. If you keep the tailgate on the Ranger, please let me know how that works out.

(The downside on the Tacoma with a tailgate is the spare tire. You need to crawl under with a 14mm wrench to get it.)

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#10 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:37 AM

One million seven hundred fifty thousand miles has to be a record.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four wheel camper, FWC, Fleet shell, Ranger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users